FLM films - My Webpage

2003-01-06 01:05:17+00:00 - DVD Season 1, bad video quality - (moon@bostar.com)

Hi Everyone, Has anyone else had problems with poor video quality in the DVDs for Season 1? I'm not referring to the original film noise (scratches, spots, etc, which MGM didn't lift a finger to try to correct) - I mean compression artifacts and graininess (especially in dark areas). At times it looks pretty bad. In "The Galaxy Being", for example, black areas contain what looks like old-fashioned analog "snow" noise. A VHS recording of the same episode shows the black areas as completely uniform. Are there problems with this set of DVDs that anyone else has noticed? BTW - my player is a Sony DVP-NS300. I don't think the player is at fault, though, since it does pretty well with most other DVDs. The only other DVD set where I've seen this sort of issue is Stargate SG-1 season 2. Thanks for taking the time to read this message. Take care, everyone! BOMOON

2003-01-06 16:54:53-05:00 - Re: DVD Season 1, bad video quality - (Saucer Man <saucerman@nospam.com>)

YES, they are bad. I think it has something to do with them compressing all these episodes onto 4 discs. I noticed this artifacting and mentioned it here a while ago. Can't do anything about it now. I doubt they will correct it...unless maybe...enough of us complain big time! Rich "BOMOON" <moon@bostar.com> wrote in message news:3e18d401.10053946@news.mv.net... > Hi Everyone, > Has anyone else had problems with poor video quality in the DVDs for > Season 1? I'm not referring to the original film noise (scratches, > spots, etc, which MGM didn't lift a finger to try to correct) - I mean > compression artifacts and graininess (especially in dark areas). > > At times it looks pretty bad. In "The Galaxy Being", for example, > black areas contain what looks like old-fashioned analog "snow" noise. > A VHS recording of the same episode shows the black areas as > completely uniform. > > Are there problems with this set of DVDs that anyone else has noticed? > BTW - my player is a Sony DVP-NS300. I don't think the player is at > fault, though, since it does pretty well with most other DVDs. The > only other DVD set where I've seen this sort of issue is Stargate SG-1 > season 2. > > Thanks for taking the time to read this message. Take care, everyone! > > BOMOON

2003-01-08 01:58:19+00:00 - Re: DVD Season 1, bad video quality - ("Patrick D. Rockwell" <hnhc85a@prodigy.net>)

"Saucer Man" <saucerman@nospam.com> wrote in message news:mPmS9.21210$wQ1.9297@fe01... > YES, they are bad. I think it has something to do with them compressing all > these episodes onto 4 discs. I noticed this artifacting and mentioned it > here a while ago. Can't do anything about it now. I doubt they will > correct it...unless maybe...enough of us complain big time! > > Rich > > > "BOMOON" <moon@bostar.com> wrote in message > news:3e18d401.10053946@news.mv.net... > > Hi Everyone, > > Has anyone else had problems with poor video quality in the DVDs for > > Season 1? I'm not referring to the original film noise (scratches, > > spots, etc, which MGM didn't lift a finger to try to correct) - I mean > > compression artifacts and graininess (especially in dark areas). > > > > At times it looks pretty bad. In "The Galaxy Being", for example, > > black areas contain what looks like old-fashioned analog "snow" noise. > > A VHS recording of the same episode shows the black areas as > > completely uniform. > > > > Are there problems with this set of DVDs that anyone else has noticed? > > BTW - my player is a Sony DVP-NS300. I don't think the player is at > > fault, though, since it does pretty well with most other DVDs. The > > only other DVD set where I've seen this sort of issue is Stargate SG-1 > > season 2. > > > > Thanks for taking the time to read this message. Take care, everyone! > > > > BOMOON Maybe I didn't pay attention, but the only problem that I noticed was that there were some inaccuracies in the close captions.