FLM films - My Webpage

1997-05-06 00:00:00 - "Sliders on endangered list for next season." - (Reepicheep <no-spam@no-mail.net>)


The following is taken from a short article in the "TV Magazine" for my local newspaper (The Valley News Dispatch; April 27-May 3; My apologies for being "late" on posting this but my news server has been down for the past week). In any case, the title of the article was, "Sliders on endangered list for next season." It states: "Will Sliders be able to slide on to a fourth season? That's the question producers and fans are wondering these days���. Not that producers haven't tried to turn Sliders into a show Fox would want to keep around. Sliders has been fine tuned for an X-Files feel with lots of aliens and monsters. Creator and executive producer Tracy Torme quit to protest the change, and one Sliders actor was given his walking papers���. "The cast change was made 'because it was tough to create any conflict between these guys. They liked each other too much.,' says executive producer Alan Barnette. 'We thought adding another woman in there would mix things up.' "There's been grumbling among die-hard Sliders fans about the show's new direction, with many yearning for the hypothetical stories of previous seasons, such as the episode that speculated what life would be like had the British won the Revolutionary War���. "Sliders future is uncertain because of the success of science fiction on Fox. The X-Files is the highest rated show on Fox, and the network has been trying for years to duplicate its success���. Fox has several otherworldly pilots planned for fall, all vying for Sliders Friday time slot���. "Fox will announce its fall schedule May 20." Now for my comments. First, "fine-tuned" by trying to turn it into X-Files? They just don't get it do they. The original premise for the show was not X-Files. It was the possibilities opened by asking "Why If" and not "What If" X-Files type of things happened; but "What If" a certain event in world history or a person's life had gone another way. How would that have changed the world situation or the person's life years later? Second, when the creator of a show leaves that should give the executives a clue that "something" is wrong. And giving one the main characters his "walking papers" is sure to hurt a show, especially when he was (partly) responsible for the premise of the show being possible. Aturo was Quinn's teacher you know. Third, what's wrong with people liking each other? United against a common enemy or in a common adventure. What's wrong with that; why does it take fighting among friends to make a show interesting? Adding Maggie didn't "mix things up" it messed things up! Fourth, when your die-hard fans are grumbling, don't you think you should pay attention. Incidentally, the episode mentioned was one of my favorites. Casting Aturo as a Rush Limbaugh look-alike was great! Fifth, why does TV always believe that if one show succeeds with a particular format others will? Isn't it possible that X-Files is popular because it is unique? Trying to duplicate it will probably prove futile. Sixth, starting "otherworldly pilots" won't help Fox if they won't listen to the complaints of die-hard fans. Even them shows are initially successful, Fox will just try to "fine-tune" them and mess them up also. Lastly, I hope I don't come across as TOO upset in my comments above. It's just that I really liked this show initially. The "What IF? question has always intrigued me. I was hooked on the show before it even started when I first read in "TV Guide" what the premise would be. When it began it was possibly my favorite show (or at least running a close second to B5). But now, I probably just watch it out of habit more than anything else. -- ><> Reepicheep <>< ><> Darkness to Light <>>< ><> http://www.usaor.net/dtl/ <><

1997-05-07 00:00:00 - Re: "Sliders on endangered list for next season." - (aw267@FreeNet.Carleton.CA)


"Reepicheep" (no-spam@no-mail.net) writes: > Fourth, when your die-hard fans are grumbling, don't you think you should > pay attention. Incidentally, the episode mentioned was one of my favorites. > Casting Aturo as a Rush Limbaugh look-alike was great! Says you. I used to be a fan, and I think that killing off Arturo was a good idea. Too bad they didn't follow up on it with other good ideas. I don't want a "Gilligan's Island" type of series where every week it's the same thing in a different dimension. I want changes in plot and character -- even if it means killing off a main cast member. > Fifth, why does TV always believe that if one show succeeds with a > particular format others will? Isn't it possible that X-Files is popular > because it is unique? Trying to duplicate it will probably prove futile. Huh? Everyone does it. It is rampant everywhere because of capitalism (movies, video games, toys, etc) Greg

1997-05-07 00:00:00 - Re: "Sliders on endangered list for next season." - (al51@cornell.edu)


In article <5kp1mc$415@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, aw267@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Gregory Kam) wrote: > >"Reepicheep" (no-spam@no-mail.net) writes: > > Fifth, why does TV always believe that if one show succeeds with a >> particular format others will? Isn't it possible that X-Files is popular >> because it is unique? Trying to duplicate it will probably prove futile. > >Huh? Everyone does it. It is rampant everywhere because of capitalism >(movies, video games, toys, etc). That is not an explaination. If every company started shooting their customers that wouldn't make for continued prosperity. And capitalism tries to sell people what they want. If you are trying to sell them regurgitated crap they may not want it. ___________ Adam Littman / ^ \ AL51@cornell.edu /\ / \ /\ /__\__/___\__/__\ / \( ) ( )/ \ \ /\ o /\ / \ / \( )/ \ / "Four minutes twenty-two seconds, \/____\_/____\/ Baldric, you owe me a groat" \ \ / --Blackadder \ / \ / ---------

1997-05-07 00:00:00 - Re: "Sliders on endangered list for next season." - (mcginn@direct.ca)


al51@cornell.edu (Adam Littman) wrote: >> "Sliders future is uncertain because of the success of science fiction >> on >>Fox. The X-Files is the highest rated show on Fox, and the network has been >>trying for years to duplicate its success���. Fox has several otherworldly >>pilots planned for fall, all vying for Sliders Friday time slot���. >> "Fox will announce its fall schedule May 20." >By definition the one thing you can't duplicate is originality. Any X-files >clone is doomed by the "been there done that" reaction. Actually they could duplicate the SUCCESS - but only by casting aside their moronic belief that it is successful because it's "otherworldly". It's successful because it's HIGH QUALITY. Unlike Sliders, x-files original producer has creative/content control of the show. They want to duplicate x-files success? Get the brain-dead, talent-free, retarded FOX executives off the God damn set, and let the creative people (e.g., Torme in this case) do their bloody job. But unfortunately FOX is beyond hope. Their idiotic "logic" re x-files success is ample proof of that, not to mention the piece-by-piece destruction of Sliders. You literally couldn't make Sliders a worse show if you were trying to make it bad. Joe

1997-05-08 00:00:00 - Re: "Sliders on endangered list for next season." - (aw267@FreeNet.Carleton.CA)


Adam Littman (al51@cornell.edu) writes: > In article <5kp1mc$415@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, aw267@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Gregory Kam) wrote: >>"Reepicheep" (no-spam@no-mail.net) writes: >> > Fifth, why does TV always believe that if one show succeeds with a >>> particular format others will? Isn't it possible that X-Files is popular >>> because it is unique? Trying to duplicate it will probably prove futile. >> >>Huh? Everyone does it. It is rampant everywhere because of capitalism >>(movies, video games, toys, etc). > > That is not an explaination. If every company started shooting their customers > that wouldn't make for continued prosperity. And capitalism tries to sell > people what they want. If you are trying to sell them regurgitated crap they > may not want it. Unfortunately many people DO like it and DO buy into it. That's why it keeps happening. I'm not saying that I *like* it, that is just the way it is, and it's nothing unique to Sliders or the TV industry in general. What is your point anyway?

1997-05-08 00:00:00 - Re: "Sliders on endangered list for next season." - (al51@cornell.edu)


My point is that just because "everyone" engages in some type of action doesn't mean that course will be successful. The original poster asked (perhaps rhetorically) why the execs believe that format cloning will make for successful shows and the first response was not an answer. The fact that "everyone does it" does not explain why everyone does it. Most shows that clone an original hit die a well deserved death and you would think the networks would catch on. Witness the numerous attempts to spin off from Married With Children, none of which survived a whole season despit the longevity of MWC itself. In article <5ksjnn$n52@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, aw267@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Gregory Kam) wrote: > >Adam Littman (al51@cornell.edu) writes: >> In article <5kp1mc$415@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, aw267@FreeNet.Carleton.CA > (Gregory Kam) wrote: >>>"Reepicheep" (no-spam@no-mail.net) writes: >>> > Fifth, why does TV always believe that if one show succeeds with a >>>> particular format others will? Isn't it possible that X-Files is popular >>>> because it is unique? Trying to duplicate it will probably prove futile. >>> >>>Huh? Everyone does it. It is rampant everywhere because of capitalism >>>(movies, video games, toys, etc). >> >> That is not an explaination. If every company started shooting their > customers >> that wouldn't make for continued prosperity. And capitalism tries to sell >> people what they want. If you are trying to sell them regurgitated crap they >> may not want it. > >Unfortunately many people DO like it and DO buy into it. That's why it >keeps happening. I'm not saying that I *like* it, that is just the way it >is, and it's nothing unique to Sliders or the TV industry in general. > >What is your point anyway? > > ___________ Adam Littman / ^ \ AL51@cornell.edu /\ / \ /\ /__\__/___\__/__\ / \( ) ( )/ \ \ /\ o /\ / \ / \( )/ \ / "Four minutes twenty-two seconds, \/____\_/____\/ Baldric, you owe me a groat" \ \ / --Blackadder \ / \ / ---------

1997-05-11 00:00:00 - Re: "Sliders on endangered list for next season." - (normd@cadvision.com)


On 8 May 1997 13:16:39 GMT, aw267@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Gregory Kam) wrote: > >Unfortunately many people DO like it and DO buy into it. That's why it >keeps happening. I'm not saying that I *like* it, that is just the way it >is, and it's nothing unique to Sliders or the TV industry in general. > >What is your point anyway? > I liked the old sliders, and I still like it. If FOX cancels it, does it have enough viewers to become syndicated? If it did maybe Torme could come back and reinvent the Professor along the way. Thoughts... Norm

1997-05-11 00:00:00 - Re: "Sliders on endangered list for next season." - ("D.K. RUSSO" <nitekatt@webtv.net>)


At this point,I think FOX will do a mid-season pick-up,(again),and re- tool the show,again!