FLM films - My Webpage

1998-03-14 00:00:00 - On-line fans credited - (Julia <Peter&Julia@wrenlea.demon.co.uk>)

Just thought some of you would be interested to know that there is a cool article about Sliders which features in this month's Sci-Fi Entertainment magazine. (April) There's an article heralding the renewal of Sliders by the Sci-Fi Channel and it specifically mentions this (and I quote):- "Sliders producers have given considerable credit to fans, specifically on-line fans, for their ongoing support of the program. In particular, Marc Scott Zicree has become almost as visible in cyberspace as Straczynski himself, promoting the new episodes and responding to viewers' questions." That's just a bit from a four page spread on the new series. Internet fandom is mentioned a couple more times in terms of what's promised for us in the new season. It's well worth buying and one of the first articles I've read which goes right through from the beginning to where we are now in terms of how the show has progressed and the various comings and goings of the characters, and seems honest and accurate. What I didn't know was that with the start of its fourth season, the magazine says that it will become one of the longest lived, first run, science fiction shows in US TV history. Cool! Not bad for a show which was has had the axe hanging over its head on more than one occasion. :) Oh and Mark (Evans), if you're reading this.. what's the chance of us in the UK getting the "Making of Sliders" do you think? -- Julia Reynolds ********* Don't bother flaming me - I'm feeling so cold, the heat wouldn't last more than a nano-second. (http://www.wrenlea.demon.co.uk) "Worlds of the Imagination"

1998-03-14 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (Michael Friedman <hrivnak@spamsux.eyrie.org>)

In article <19980315012600.UAA08805@ladder03.news.aol.com>, Puz1 <puz1@aol.com> wrote: >Julia [who really should post here more often! :-) ] wrote of the latest issue >of Sci-Fi Entertainment: >>What I didn't know was that with the start of its fourth season, the >>magazine says that it will become one of the longest lived, first run, >>science fiction shows in US TV history. Cool! > >***I hadn't realized that, either. Made me try to think of some others... >...the 'Trek' franchises, Just the newer Trek franchises. The original series only lasted three seasons if I remember correctly. Most sci-fi shows last a year before they are cancelled though, if that long. - Mike, really misses the Sci-Fi channel. -- Michael D Friedman, Esq. | "You tried your best, and you failed miserably. PROUD PITT ALUMNUS | The lesson is: never try." - Homer Simpson. remove "spamsux" to reply | HOMEPAGE: http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/hrivnak

1998-03-15 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (puz1@aol.com)

Julia [who really should post here more often! :-) ] wrote of the latest issue of Sci-Fi Entertainment: >What I didn't know was that with the start of its fourth season, the >magazine says that it will become one of the longest lived, first run, >science fiction shows in US TV history. Cool! ***I hadn't realized that, either. Made me try to think of some others... ...the 'Trek' franchises, ...B-5, ...MST3K [I'd count it.], ...any others? Anyone? Anyway, we Yanks still have a *looong* way to go to beat the record set by your good Doctor. ;-) AnnieM ONP of a.t.s.

1998-03-15 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (aexia@u.washington.edu)

In article <C51UoLAh2sC1Ew++@wrenlea.demon.co.uk>, Julia <Peter&Julia@wrenlea.demon.co.uk> wrote: >What I didn't know was that with the start of its fourth season, the >magazine says that it will become one of the longest lived, first run, >science fiction shows in US TV history. Cool! Depends on your definition of "longest" I suppose. Sliders has effectively only been on for two seasons. Seasons 1 & 2 were half seasons. 3 was the only full one. But still, it has lasted longer than most sci-fi shows. That doesn't say much however. -- Micheal (Chris) Keane, Political Science, University of Washington Associate Professor of Psychogravitational Analysis, University of Ediacara Join the Church of Last Thursday and worship Queen Maeve! http://weber.u.washington.edu/~aexia/thursday.htm

1998-03-16 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (Julia <Peter&Julia@wrenlea.demon.co.uk>)

1998-03-16 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (cook@sos.net)

puz1@aol.com (Puz1) wrote: >Julia [who really should post here more often! :-) ] wrote of the latest issue >of Sci-Fi Entertainment: >>What I didn't know was that with the start of its fourth season, the >>magazine says that it will become one of the longest lived, first run, >>science fiction shows in US TV history. Cool! >***I hadn't realized that, either. Made me try to think of some others... >...the 'Trek' franchises, >...B-5, >...MST3K [I'd count it.], >...any others? Anyone? Well, if you extend the broadest possible definition to 'SF', the shows "Lost in Space" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" probably still have more total episodes than Sliders. Both were on three-four years, I believe. Robert M. Cook cook@sos.net http://www.sos.net/~cook/index.htm

1998-03-16 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (aexia@u.washington.edu)

In article <6eih6n$oeb$3@barad-dur.nas.com>, Robert Cook <cook@sos.net> wrote: >>>What I didn't know was that with the start of its fourth season, the >>>magazine says that it will become one of the longest lived, first run, >>>science fiction shows in US TV history. Cool! > >>***I hadn't realized that, either. Made me try to think of some others... > >>...the 'Trek' franchises, >>...B-5, >>...MST3K [I'd count it.], > >>...any others? Anyone? > >Well, if you extend the broadest possible definition to 'SF', the >shows "Lost in Space" and "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" probably >still have more total episodes than Sliders. Both were on three-four >years, I believe. X-Files, Highlander. I imagine Hercules and Xena have more episodes than Sliders too. It *is* a sad state of affairs when lasting more than two seasons puts in you in the category of longest-lasting sci-fi series. -- Micheal (Chris) Keane, Political Science, University of Washington Associate Professor of Psychogravitational Analysis, University of Ediacara Join the Church of Last Thursday and worship Queen Maeve! http://weber.u.washington.edu/~aexia/thursday.htm

1998-03-17 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (gharlane@ccshp1.ccs.csus.edu)

1998-03-17 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (Mark Alan Evans <mark.evans@nospamdemon.co.uk>)

Julia wrote in message ... >Just thought some of you would be interested to know that there is a >cool article about Sliders which features in this month's Sci-Fi >Entertainment magazine. (April) Something to add to the shopping list. >Snip< >Oh and Mark (Evans), if you're reading this.. what's the chance of us in >the UK getting the "Making of Sliders" do you think? Not good, there is a slim chance that the Sci-Fi channel (Europe) might show it but when I e-mailed them in January about Sliders after a long delay they said that Sky held the rights to show Sliders in the UK. Whether that extends to specials I don't know but considering Sliders didn't even make it into the 'coming in April on Sky' trailer the chances of Sky showing anything like that are slim. Sky only seem to drag out specials for the larger ratings grabbers like Star Trek and The X-Files, and even then it really isn't their style. If the ratings are good then it may get shown, otherwise probably not. As for the BBC well if I was generous I would say no chance. Mark.

1998-03-17 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (Julia <Peter&Julia@wrenlea.demon.co.uk>)

In article <890104401.8435.1.nnrp-01.c1ed33d4@news.demon.co.uk>, Mark Alan Evans <mark.evans@nospamdemon.co.uk> writes >>Oh and Mark (Evans), if you're reading this.. what's the chance of us in >>the UK getting the "Making of Sliders" do you think? > > >Not good, there is a slim chance that the Sci-Fi channel (Europe) might show >it but when I e-mailed them in January about Sliders after a long delay they >said that Sky held the rights to show Sliders in the UK. Presumably this means that the sci-fi channel per se won't be screening Sliders at all in the UK. I had a feeling Sky might buy the rights. Provided they screen *everything* that comes out then we should be okay re the series at least. :) > Whether that >extends to specials I don't know but considering Sliders didn't even make it >into the 'coming in April on Sky' trailer the chances of Sky showing >anything like that are slim. I'm wondering though whether shows like Sliders would make it to one of their "coming soon" trailers. I noticed the usual big-name shows being advertised but I've rarely seen Sliders as a trailer. Waiting for "What Satellite" for April etc to see if we really are going to get the new season when everyone thinks we will. I'm with you on this, I'll believe it when I see it. :P > If the ratings are good then it may get shown, >otherwise probably not. <pulling face> Shame. It would have been a cool show to have seen. :( > As for the BBC well if I was generous I would say >no chance. > <g> I agree. BBC viewers will be waiting for quite some while I would think before they even get a sniff of season 4, so a special? Doubtful. Thanks for the input. :) -- Julia Reynolds Official a.t.s. watcher :) ********* (http://www.wrenlea.demon.co.uk) "Worlds of the Imagination"

1998-03-24 00:00:00 - Re: On-line fans credited - (lizard@mrlizard.com)

In article <6el6af$827@news.csus.edu>, gharlane@ccshp1.ccs.csus.edu (Gharlane of Eddore) wrote: >AL> What I didn't know was that with the start of its fourth season, the >AL> magazine says that it will become one of the longest lived, first run, >AL> science fiction shows in US TV history. Cool! > >"SLIDERS" is not, and never has been, "Science Fiction." >It's loosy-goosy *FANTASY*, and due to its use of "legitimate SF" >props, can be acceptably referred to as "Sci-Fi." > What's wrong with science-fantasy? That is, fantasy which uses the props of science instead of the props of magic? Thus "psychic powers", not "magic";"aliens", not "little people";"spaceships", not "flying carpets". The works of ER Burroughs, the original Flash Gordon comic strip, and of course Star Wars all fall into that category.