FLM films - My Webpage

2001-09-16 07:16:10+00:00 - 8th season? - (Toolian <thepress4@netscape.net>)

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone knows what the odds are, of their being an 8th season of OL, for SciFi? Should be doin' well enough for such to happen, right?

2001-09-16 14:43:26+00:00 - Re: 8th season? - (apbluthman@aol.com)

>Subject: 8th season? >From: "Toolian" thepress4@netscape.net >Date: 9/16/01 3:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time >Message-id: <nabalzbhfflfgrzpbz.gjqs2s2.pminews@news.earthlink.net> > > > > >Hey all, > > >I was wondering if anyone knows what the odds are, of their being an 8th >season of OL, for SciFi? > >Should be doin' well enough for such to happen, right? Never thought I would write this. But . . . given the sixth and seventh, you want an eighth??? OL was at its best when exploring themes that beset our psyches and our society. The theme of paranoia that went through the 1960s episodes was ideal for the time and setting. I was hoping for a similar exploration in the 1990s version, and was overwhelmed by such eps. as "The Second Soul" and "Tribunal". By the standard of such eps., most of the past two/three seasons have been a waste. Time-travel cliches; "cheat endings" of moral characters caught on the wrong side (once or twice is enough, "The Light Brigade", e. g., but repetitively??); stories of technology carelessly or wilfully used for evil/destructive purposes, though without any thought to protecting society from its effects, etc. Even if OL chooses not to create anything truly "new" in SF, isn't there sixty years of classic SF stories to be "mined" for purchase and adaptation? Alvin P. Bluthman apbluthman@aol.com

2001-09-20 09:03:33+00:00 - Re: 8th season? - (Toolian <thepress4@netscape.net>)

On 16 Sep 2001 14:43:26 GMT, APBluthman wrote: > >Never thought I would write this. But . . . given the sixth and seventh, you >want an eighth??? > I dont know, I didnt think every single episode of sixth season was that incredibly bad (I really cant say anything about seventh however, since ..well, I havent had a chance to see any yet), surely had to be at least as good as the other stuff on teevee (if not better)... >OL was at its best when exploring themes that beset our psyches and our >society. > Well, OL doesnt seem to have drifted from such, that I've noticed anyway, but yes, such episodes were definitely enjoyable too. >The theme of paranoia that went through the 1960s episodes was ideal for the >time and setting. > >I was hoping for a similar exploration in the 1990s version, and was >overwhelmed by such eps. as "The Second Soul" and "Tribunal". By the standard >of such eps., most of the past two/three seasons have been a waste. Time-travel >cliches; "cheat endings" of moral characters caught on the wrong side (once or >twice is enough, "The Light Brigade", e. g., but repetitively??); stories of >technology carelessly or wilfully used for evil/destructive purposes, though >without any thought to protecting society from its effects, etc. Even if OL >chooses not to create anything truly "new" in SF, isn't there sixty years of >classic SF stories to be "mined" for purchase and adaptation? > Hmm...I think it would be pretty well difficult to come up with a concept for a story, thats absolutely 100% original (i.e. borrowing nothing from any previous ideas), I could be wrong, but, I think theres almost always going to be a few constants especially with scifi/horror; the human race is going to be fighting for survival, or freedom, against your stereotypical, evil aliens (or we appear to be the bad guys, and are giving some alien, or aliens a hard time), techology created, and used for a sinister purposes, government conspiracies, moral delema's. Theres undoubtled probably a few more I didnt mention, but, I think almost any story you can come up with, is altimately going to involve one of these as a plot, or subplot ...almost inexcapable...the best you can do, is to ...retell it in another way, of which has already been done, several times in fact... Maybe somebody, somehow will be lucky enough, and submit an interesting story to the OL production, and have it produced. Maybe even something thats actually pretty close to being original ...be kind of nice... that is if OL does that. >Alvin P. Bluthman >apbluthman@aol.com

2001-09-24 03:35:16+00:00 - Re: 8th season? - (joshua fraim <theimortal2@home.com>)

true that if there is another season we will probably get a few more tipping points and free spirits (bad ones), but then we also won't see any more mona lisas or abductions (good ones). unfortunately you take the good with the bad. even the best series don't have every single episode be perfect or even good. "Toolian" <thepress4@netscape.net> wrote in message news:nabalzbhfflfgrzpbz.gjqs2s2.pminews@news.earthlink.net... > > > > Hey all, > > > I was wondering if anyone knows what the odds are, of their being an 8th > season of OL, for SciFi? > > Should be doin' well enough for such to happen, right? > > >