FLM films - My Webpage

1998-04-27 00:00:00 - What if they MISS the slide? - (Huy Hoang <huyhoang@softhome.net>)

I remember that if they miss the slide, they will be stuck in a dimension for 29-30 years before a new slide pops up? Here's my question, if Quinn is so intelligent, why doesn't he builds a new one? And about that timer clock. If they stay on a world for 24 hours, can't they just alter it? It is just a piece of machine, isn't it? I mean, you can alter your computer too and that doesn't mean it is going to malfunction or something? Even if it does do crazier than before, just alter it back. Can't Mallory do that???

1998-04-27 00:00:00 - Re: What if they MISS the slide? - (mobiusrun@aol.com)

>I remember that if they miss the slide, they will be stuck in a dimension >for 29-30 years >before a new slide pops up? Here's my question, if Quinn is so intelligent, >why doesn't >he builds a new one? And about that timer clock. >If they stay on a world for 24 hours, can't they just alter it? >It is just a piece of machine, isn't it? >I mean, you can alter your computer too and that doesn't mean it is going to >malfunction >or something? Even if it does do crazier than before, just alter it back. >Can't Mallory do that??? It doesn't have to do with the timer, it deals with the physics of sliding. The window when it's most likely for them to return to their version of earth only opens every 21 years or so (I'm not sure of the number), so if they're stuck, then they have to wait for the next window. I think that the timer gets fried or damaged if they slide early - wasn't that the problem in the first season? I hope that helped. Under US Laws, a computer/modem/printer meets the definition of a telephone fax machine. It is unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment, punishable by action to recover actual monetary losses and compensations.

1998-05-01 00:00:00 - Re: What if they MISS the slide? - (Ron Nehemia <ronehem@ibm.net>)

Ok... First of all, they can't alter the sliding time, becuse that IS why they are sliding all the time!(Like MoebiusRun said...) In the first episode they programmed the timer for 5 hours, then they got to a place that they assumed had a nuclear winter or somthing and then they saw a hurrican and changed the time of the slide. If they wouldn't change the sliding time they would go directly to their own earth and wouldn't be stuck sliding beetween earths. And secondly, (parten me for asking a stupid question like this) i'm from israel and here they didn't broadcast the 3rd season yet, so can anyone explain to me about that stuff with the "every 20+ years the gate for their earth is open". Thirdly, how can quinn alter it back like you said at the end??? "even if it does go crazier than before, just alter it back"- what a dumb question, if he alters it back before the slide then it didn't help, and it would be like he never altered it in the first place! And if he would change it after the slide than it would still mess it up. P.S- Mobius said that if they alter it the timer would burn, well... It's partly right, it IS POSSIBLE that it will help to cause some overload, but the more direct affect is that it wouldn't take them back to their own earth. Well, i'm done. C ya later!!�

[...]

1998-05-01 00:00:00 - Re: What if they MISS the slide? - (Jon Stipe <jstipe@ccis.com>)

In the Pilot Quinn activated the timer early on Ice World. As he explains in "Double Cross", doing this caused a program crash that erased their home coordinates. Presumably if they activate it early again it will cause further damage to the timer- it may stop working completely. And it has been stated several times that if they miss the slide, they will be stuck in that world for 29 years. (In the missing scene from "Summer of Love" he says it's 29.7 years, and in "Electric Twister Acid Test" someone said Arturo said 30. So I'm assuming 29.7 is the correct figure- when they say 29 or 30 they're probably just rounding it off.)

1998-05-02 00:00:00 - Re: What if they MISS the slide? - (Alan <Alan@Voyager1.Softnet.co.uk>)

Huy Hoang wrote in message <6i2d5k$cl4$2@cadmium.aware.nl>... >I remember that if they miss the slide, they will be stuck in a dimension >for 29-30 years >before a new slide pops up? Here's my question, if Quinn is so intelligent, >why doesn't >he builds a new one? And about that timer clock. >If they stay on a world for 24 hours, can't they just alter it? >It is just a piece of machine, isn't it? >I mean, you can alter your computer too and that doesn't mean it is going to >malfunction >or something? Even if it does do crazier than before, just alter it back. Hi, If the miss the slide,if i recall correctly it will be 29.7years before they can use the timer again. A new timer wouldn't help as it would need a new sliding machine. Not every world they slide onto has the tech to build sliding equipment, and judging from the pilot and later epsiodes Quinn actually stumpled on Sliding(S4 eps change this somewhat). Alan#