FLM films - My Webpage

2006-02-16 00:50:42+00:00 - Stream - (Cubit <no@not.not>)

My favorite episode on the new Outer Limits is called Stream Of Consciousness. It is about a society where everyone is linked brain to brain.

2006-02-17 07:09:19-08:00 - Re: Stream - (Num Lock <sidpacker@nospam.cox.net>)

Actually, the concept was very scary. Everyone (except the one guy) was, in effect, hooked up to "the stream" or, as we know it, "the internet". No one was able to think for him/herself, and when the system had to be shut down, the one person that couldn't be hooked up was found to be teaching everyone else. This is already true today - people that work in fast food cannot think for themselves. They have to rely on the cash register, or "stream" to make change for them. So it begins. SCARY STUFF! On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:50:42 GMT, "Cubit" <no@not.not> wrote: >My favorite episode on the new Outer Limits is called Stream Of >Consciousness. It is about a society where everyone is linked brain to >brain. > >

2006-02-18 16:31:26+00:00 - Re: Stream - (Cubit <no@not.not>)

Scary, but as plausible as having a ship's computer play chess, as was portrayed in "2001." Brain to brain interfacing would evolve, both in technology and in intent. What begins as a library or entertainment method would evolve toward a sharing of consciousness. Once one feels a consciousness involving a group of minds, I think one would tend to forget the importance of one's individual brain. This a fatal error, but the idea of what constitutes one's self will change. A damaged body would be replaced. However, the reality that would be forgotten is that the real you just died with that body. I had surgery a few weeks ago and millions of my cells are now dead. I don't miss them, but I should. What makes a brain cell any more special than other cells? One might say because the brain cell is involved in consciousness. However, as one's consciousness moves from the body to a "stream" the original brain cells will seem just as expendable as those I lost in surgery. "Num Lock" <sidpacker@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message news:okpbv19vaa32manebrqjqgi1sure4ea607@4ax.com... > Actually, the concept was very scary. Everyone (except the one guy) > was, in effect, hooked up to "the stream" or, as we know it, "the > internet". No one was able to think for him/herself, and when the > system had to be shut down, the one person that couldn't be hooked up > was found to be teaching everyone else. > > This is already true today - people that work in fast food cannot > think for themselves. They have to rely on the cash register, or > "stream" to make change for them. So it begins. SCARY STUFF! > > On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:50:42 GMT, "Cubit" <no@not.not> wrote: > > >My favorite episode on the new Outer Limits is called Stream Of > >Consciousness. It is about a society where everyone is linked brain to > >brain. > > > > >