FLM films - My Webpage

1996-06-28 00:00:00 - A Problem with Sliders - (paul.beddows@deepcove.bc.ca)


As anyone who has read a lot of Sci-Fi knows, the theory of alternate dimensions holds that everytime there is a significant event, alternate earths are created starting from that event. Since this continues on back through time, the vast majority of alternate earths would have split off far in the past and would therefore bear very little resemblence to outr current one by now. The problem with Sliders is that thye Alternate Earths are too much llike our own. they need to come up with some more outrageous ones. Still the show is most enjoyable.

1996-06-28 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - ("Mark J. Dulcey" <mark@zipnet.net>)


paul beddows wrote: > > As anyone who has read a lot of Sci-Fi knows, the theory of alternate > dimensions holds that everytime there is a significant event, > alternate earths are created starting from that event. Since this > continues on back through time, the vast majority of alternate earths > would have split off far in the past and would therefore bear very > little resemblence to outr current one by now. The problem with > Sliders is that thye Alternate Earths are too much llike our own. they > need to come up with some more outrageous ones. Still the show is most > enjoyable. I don't think this would work so well as television. One great strength of Sliders is its use of alternate worlds as social commentary; this requires that the world be close enough to our own that we can recognize our own problems in it.

1996-06-28 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - (dberry@hooked.net)


In article <4qvhlq$sku@marine.jumppoint.com>, paul.beddows@deepcove.bc.ca (paul beddows) wrote: >As anyone who has read a lot of Sci-Fi knows, the theory of alternate >dimensions holds that everytime there is a significant event, >alternate earths are created starting from that event. Since this >continues on back through time, the vast majority of alternate earths >would have split off far in the past and would therefore bear very >little resemblence to outr current one by now. The problem with >Sliders is that thye Alternate Earths are too much llike our own. they >need to come up with some more outrageous ones. Still the show is most >enjoyable. > Well, Alternate Earths have always been some of my favorite pieces of SF, and I run a GURPS game involving timeline jumping, so here goes. The problem here is twofold: budget and time. The producers have 50 minutes to tell a story, and a limited budget with which to make the show. While I would love to see some truely wild worlds, the sad fact is that to simplify things everbody is going to speak English and San Francisco is still going to look like Vancouver (grrrrrrr....). Harlan Ellison once told me that AE stories were so much bullshit because you could have a world in which ONE leaf failed to fall from a tree in the Amazon in 50,000BCE, and that would be an alternate. I told him to speak up, I couldn't hear him way down there.. :) I guess if we want to see the truely odd worlds, we'll have to write them ourselves.. There is a "creative" newsgroups for Slides fanfic. I'm writing a story right now entitled "BBU", where the Sliders show up, and are immediately directed to the "Sliders Welcome Center". # ------------------------------------------------- # # Douglas E. Berry dberry@hooked.net # # Writer, Professional Driver, Traveller Guru # # # # "I'm still standing, better than I ever did, # # Lookin' like a true survivor, # # Feeling like a little kid" -Elton John # # 1st Anniversary of my ongoing battle with # # Hodgkin's Disease -- 7 June, 1996 # # ------------------------------------------------- #

1996-06-28 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - (mteran@rocket.cc.umr.edu)


Paul wrote: : As anyone who has read a lot of Sci-Fi knows, the theory of alternate : dimensions holds that everytime there is a significant event, : alternate earths are created starting from that event. Since this : continues on back through time, the vast majority of alternate earths : would have split off far in the past and would therefore bear very : little resemblence to outr current one by now. The problem with : Sliders is that thye Alternate Earths are too much llike our own. they : need to come up with some more outrageous ones. Still the show is most : enjoyable. As a fellow sci-fi reader, you are correct when you say that most science-fiction authors take the theory of alternate universes and say that splits occur at 'significant events.' As a physics major, I must point out that the Multi-universe Theory states that universes split *every* time there is a choice, or a chance to diverge, which is why there are an infinitely many universes. I would say that Sliders subscribes to the latter, more realistic theory. Miguel

1996-06-29 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - (regnery@ix.netcom.com)


dberry@hooked.net (Douglas E. Berry) wrote: >Well, Alternate Earths have always been some of my favorite pieces of SF, and >I run a GURPS game involving timeline jumping, so here goes. >The problem here is twofold: budget and time. The producers have 50 minutes >to tell a story, and a limited budget with which to make the show. While I >would love to see some truely wild worlds, the sad fact is that to simplify >things everbody is going to speak English and San Francisco is still going to >look like Vancouver (grrrrrrr....). Well, in Invasion, you had a world where the Cro-Maggs were dominant over homo sapiens. And you also had a world in which the French were in charge of North America. And one of the worlds they visited a few episodes ago was run by Indians (Asian Indians, not Native Americans). And next year, SF shouldn't look too much like Vancouver. George M. Regnery | "The words "to make money" hold the essence of human regnery@ix.netcom.com | morality." -- Francisco D'Anconia (Atlas Shrugged) ----------------------+------------------------------------------------------ Links for Corporate Information: http://www.netcom.com/~regnery/corporate.html

1996-06-29 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - (denmar@ix.netcom.com)


In <4qvhlq$sku@marine.jumppoint.com> paul.beddows@deepcove.bc.ca (paul beddows) writes: > >As anyone who has read a lot of Sci-Fi knows, the theory of alternate >dimensions holds that everytime there is a significant event, >alternate earths are created starting from that event. Since this >continues on back through time, the vast majority of alternate earths >would have split off far in the past and would therefore bear very >little resemblence to outr current one by now. The problem with >Sliders is that thye Alternate Earths are too much llike our own. they >need to come up with some more outrageous ones. Still the show is most >enjoyable. > In most episodes, the worlds the sliders land in have followed basically the same historical pattern as our world up until some point in time only 50-200 or so years ago when a single event altered things- maybe significantly to us humans- but imperceptably in the whole cosmic scheme of things. In other words, you are quite correct.

1996-07-01 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - (sdredge <sdredge@micron.net>)


regnery@ix.netcom.com (George Matthew Regnery) wrote: > > dberry@hooked.net (Douglas E. Berry) wrote: > > >Well, Alternate Earths have always been some of my favorite pieces of SF, and > >I run a GURPS game involving timeline jumping, so here goes. > > >The problem here is twofold: budget and time. The producers have 50 minutes > >to tell a story, and a limited budget with which to make the show. While I > >would love to see some truely wild worlds, the sad fact is that to simplify > >things everbody is going to speak English and San Francisco is still going to > >look like Vancouver (grrrrrrr....). > > Well, in Invasion, you had a world where the Cro-Maggs were dominant > over homo sapiens. And you also had a world in which the French were > in charge of North America. And one of the worlds they visited a few > episodes ago was run by Indians (Asian Indians, not Native Americans). > And next year, SF shouldn't look too much like Vancouver. > > > George M. Regnery | "The words "to make money" hold the essence of human > regnery@ix.netcom.com | morality." -- Francisco D'Anconia (Atlas Shrugged) > ----------------------+------------------------------------------------------ > Links for Corporate Information: http://www.netcom.com/~regnery/corporate.html > How do you spell Cro-magges or Kro-magges or Kromagges or Cromages ect. ect.

1996-07-01 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - (sdredge <sdredge@micron.net>)


paul.beddows@deepcove.bc.ca (paul beddows) wrote: > > As anyone who has read a lot of Sci-Fi knows, the theory of alternate > dimensions holds that everytime there is a significant event, > alternate earths are created starting from that event. Since this > continues on back through time, the vast majority of alternate earths > would have split off far in the past and would therefore bear very > little resemblence to outr current one by now. The problem with > Sliders is that thye Alternate Earths are too much llike our own. they > need to come up with some more outrageous ones. Still the show is most > enjoyable. > There might be a safty device on the timer the prevents them from sliding into worlds that are that differnt from our own.

1996-07-04 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - (Henry Rieke <U6C16@wvnvm.wvnet.edu>)


Humm, Just what is considered an important event to cause an alternate universe to be made? that I brushed my teeth one way this morring, or tha tI had OJ then coffee rather than coffee then OJ, or that I ... well you should get the idea by now. It is stated in the opening VO that there are an infinite number of Earths, which does mean, that (1) there are an infinte number of Quinns and company lost, trying to get 'home', (2) infinite number of Cro-Maggs worlds causing all sorts of problems, (3) infinite number of worlds where Jerry Lewis is a god, and (4) an infinite number of liberal Gharlane spreading love and compassion over the internet. Henry

1996-07-07 00:00:00 - Re: A Problem with Sliders - (Jackson West <jwest@radix.net>)


There is no reason any Earth has to have the same things and events, some do and would but who is to say that in any of the other worldsQuinn would be alive?Maybe his parents did'nt meet, maybe he was killed in a car accident, maybe humans did'nt evolve.Any event in history could drastically change the future.