FLM films - My Webpage

1996-04-02 00:00:00 - El Sid BEST EVER Except one thing... - (Martian <martian@rt66.com>)


El Sid was the best so far of the season (return of sliderZ) With one exception... one MAJOR exception... The LANGUAGE. Now I swear like the best of em! Around adults.. My son is five years old, and loves to watch Sliders with me.. I was shocked to hear such language! Son of a Vitch was used, Bastard was used, Damn (ok ok but still...) I was really surprised! The show sure does'nt NEED it..... Why do these ppl think (writers) that they have to add marginal expletives to make the show better? I was going to let it pass, but then I was approached at work by a fellow SliderZaholic, and HE mentioned the language thing to me! He also said that he has a 4 yr old son who also likes sliders, but would no longer be watching because of the recent change in language use... I love sliders, and PERSONALLY can handle the language, but the show DOES NOT NEED IT, and there are children who watch, why ruin it for them... Lee

1996-04-03 00:00:00 - FOUL LANGUAGE ! ! ! ! - (Martian <martian@rt66.com>)


El Sid was the best so far of the season (return of sliderZ) With one exception... one MAJOR exception... The LANGUAGE. Now I swear like the best of em! Around adults.. My son is five years old, and loves to watch Sliders with me.. I was shocked to hear such language! Son of a Vitch was used, Bastard was used, Damn (ok ok but still...) I was really surprised! The show sure does'nt NEED it..... Why do these ppl think (writers) that they have to add marginal expletives to make the show better? I was going to let it pass, but then I was approached at work by a fellow SliderZaholic, and HE mentioned the language thing to me! He also said that he has a 4 yr old son who also likes sliders, but would no longer be watching because of the recent change in language use... I love sliders, and PERSONALLY can handle the language, but the show DOES NOT NEED IT, and there are children who watch, why ruin it for them... Lee

1996-04-04 00:00:00 - Re: FOUL LANGUAGE ! ! ! ! - (bmitten@direct.ca)


In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960403141252.29352A-100000@mack.rt66.com>, martian@rt66.com says... > > The LANGUAGE. > > Now I swear like the best of em! Around adults.. My son is five years old, > and loves to watch Sliders with me.. I was shocked to hear such language! > Son of a Vitch was used, Bastard was used, Damn (ok ok but still...) > I was really surprised! The show sure does'nt NEED it..... Why do these > ppl think (writers) that they have to add marginal expletives to make the > show better? I was going to let it pass, but then I was approached at work > by a fellow SliderZaholic, and HE mentioned the language thing to me! > He also said that he has a 4 yr old son who also likes sliders, but would > no longer be watching because of the recent change in language use... > I love sliders, and PERSONALLY can handle the language, but the show > DOES NOT NEED IT, and there are children who watch, why ruin it for them... This particular episode benefited from a bit stronger language -- it added to the "bad" side of the various inmates and the mood of the episode in general. It's sort of like what Bill Cosby says when he explains why he doesn't swear in his performances -- if you use strong language commonly, people get used to it, so when you're really mad or have a very strong point to make, how do people know? (or something like that). Imagine if Mr. Rogers was on the news swearing at a pushy photographer -- it would shock us, not because of the words themselves (we've all heard them hundreds of times before) but because it's coming from HIM. Since most of the other episodes have been very family oriented, calm and "polite", and had very little violence (relatively speaking), the sharp contrast to the usual that we saw in "El Sid" reflected the darker mood of the story and the characters. I doubt that your co-worker should be concerned, since it doesn't seem that the bad language is a growing trend for this season.

1996-04-04 00:00:00 - Re: FOUL LANGUAGE ! ! ! ! - (ugkdude56@aol.com)


You said: << Now I swear like the best of em! Around adults.. My son is five years old, and loves to watch Sliders with me.. I was shocked to hear such language! Son of a Vitch was used, Bastard was used, Damn (ok ok but still...) I was really surprised! The show sure does'nt NEED it..... Why do these ppl think (writers) that they have to add marginal expletives to make the show better? I was going to let it pass, but then I was approached at work by a fellow SliderZaholic, and HE mentioned the language thing to me! He also said that he has a 4 yr old son who also likes sliders, but would no longer be watching because of the recent change in language use... I love sliders, and PERSONALLY can handle the language, but the show DOES NOT NEED IT, and there are children who watch, why ruin it for them... >> I dont understand why people get so upset about children hearing "foul language". First, its only words and if you dont make a deal out of it kids are not going to think about it. Second, if you have ever been to a prison you would know that there was BARELY any language used in this episode. I for one think that it made the show a lot better as making it more realistic rather then have a bunch of criminals running around saying "Gee whizz LJ, this darn earthquake is scary!". Come on, thats not realistic and it would make the show suck. I am not trying to tell you how to be a parent as I wouldn't want people doing that to me, but violence and foul language and things like that can NOT be blamed on the television. If someone raises their children well and teaches them proper speech, they will use the speech they were taught and be respectfull even if foul language is what they hear ALL the time. I am 19 years old and I was raised around Foul Language, in my family my dad had a cuss in every word (sometimes two) but if you talked to me I am one of the most well spoken people around because my mother disciplined me and a kid always has respect for a parent that means well. As for someone not watching the show anymore because a couple of slang terms are used, I pitty that person as that is immature. (no disrespect meant). Well, I meant no disrespect in this message, just my $0.98. Keep Sliding... -Mike

1996-04-04 00:00:00 - Re: FOUL LANGUAGE ! ! ! ! - (Martian <martian@rt66.com>)


What a fucking crock of shit! I use foul language, BUT NOT AROUND CHILDREN, namely my Son. I choose to shield him from it because CHILDREN REPEAT WHAT THEY HEAR! WHETHER THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SAYING OR NOT! There is no reason Fox has to add foul language to the show. On 4 Apr 1996, UGKDUDE56 wrote: > >> > > I dont understand why people get so upset about children hearing "foul > language". > First, its only words and if you dont make a deal out of it kids are not > going to think about it. Bullcrap! They will Immediately REPEAT it. You must not have kids. > Second, if you have ever been to a prison you would know that there was > BARELY any language used in this episode. No, I havent been to prison, you have? > > I for one think that it made the show a lot better as making it more > realistic rather then have a bunch of criminals running around saying "Gee > whizz LJ, this darn earthquake is scary!". Come on, thats not realistic > and it would make the show suck. I am not trying to tell you how to be a > parent as I wouldn't want people doing that to me, but violence and foul > language and things like that can NOT be blamed on the television. If > someone raises their children well and teaches them proper speech, they > will use the speech they were taught and be respectfull even if foul > language is what they hear ALL the time. I am 19 years old and I was > raised around Foul Language, in my family my dad had a cuss in every word > (sometimes two) but if you talked to me I am one of the most well spoken > people around because my mother disciplined me and a kid always has > respect for a parent that means well. > > As for someone not watching the show anymore because a couple of slang > terms are used, I pitty that person as that is immature. (no disrespect > meant). > > Well, I meant no disrespect in this message, just my $0.98. > > Keep Sliding... > -Mike > >

1996-04-08 00:00:00 - Re: FOUL LANGUAGE ! ! ! ! - (cs805-06@mcs.csuhayward.edu)


In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960404121315.20055B-100000@mack.rt66.com>, Martian <martian@rt66.com> wrote: > What a fucking crock of shit! > > I use foul language, BUT NOT AROUND CHILDREN, namely my Son. > I choose to shield him from it because CHILDREN REPEAT WHAT THEY HEAR! > WHETHER THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SAYING OR NOT! > There is no reason Fox has to add foul language to the show. Good point "Martian". This show IS on at 8 pm, plus why in gods name would fox want to limit its appeal to family's? Given Fox's risque rep, having a non family show like beverly hills 90210 at 8 pm should warn parents that small children should not necessarily be permitted to watch fox. But bh doesnt have small kids as a target audience, and there is NO REASON why sliders shouldnt have small kids as its audience. While parents shouldnt EXPECT that just because a show on fox at the early hour of 8 pm will be acceptable for small kids, sliders is a show that could be a good family program and thus shouldnt have foul language. Btw, what foul words were used? I did not catch it, or if I did catch it am so used to it that I didnt pay attention. > On 4 Apr 1996, UGKDUDE56 wrote: > > >> > > > > I dont understand why people get so upset about children hearing "foul > > language". > > First, its only words and if you dont make a deal out of it kids are not > > going to think about it. Yup, "martian" is correct. Small kids are like parrots. And having a parrot that constantly spouts foul words would be VERY embarrassing. Just think of a parrot uttering racist stuff about N*****s while a black friend is over. Or sexist stuff while newly met lady friends are over. > Bullcrap! They will Immediately REPEAT it. You must not have kids. > > > Second, if you have ever been to a prison you would know that there was > > BARELY any language used in this episode. > No, I havent been to prison, you have? > > > > > I for one think that it made the show a lot better as making it more > > realistic rather then have a bunch of criminals running around saying "Gee > > whizz LJ, this darn earthquake is scary!". Come on, thats not realistic > > and it would make the show suck. I am not trying to tell you how to be a > > parent as I wouldn't want people doing that to me, but violence and foul > > language and things like that can NOT be blamed on the television. If > > someone raises their children well and teaches them proper speech, they > > will use the speech they were taught and be respectfull even if foul > > language is what they hear ALL the time. I am 19 years old and I was > > raised around Foul Language, in my family my dad had a cuss in every word > > (sometimes two) but if you talked to me I am one of the most well spoken > > people around because my mother disciplined me and a kid always has > > respect for a parent that means well. > > > > As for someone not watching the show anymore because a couple of slang > > terms are used, I pitty that person as that is immature. (no disrespect > > meant). > > > > Well, I meant no disrespect in this message, just my $0.98. > > > > Keep Sliding... > > -Mike > > > >

1996-04-08 00:00:00 - Re: El Sid BEST EVER Except one thing... - (Philip Chien <kc4yer@amsat.org>)


In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960402205156.24867A-100000@mack.rt66.com> Martian, martian@rt66.com writes: >The LANGUAGE. > >Now I swear like the best of em! Around adults.. My son is five years old, >and loves to watch Sliders with me.. I was shocked to hear such language! >Son of a Vitch was used, Bastard was used, Damn (ok ok but still...) >I was really surprised! The show sure does'nt NEED it..... Actually I thought it made the episode more realistic. It was still not as "salty" (to use a polite term) as the language I've heard on the streets, or even on Internet, but it did help the episode along. >Why do these ppl think (writers) that they have to add marginal expletives to make the >show better? Because it makes the show more realistic and believable? >I was going to let it pass, but then I was approached at work >by a fellow SliderZaholic, and HE mentioned the language thing to me! >He also said that he has a 4 yr old son who also likes sliders, but would >no longer be watching because of the recent change in language use... >I love sliders, and PERSONALLY can handle the language, but the show >DOES NOT NEED IT, and there are children who watch, why ruin it for them... well, you don't think "Sliders" needs it, but apparently the producers disagree with you. As to your justification for your 5 year old and your fellow worker's 4 year old ... My compliments to both of you for actually watching television with your families, instead of using television as an electronic babysitter (which is too often the case). Do you expect your kids to grow up without hearing anything which you find objectionable? Do you think that they haven't already heard all of those words already - either at play with other kids or on other television shows? If this is the first time your kids have heard those words then I'd consider myself lucky if I were you. It's a controlled environment, you can explain to your child what those words mean, why some people use them, and why you find them objectionable. On the other hand, if you feel that a television show which is primarily intended for adults (specifically males in the 24-35 year old range with large amounts of extra cash to spend who happen to be Neilsen family members) should be sanitized for your child's protection, then may I respectfully ask you go to perform the act of self impregnation. Philip Chien, Earth News - space writer and consultant PCHIEN@IDS.NET __ __^__ __________ | \ +---/ \---+ (========= |____\___________ +---\_____/---+ // >____)| | \__ \ \______//___ >/ |________| \ [ _____\ >|____________________\ \_______/ Roger, go at throttle up CHR$(32) the final frontier

1996-04-11 00:00:00 - Re: El Sid BEST EVER Except one thing... - (pwcnva2@norfolk.infi.net)


In article <4k9sdg$9vh@paperboy.ids.net>, Philip Chien <kc4yer@amsat.org> wrote: >In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960402205156.24867A-100000@mack.rt66.com> >Martian, martian@rt66.com writes: >>The LANGUAGE. >> >>Why do these ppl think (writers) that they have to add marginal >expletives to make the >>show better? > >Because it makes the show more realistic and believable? > How so? I've never understood this argument. If I want realism, I'll go down to the food court at the mall. Lots of real people there. Unfortunately, I've never seen anyone open up a hole to an alternate universe between the Dairy Queen and the Taco Bell. Here's a thought: Maybe people like to watch TV because it is UNrealistic! Maybe they find the existence of alternative universes and the absence of profanity somehow pleasing, relaxing, and entertaining. What a concept. I've also always found the plot to advance quite well without having to resort to the use of foul language. Maybe its just me. >>I was going to let it pass, but then I was approached at work >>by a fellow SliderZaholic, and HE mentioned the language thing to me! >>He also said that he has a 4 yr old son who also likes sliders, but >would >>no longer be watching because of the recent change in language use... >>I love sliders, and PERSONALLY can handle the language, but the show >>DOES NOT NEED IT, and there are children who watch, why ruin it for >them... > >well, you don't think "Sliders" needs it, but apparently the producers >disagree with you. > Show of hands, please. Given the number of posts concerning show content, how many of you agree that the producers are the best judge of what you want to see? >As to your justification for your 5 year old and your fellow worker's 4 >year old ... > >My compliments to both of you for actually watching television with your >families, instead of using television as an electronic babysitter (which >is too often the case). > >Do you expect your kids to grow up without hearing anything which you >find objectionable? Do you think that they haven't already heard all of >those words already - either at play with other kids or on other >television shows? > Do you think this is a good reason to reinforce this through their at-home viewing habits? >If this is the first time your kids have heard those words then I'd >consider myself lucky if I were you. It's a controlled environment, you >can explain to your child what those words mean, why some people use >them, and why you find them objectionable. > I'd consider myself lucky if I could sit and watch TV for an hour with my kids and not have to explain to them later what a bitch is. I would consider myself lucky if I didn't have to hear the words penis and ass gratuitously inserted into every show on TV, just because they were recently okayed by the censors. I would also feel lucky if I didn't have to sit through all the lame-brained scenarios writers come up with to include these words. Here's another thought: Let's have the SAT vocabulary list put on the censor list, then released to the networks one word at a time. Imagine Seinfield: "George, what an antedeluvian attitude! Elaine, can you believe how antedeluvian that was? I haven't heard anything so antedeluvian since, well, since before the flood!" One night of Saturday Night Live, and our kids would be geniuses! >On the other hand, if you feel that a television show which is primarily >intended for adults (specifically males in the 24-35 year old range with >large amounts of extra cash to spend who happen to be Neilsen family >members) should be sanitized for your child's protection, then may I >respectfully ask you go to perform the act of self impregnation. > One last tip: You cannot respectfully tell someone to go f**k themselves. The people who believe they can are the same people that believe that the use of profanity and adult language in sci-fi shows increases realism and advances the plot. >Philip Chien, Earth News - space writer and consultant PCHIEN@IDS.NET > __ __^__ __________ Respectfully, Brad W.

1996-04-16 00:00:00 - Language Sliders - was Re: El Sid BEST EVER Except one thing... - (Philip Chien <kc4yer@amsat.org>)


In article <4kjara$m59@nw002.infi.net> Brad W., pwcnva2@norfolk.infi.net writes: <snip to the entire message about content in television and why foul language isn't necessary, desirable, or realistic on Sliders> Instead of taking each piece of your post and responding to each of your comments, I'll let it all go and just ask you one simple question. WHY ARE YOU WATCHING FOX????? FOX is the network which has proudly stated that it's willing to go beyond the edge - to push TV's limitations and air things which won't air on the other networks (vis "Married With Children", "The Simpsons", etc.) If you want to avoid foul language (and I will not stoop to the level of using such words when they don't add anything to the statement) then avoid FOX! Philip Chien, Earth News - space writer and consultant PCHIEN@IDS.NET __ __^__ __________ | \ +---/ \---+ (========= |____\___________ +---\_____/---+ // >____)| | \__ \ \______//___ >/ |________| \ [ _____\ >|____________________\ \_______/ Roger, go at throttle up CHR$(32) the final frontier

1996-04-16 00:00:00 - Re: Language Sliders - was Re: El Sid BEST EVER Except one thing... - (pwcnva2@norfolk.infi.net)


In article <4kv1c2$f3h@paperboy.ids.net>, Philip Chien <kc4yer@amsat.org> wrote: >In article <4kjara$m59@nw002.infi.net> Brad W., pwcnva2@norfolk.infi.net >writes: > ><snip to the entire message about content in television and why foul >language isn't necessary, desirable, or realistic on Sliders> > >Instead of taking each piece of your post and responding to each of your >comments, I'll let it all go and just ask you one simple question. > >WHY ARE YOU WATCHING FOX????? > >FOX is the network which has proudly stated that it's willing to go >beyond the edge - to push TV's limitations and air things which won't air >on the other networks (vis "Married With Children", "The Simpsons", etc.) > >If you want to avoid foul language (and I will not stoop to the level of >using such words when they don't add anything to the statement) then >avoid FOX! > >Philip Chien, Earth News - space writer and consultant PCHIEN@IDS.NET Did I say anything about the general content of all FOX programming? I was talking about one specific show which I consider to be good viewing and don't think needs to be brought down to the level of Married With Children and the Simpsons. You say its just a few words that don't mean anything and I agree with you. So why not leave them out? You know, these threads always start out with a bang and always end up with the same old tired lines "If you don't like the way your programming is being screwed up, just turn off your TV/Radio/Internet connection, etc." or "They're going to hear it on the street anyway." That's so lame, and it just means that you didn't really have a good argument in the first place and you want to duck out without getting any further into it. So here's your out. Let's just say I'm a big Barney-watching, Disney Channel prude and you're a laid-back, enlightened, seasoned Prime-Time viewer who values the gritty realism of his unrealistic sci-fi shows. Its been...real. BW