FLM films - My Webpage

2001-03-31 14:22:36+00:00 - New Life is poor-man's "A Feasibility Study " - (charles novins <cnovins@hotmail.com>)

I think the major problem with TNOL is lack of originality. I don't mind when they re-make the best shows from the original series, but simply plagiarizing some of the earlier ideas is not enough. New Life was essentially a cautionary tale, illustrating John Kay's (of the band Steppenwolf) statement, "Too much blind faith will blind you." But a better story, as in the original "Feasibility," or even "Second Chance," would have seen the aliens outsmarted by human ingenuity. I have a question for the group: People must submit scripts to the show all the time, and most must be rejected. I imagine many would be good reading. Is there any resource for them?

2001-03-31 20:16:45+00:00 - Re: New Life is poor-man's "A Feasibility Study " - (Dan Hartung <dhartung@spamcop.net>)

"charles novins" <cnovins@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MKlx6.455605$w35.70526362@news1.rdc1.nj.home.com... > I think the major problem with TNOL is lack of originality. I don't mind > when they re-make the best shows from the original series, but simply > plagiarizing some of the earlier ideas is not enough. New Life was > essentially a cautionary tale, illustrating John Kay's (of the band > Steppenwolf) statement, "Too much blind faith will blind you." But a better > story, as in the original "Feasibility," or even "Second Chance," would have > seen the aliens outsmarted by human ingenuity. As I've noted, way too much of TOL falls into this "cautionary tale" subgenre. It makes many of the stories annoyingly similar. I guess one of the nagging things I felt about it was that Daniel *did* go so far as to make it up to the starship above. But he was punished for this, as well. His friend Tom showed loyalty, and he was punished. Very troubling. > I have a question for the group: People must submit scripts to the show all > the time, and most must be rejected. I imagine many would be good reading. > Is there any resource for them? I don't know that TOL accepts script submissions. Like most established shows, they seem to have a stable of writers they've worked with in the past. What probably happens is that this list of writers is invited to pitch story ideas (say, 3-5) in a meeting with the story editors. The ones they like may get story treatments, e.g. short narrative write-ups. From that they will cull the stories that will actually get scripted.

2001-04-01 05:03:14+00:00 - Re: New Life is poor-man's "A Feasibility Study " - (stoodin101@aol.com)

2001-04-10 21:21:35+06:00 - Re: New Life is poor-man's "A Feasibility Study " - ("[Triskelion Matrix]" <NOtriskelion@mindspring.com>)