FLM films - My Webpage

1999-09-08 00:00:00 - Lack of messages - (Wesley Van Gelderen's News <vangelwesl@scs.vuw.ac.nz>)

Arn't there any fans here. Everytime I check this newsgroup there are no new messages, what's up with you people, I'm not the only one who is an outer limits fan surely.... Anyway I'd better say something about the show, there seems to be a lack of money put into the show, has anyone noticed how budget the sets are, not that that's a problem, I'm just unimpressed. But the true briliance, which is the outer limits still gets across. If there are and Profit fans out there, you must of been impressed when profit met the outer limits. Even though the episode was quite lame, nonetheless magnificent.

1999-09-08 00:00:00 - Re: Lack of messages - (pwinter@best.com)

In article <936765255.515190@totara.its.vuw.ac.nz>, Wesley Van Gelderen's News <vangelwesl@scs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote: >Arn't there any fans here. Everytime I check this newsgroup there are no >new messages, what's up with you people, I'm not the only one who is an >outer limits fan surely.... I think a lot of the posters here are in the U.S. watching the series on Showtime. Now that the season has ended, things are naturally a little quieter. But feel free to start up a discussion on any episodes you like! Patty

1999-09-10 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com)

In article <7rbks9$347o$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>, "Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net> wrote: > > I managed to obtain three videos a couple of years ago - > > 'Nightmare/Soldier', 'OBIT/Corpus Earthling' and 'Feasibility Study/Fun > > and Games', Unfortunately for you, the only old episodes you > manged to find are mostly lesser quality ones. Try locating some of the > other ones. Wouldn't it have been a good idea to cite "some of the other ones" by name? (I think that "The Sixth Finger," "The Man Who was Never Born," "Don't Open Till Doomsday," and "The Architects of Fear" are classics that are well worth seeking out. I also love the episode "ZZZZZ.") I think, incidentally, that the set of episodes he's got is decent. "Corpus Earthling" and "A Feasibility Study" are outstanding episodes. The only real dud among his bunch, I'd say, is Fun and Games. > "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." > > -Voltaire "If we take in our hand any volume of divinity, or school metaphysics, for instance, let us ask: Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity and number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning, concerning matters of fact and existence? No. Commit it then, to the flames, for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion." -- David Hume Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

1999-09-10 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - ("Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net>)

Chiggie Red Baron <graeme@airnorth1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:CcXZcCARiV23EwFY@airnorth1.demon.co.uk... > In article <7rbks9$347o$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>, "Robert F. > Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net> writes > > The last 2 definitely are old OL episodes. As for the one about > >people hiding from aliens on a plane, I don't recall that (anyone have an > >episode name for that?) > > They weren't on a plane, only passengers from a plane, who had been > transported to some alien spacecraft, which IIRC was a flat stage with > various walls and pyramid shaped objects stuck on it.... Unfortunately I > don't have a guide to the original series eps. > > I also remember seeing a book about SF series, which featured an insect > like alien with multiple, multi-coloured legs - this was supposed to be > from an OL ep - which one? Can't recall the name, but I remember the episode you are mentioning. I was thinking from the post that all this happened *inside* an airplane. IIRC, the episode was "A Feasibility Study", but I may be confusing episodes here. As for the episode with an insect like alien, that sounds like it would be "The Zanti Misfits", the plot of which is about an alien civilization of insect-like beings decides to exile its criminals to Earth (*without* the consent of Earth), the criminals escape, and are ultimately killed by Earthlings. The odd twist is that at the end, it turns out that the alien civilization was sort of hoping that the Earthlings *would* kill these criminals. It turns out the aliens were too squeamish to actually inflict capital punishment on their own kind. As for "multi-colored legs", this book obviously was using some imagination in the depiction. The original Outer Limits series was filmed in black and white, thus with the shows many "monsters", the viewer was left to imagining any colors they might have been. Interestingly enough, probably a good thing. If the idea is to be "creepy", black and white often works better for creating the mood. And, oddly enough, even though the series was nominally science fiction, the network wanted it for "horror" value, and expected the producers to deliver a "monster every week". This fact, BTW, explains the utter ridiculous episode title "Demon With A Glass Hand", which had no "demon", just an ordinary looking guy with a glass hand, who at the end learns he is an android, not a real human. The plot of that one was simple science fiction w/o any "monster", but the producers put "Demon" in the title to try to pull a fast one on the network. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

<Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7rc0c8$2jc$1@nnrp1.deja.com... > In article <7rbks9$347o$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>, > Wouldn't it have been a good idea to cite "some of the other ones" > by name? (I think that "The Sixth Finger," "The Man Who was Never > Born," "Don't Open Till Doomsday," and "The Architects of Fear" are > classics that are well worth seeking out. I also love the episode > "ZZZZZ.") > > I think, incidentally, that the set of episodes he's got is decent. > "Corpus Earthling" and "A Feasibility Study" are outstanding episodes. > The only real dud among his bunch, I'd say, is Fun and Games. If you wish specific episode titles considered superb, I would put "The Architects of Fear" as the absolute best (hey, we agree on something.) Also at the top of the heap, see "The Bellero Shield", "The Man Who Was Never Born", "O.B.I.T.", "Behold, Eck!" I'd agree that "A Feasibility Study" is at the top of the heap (BTW, I misidentified and incorrectly calling another episode that. I now know which is which.) There are other worthwhile episodes, I only single out the very best here. The two one should most avoid, "Tourist Attraction", and the absolute bottom of the barrel "Cry of Silence". -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

Robert F. Golaszewski <mildred@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:7rbks9$347o$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com... > > The only other ones I (vaguely) remember were one about passengers from > > a plane trying to hide from aliens, another about 'sand sharks' on Mars > > (?) and one starring William Shatner. > The last 2 definitely are old OL episodes. As for the one about > people hiding from aliens on a plane, I don't recall that (anyone have an > episode name for that?) Unfortunately for you, the only old episodes you > manged to find are mostly lesser quality ones. Try locating some of the > other ones. The episode with people from a plane was "The Probe", and was the original series last episode. The "sand sharks" is "The Invisible Enemy", and the William Shatner one "Cold Hands, Warm Heart". -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-10 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - ("Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net>)

Robert F. Golaszewski <mildred@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:7rbteg$7aik$1@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com... > Can't recall the name, but I remember the episode you are mentioning. I > was thinking from the post that all this happened *inside* an airplane. > IIRC, the episode was "A Feasibility Study", but I may be confusing > episodes here. Bzzzzzzt. I got that wrong. The episode here was "The Probe". -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-10 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (djohn37050@aol.com)

My fav is "Sixth Finger" Also "Man who was Never Born" Don Johnson

DJohn37050 <djohn37050@aol.com> wrote in message news:19990910195240.23301.00007219@ng-cm1.aol.com... > My fav is "Sixth Finger" Also "Man who was Never Born" > Don Johnson Definitely put "The Man Who Was Never Born" near the top. And, as I comment in another thread, this episode seems to have been reused for the film "Terminator". -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-10 00:00:00 - Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Chiggie Red Baron <graeme@airnorth1.demon.co.uk>)

In article <7r61uo$18b$1@shell5.ba.best.com>, Patty Winter <pwinter@best.com> writes >In article <936765255.515190@totara.its.vuw.ac.nz>, >Wesley Van Gelderen's News <vangelwesl@scs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote: >>Arn't there any fans here. Everytime I check this newsgroup there are no >>new messages, what's up with you people, I'm not the only one who is an >>outer limits fan surely.... > >I think a lot of the posters here are in the U.S. watching the >series on Showtime. Now that the season has ended, things are >naturally a little quieter. But feel free to start up a discussion >on any episodes you like! > Where are the original episodes shown now? I reckon OL (the original series) was one of the first sci-fi series I actually watched - back in the late seventies BBC2 (UK) showed it around midnight or so. I was only around nine or ten or so, but was allowed to stay up and watch them. I managed to obtain three videos a couple of years ago - 'Nightmare/Soldier', 'OBIT/Corpus Earthling' and 'Feasibility Study/Fun and Games', but haven't seen any more in my local Forbidden Planet. The only other ones I (vaguely) remember were one about passengers from a plane trying to hide from aliens, another about 'sand sharks' on Mars (?) and one starring William Shatner. Can anyone tell me if these were indeed OL episodes, and a little more about them? -- Graeme Carrott Chairman, Air North, Newcastle upon Tyne http://www.airnorth.demon.co.uk and new fax number: 0870-0560117 Currently Listening To: 'Gran Turismo' - The Cardigans Currently Reading: 'Target Berlin - Mission 250 6 March 1944' - Ethell/Price

Chiggie Red Baron <graeme@airnorth1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:r8NT0EA7KV23EwCe@airnorth1.demon.co.uk... > >I think a lot of the posters here are in the U.S. watching the > >series on Showtime. Now that the season has ended, things are > >naturally a little quieter. But feel free to start up a discussion > >on any episodes you like! > > > Where are the original episodes shown now? > > I reckon OL (the original series) was one of the first sci-fi series I > actually watched - back in the late seventies BBC2 (UK) showed it around > midnight or so. I was only around nine or ten or so, but was allowed to > stay up and watch them. > > I managed to obtain three videos a couple of years ago - > 'Nightmare/Soldier', 'OBIT/Corpus Earthling' and 'Feasibility Study/Fun > and Games', but haven't seen any more in my local Forbidden Planet. > > The only other ones I (vaguely) remember were one about passengers from > a plane trying to hide from aliens, another about 'sand sharks' on Mars > (?) and one starring William Shatner. > > Can anyone tell me if these were indeed OL episodes, and a little more > about them? The last 2 definitely are old OL episodes. As for the one about people hiding from aliens on a plane, I don't recall that (anyone have an episode name for that?) Unfortunately for you, the only old episodes you manged to find are mostly lesser quality ones. Try locating some of the other ones. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-10 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Chiggie Red Baron <graeme@airnorth1.demon.co.uk>)

In article <7rbks9$347o$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>, "Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net> writes > The last 2 definitely are old OL episodes. As for the one about >people hiding from aliens on a plane, I don't recall that (anyone have an >episode name for that?) They weren't on a plane, only passengers from a plane, who had been transported to some alien spacecraft, which IIRC was a flat stage with various walls and pyramid shaped objects stuck on it.... Unfortunately I don't have a guide to the original series eps. I also remember seeing a book about SF series, which featured an insect like alien with multiple, multi-coloured legs - this was supposed to be from an OL ep - which one? -- Graeme Carrott Chairman, Air North, Newcastle upon Tyne http://www.airnorth.demon.co.uk and new fax number: 0870-0560117 Currently Listening To: 'Gran Turismo' - The Cardigans Currently Reading: 'Target Berlin - Mission 250 6 March 1944' - Ethell/Price

1999-09-10 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com)

In article <CcXZcCARiV23EwFY@airnorth1.demon.co.uk>, Chiggie Red Baron <graeme@airnorth1.demon.co.uk> wrote: > > I also remember seeing a book about SF series, which featured an insect > like alien with multiple, multi-coloured legs - this was supposed to be > from an OL ep - which one? The episode -- which is black & white, incidentally -- is The Zanti Misfits. Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

1999-09-11 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com)

In article <7rc3tq$82se$1@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>, "Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net> wrote: > > If you wish specific episode titles considered superb, I would put > "The Architects of Fear" as the absolute best Yes, this is a brilliant episode. Culp is excellent, especially when he reacts badly to the surgery and goes berserk, purporting to be "Caliban...with a Ph.D." > Also at the top of the heap, see "The Bellero Shield", "The > Man Who Was Never Born", "O.B.I.T.", "Behold, Eck!" I'm looking for a copies of "The Bellero Shield" and "O.B.I.T." > The two one should most avoid, "Tourist Attraction", and the absolute > bottom of the barrel "Cry of Silence". I haven't seen TA, but the consensus is definitely that it's a major dud. "Moonstone," "The Duplicate Man," and "The Human Factor," and "Fun and Games" were also flops, in my view. Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

1999-09-11 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (stoodin101@aol.com)

In article <19990910225207.01622.00004794@ng-fs1.aol.com>, stoodin101@aol.com (StoOdin101) wrote: > > Wouldn't it have been a good idea to cite "some of the other ones" > > by name? > > For my $, the eps one MUST see to appreciate the original series are > > THE ARCHITECTS OF FEAR > THE MAN WHO WAS NEVER BORN > THE SIXTH FINGER > A FEASIBILITY STUDY > DON'T OPEN TILL DOOMSDAY > IT CRAWLED OUT OF THE WOODWORK > THE BELLERO SHIELD > DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND > THE INHERITORS > FORMS OF THINGS UNKNOWN I'm looking for copies of The Inheritors and The Bellero Shield. I've got the others you list here -- and I agree that they are all must-sees. > > " The one test of the really weird is just this -- whether or not there be > excited in the reader a profound sense of dread, and of contact with unknown > spheres and powers...." --- H.P. Lovecraft > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

1999-09-11 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com)

In article <19990910224808.01622.00004789@ng-fs1.aol.com>, stoodin101@aol.com (StoOdin101) wrote: > >one about passengers from > > a plane trying to hide from aliens, another about 'sand sharks' on Mars > > (?) and one starring William Shatner. > > These are all from the vastly inferior second season of the series. The > "passengers" ep was THE PROBE. The "SharK' is THE INVISIBLE ENEMY and Shatner > starred in "COLD HANDS WARM HEART" in which he began to mutate into a Venusian > after orbiting Venus in the Project Vulcan space probe. StoOdin, I find your judgements re: OL episodes to be impeccable. So I'm going to ask you: Is Premonition worth buying? Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

1999-09-11 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - ("Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net>)

StoOdin101 <stoodin101@aol.com> wrote in message news:19990910225207.01622.00004794@ng-fs1.aol.com... > > Wouldn't it have been a good idea to cite "some of the other ones" > > by name? > > For my $, the eps one MUST see to appreciate the original series are > > THE ARCHITECTS OF FEAR > THE MAN WHO WAS NEVER BORN > THE SIXTH FINGER > A FEASIBILITY STUDY > DON'T OPEN TILL DOOMSDAY > IT CRAWLED OUT OF THE WOODWORK > THE BELLERO SHIELD > DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND > THE INHERITORS > FORMS OF THINGS UNKNOWN Only one I'd dispute is "The Inheritors". At best mediocre, and made worse by the fact it was a double length episode and thus fatally overlong. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

<Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7rcod5$ilj$1@nnrp1.deja.com... > I'm looking for copies of The Inheritors and The Bellero Shield. > I've got the others you list here -- and I agree that they are > all must-sees. One to really seek out is "The Bellero Shield". Very good episode. The only serious criticism is the writing/directing of the Sally Kellerman character. At the beginning, she is completely amoral and scheming, but at the end goes insane because of guilt over what she has done. Doesn't seem to fit that she suddenly gets such a conscience, given she seems to be totally lacking conscience early on. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-11 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Chiggie Red Baron <graeme@airnorth1.demon.co.uk>)

In article <7rc0c8$2jc$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com writes > Wouldn't it have been a good idea to cite "some of the other ones" >by name? (I think that "The Sixth Finger," "The Man Who was Never >Born," "Don't Open Till Doomsday," and "The Architects of Fear" are >classics that are well worth seeking out. I also love the episode >"ZZZZZ.") > > I think, incidentally, that the set of episodes he's got is decent. > "Corpus Earthling" and "A Feasibility Study" are outstanding episodes. > The only real dud among his bunch, I'd say, is Fun and Games. > I quite like 'Soldier' and 'A Feasibility Study' - the FX for the aliens in the latter seemed to be fairly good for 1950's standards - congealing people! And yes, I wasn't that impressed with 'Fun and Games' - but the whole thing was a nostalgia trip.... -- Graeme Carrott Chairman, Air North, Newcastle upon Tyne http://www.airnorth.demon.co.uk and new fax number: 0870-0560117 Currently Listening To: 'Gran Turismo' - The Cardigans Currently Reading: 'Target Berlin - Mission 250 6 March 1944' - Ethell/Price

Chiggie Red Baron <graeme@airnorth1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:hsnRQCARBl23Ewjl@airnorth1.demon.co.uk... > In article <7rc0c8$2jc$1@nnrp1.deja.com>, Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com > writes > > Wouldn't it have been a good idea to cite "some of the other ones" > >by name? (I think that "The Sixth Finger," "The Man Who was Never > >Born," "Don't Open Till Doomsday," and "The Architects of Fear" are > >classics that are well worth seeking out. I also love the episode > >"ZZZZZ.") > > > > I think, incidentally, that the set of episodes he's got is decent. > > "Corpus Earthling" and "A Feasibility Study" are outstanding episodes. > > The only real dud among his bunch, I'd say, is Fun and Games. > > > I quite like 'Soldier' and 'A Feasibility Study' - the FX for the aliens > in the latter seemed to be fairly good for 1950's standards - congealing > people! > > And yes, I wasn't that impressed with 'Fun and Games' - but the whole > thing was a nostalgia trip.... The original OL was from 1963-1965, so the special effects of the relevant era are those of the mid-1960's. However, the OL at that time was hampered by limited budgets, thus special effects were always *way* below as good as they could have been, because they didn't have that kind of money. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

StoOdin101 <stoodin101@aol.com> wrote in message news:19990911145209.17162.00007236@ng-fe1.aol.com... > >. Doesn't seem > >to fit that she suddenly gets such a conscience, given she seems to be > >totally lacking conscience early on. > Read MACBETH, which is the story that Joseph Stefano derived BELLERO SHIELD > from, and you'll see that Shakespeare's Lady Macbeth is EXACTLY the same. If it > was good enough for the Bard, it's good enough for OL. ; ) "Out, damned spot! out, I say!" Yes, I am quite familiar with the fact the Sally Kellerman character seems obviously modeled on Lady Macbeth (in particular, that spot of alien blood on her hand.) The obvious problem is how do you in a short play (or, 50 minute TV program) have a characters conscience gradually evolve. I did say this episode was one of the very best. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-11 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series: Zanti Misfits - ("M. Renee" <mrci@erols.com>)

1999-09-11 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series: Zanti Misfits - ("Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net>)

<Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7retq9$vrj$1@nnrp1.deja.com... > In article <37DB0A04.90B3399F@erols.com>, > And, if the regents of the planet Zanti are so evolved as to be > incapable of killing their own, how could they send the misfits to earth > when they _knew_ that the people of earth would kill them? This is > totally inconsistent. Correct. They are technology sophisticated enough to handle interstellar travel, but philosophically so backwards they can't see that actually killing their own and having some aliens do them in are effectively the same. IOW, they used human beings as their version of an electric chair. About the only thing that might make sense is that why they are able to send their own to their death, something about their psychology doesn't allow them to do it by their own "hands" (or, whatever Zanti's would use to kill.) However, then why not just lock them on the ship, and set it on an unalterable programmed course one way into deep space? -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-12 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series: Zanti Misfits - (Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com)

In article <37DB0A04.90B3399F@erols.com>, "M. Renee" <mrci@erols.com> wrote: > that is one ep that always gave me the willies! imagined things crawling on > me. maybe it was the sound the creatures made or something.... I _loved_ and was terrified by this episode as a youngster. The scenes in which we see Ben approaching the Zantis' ship from _inside_ the ship really build up tension. Then, there's that amazing scene where the ship's hatch opens and the animated Zantis come marching out. I also loved the moment when Ben's girlfriend, who is hiding in the car, notices the Zanti on her windshield, and the creature sort of leers at her. Early in the show, while debating with the military guy the soundness of peaceably allowing the Zantis to live on earth, the historian notices an ant crawling on a wooden beam, and flicks it away -- a very nice touch. There are tons of problems with the episode, of course: the non-animated Zantis are absurd; at times they're clearly being dangled by strings; Ben's backwards-fall upon being confronted with the Zs is unrealistic; why should creatures who are so easily killed (the historian accomplishes this by hurling a small rock at one of them) be deemed threatening?; and so on. And, if the regents of the planet Zanti are so evolved as to be incapable of killing their own, how could they send the misfits to earth when they _knew_ that the people of earth would kill them? This is totally inconsistent. Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

1999-09-12 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series: Zanti Misfits - (stoodin101@aol.com)

1999-09-12 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (stoodin101@aol.com)

1999-09-12 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series: Zanti Misfits - (floor13@bayarea.net)

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 00:57:48 GMT, Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com wrote: > I _loved_ and was terrified by this episode as a youngster. The >scenes in which we see Ben approaching the Zantis' ship from _inside_ >the ship really build up tension. Then, there's that amazing scene >where the ship's hatch opens and the animated Zantis come marching out. > I also loved the moment when Ben's girlfriend, who is hiding in the >car, notices the Zanti on her windshield, and the creature sort of leers >at her. Agreed! This episode freaked me out as a small child (to a five-or-six-year-old, those stop-motion bugs looked VERY real); particularly the scene where the Zanti is crawling up Bruce Dern's body while he begs it to get off. When they finally started showing OL reruns around here in the early 80's (after many years of being absent from the airwaves) I was actually trepidatious about viewing this one again. > Early in the show, while debating with the military guy the >soundness of peaceably allowing the Zantis to live on earth, the >historian notices an ant crawling on a wooden beam, and flicks it away >-- a very nice touch. I also like the scene where the general and the journalist listen to the playback of the Zantis message -- the looks on their faces are priceless (also mentioned in David J. Schow's book). > There are tons of problems with the episode, of course: the >non-animated Zantis are absurd; at times they're clearly being dangled >by strings; Ben's backwards-fall upon being confronted with the Zs is >unrealistic; why should creatures who are so easily killed (the >historian accomplishes this by hurling a small rock at one of them) be >deemed threatening?; and so on. I agree about the non-animated Zantis -- also the figures now look pretty crude. On the other hand, I think the idea of having the Zantis be weird-looking, extra-large bugs was a brilliant one. Which leads me to point two: why are they so threatening? Because people get the heebie-jeebies about bugs! > > And, if the regents of the planet Zanti are so evolved as to be >incapable of killing their own, how could they send the misfits to earth >when they _knew_ that the people of earth would kill them? This is >totally inconsistent. Maybe not. I prefer to think of it as being simply "alien" -- the Zantis are such a completely different life form from humans; their motivations and philosophies could well be utterly incomprehensible to us.

1999-09-13 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - ("Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net>)

jigger <spam@trap.con> wrote in message news:+F=cN+thY3xynUsOdCCL7vTHA1r7@4ax.com... > I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned "The Invisibles." Am I > alone in thinking this one of the better first season episodes? It may > not be on par with the very best shows, but I'd still recommend it > highly. To be honest, looking at the description of that, either it is one I haven't seen, or is so unmemorable I have forgotten it. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-13 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (stoodin101@aol.com)

1999-09-13 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com)

In article <7ri3ju$8fno$1@newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com>, "Robert F. Golaszewski" <mildred@prodigy.net> wrote: > jigger <spam@trap.con> wrote in message > news:+F=cN+thY3xynUsOdCCL7vTHA1r7@4ax.com... > > I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned "The Invisibles." Am I > > alone in thinking this one of the better first season episodes? It may > > not be on par with the very best shows, but I'd still recommend it > > highly. > > To be honest, looking at the description of that, either it is one I > haven't seen, or is so unmemorable I have forgotten it. That's one that I liked as a youngster, but which, upon a recent viewing, I deemed as seriously flawed (and which I promptly got rid of), in spite of its being written by the brilliant Stefano. Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

1999-09-13 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (floor13@bayarea.net)

I love "The Invisibles." It's one of my favorites. I also like "OBIT", which most people don't seem to care for, a lot. On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 20:55:40 -0700, jigger <spam@trap.con> wrote: >I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned "The Invisibles." Am I >alone in thinking this one of the better first season episodes? It may >not be on par with the very best shows, but I'd still recommend it >highly.

The 13th Floor <floor13@bayarea.net> wrote in message news:37de504c.733997@news.bayarea.net... > I love "The Invisibles." It's one of my favorites. I also like > "OBIT", which most people don't seem to care for, a lot. I personally think that O.B.I.T is in the very good, bit not great category. The thing good about this episode is that it has an excellent premise. If aliens with more advanced technology wanted to invade Earth, it would make sense for them to try and demoralize and undermine human society so that resistance would be minimal. A mind reading machine in the hands of humans would be great to use as a means of psychological warfare. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

<Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7rk36r$gcq$1@nnrp1.deja.com... > In article <37de504c.733997@news.bayarea.net>, > "O.B.I.T." is one of several episodes that I'm keeping my eyes out > for. I haven't seen it (except perhaps when I was a child), but it > sounds like an episode I'll like. O.B.I.T is a goody, particularly if it is not fresh in your mind. Grab it if you find a video rental store with it, or hope Turner reruns it. -- -Robert F. Golaszewski "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." -Voltaire Visit http://third-plateau.lycaeum.org for the best general interest site on the Net about DXM (dextromethorphan) used recreationally. Also, The DXM FAQ is at www.frognet.net/dxm If you want to know about DXM: READ IT!

1999-09-14 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com)

In article <37de504c.733997@news.bayarea.net>, floor13@bayarea.net (The 13th Floor) wrote: > I love "The Invisibles." It's one of my favorites. I also like > "OBIT", which most people don't seem to care for, a lot. What do you like about "The Invisibles"? Like I said, I loved the episode when I was a youngster; it's only upon a recent viewing that I decided it didn't hold up that well. I loved the creatures when I was young, but today they look to me like (barely) animated okonomiyaki. Maybe I should've given the episode another chance. Stefano's an _extremely_ clever writer -- he inserts all sorts of subtle things that a passive viewer won't catch. (Just look at Psycho -- it's _loaded_ with veiled sexual stuff). "O.B.I.T." is one of several episodes that I'm keeping my eyes out for. I haven't seen it (except perhaps when I was a child), but it sounds like an episode I'll like. Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

1999-09-14 00:00:00 - Re: Original Series (Was: Lack of messages) - (floor13@bayarea.net)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 00:00:33 GMT, Nyarlathotep1@hotmail.com wrote: > What do you like about "The Invisibles"? Like I said, I loved the >episode when I was a youngster; it's only upon a recent viewing that I >decided it didn't hold up that well. I loved the creatures when I was >young, but today they look to me like (barely) animated okonomiyaki. I think it's a very exciting, suspenseful episode. I like the espionage plot, which is very much of its time (this was the era of the early Bond films, after all), and the aliens-taking-over-our-bodies idea which is pretty much archetypal 50's cinematic sci-fi. Also, as the Schow book points out, suggesting that the military-industrial complex was corrupt was an unusual idea at that time (though its now routine). I always liked Don Gordon -- not that he's a great actor, just a likeable one, and I like Neil Hamilton's nutty speech ("Yyyyes, master --- I am VAINGLORIOUS!"), and as always, Conrad Hall's camera direction.