FLM films - My Webpage

1996-06-19 00:00:00 - Re: Hello from Australia - ("Andy P. Jung" <apjung@ix.netcom.com>)


The first season had 10 episodes, the second had 13 (11 shown here in the US so far), and next season will have a full 25 episodes! Have you seen "Love Gods" yet? Australia is the superpower on that Earth. -- Andy http://pages.prodigy.com/andyjung/ > j.elkington@jns.com.au (John Elkington) wrote in article <4q7hvf$qe7@budapest.ozonline.com.au>... > Hello, > > As seen in other fellow countrymen's posts we are enjoying sliders > downunder! > > Was the first and second series only 13 episodes long? > > Is the third series 22? > >

1996-06-19 00:00:00 - Hello from Australia - (j.elkington@jns.com.au)


Hello, As seen in other fellow countrymen's posts we are enjoying sliders downunder! Was the first and second series only 13 episodes long? Is the third series 22?

1996-06-20 00:00:00 - Re: Hello from Australia - (thirteen@fred.net)


In article <4q7hvf$qe7@budapest.ozonline.com.au>, j.elkington@jns.com.au (John Elkington) wrote: > Hello, > > As seen in other fellow countrymen's posts we are enjoying sliders > downunder! > > Was the first and second series only 13 episodes long? > > Is the third series 22? I think the first one was 10. The present (second) one is 13, and the next one will be a full brace of 22. -- Stop by and set a spell at http://www.fred.net/thirteen/

1996-06-22 00:00:00 - Sliders naive? - (Craig Goulder <egoulder@cc.curtin.edu.au>)


Brad Ferguson wrote: > > In article <4q7hvf$qe7@budapest.ozonline.com.au>, j.elkington@jns.com.au > (John Elkington) wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > As seen in other fellow countrymen's posts we are enjoying sliders > > downunder! Occasionally anyway. Were you not just a little sickened by the Australian accent attempts in the episode where we were supposedly a super-power. Not to mention the line; 'Go back to Australia, and watch out for the Wallabies' This is some of the content of several episodes where the show seems to be completely ignorant of every other countries culture. It seems to me that they will have an episode where some other country has fucked up America, except America. Now I know this is probably going to cop a lot of flaming, so let it commence.

1996-06-22 00:00:00 - Re: Sliders naive? - (denmar@ix.netcom.com)


>Occasionally anyway. Were you not just a little sickened by the >Australian accent attempts in the episode where we were supposedly a >super-power. Not to mention the line; >'Go back to Australia, and watch out for the Wallabies' >This is some of the content of several episodes where the show seems to >be completely ignorant of every other countries culture. It seems to me >that they will have an episode where some other country has fucked up >America, except America. >Now I know this is probably going to cop a lot of flaming, so let it >commence. That's because Americans' understanding of Australia is mainly derived from watching the Mad Max, Crocodile Dundee, and Paul Hogan proclaiming "Throw another shrimp on the barby!".

1996-06-22 00:00:00 - Re: Sliders naive? - (Silverwind <silver@dazed.nol.net>)


On 22 Jun 1996, DENMAR wrote: > 'Go back to Australia, and watch out for the Wallabies' Well, okay. I can understand the accents being wrong (but hey, actors are only so talented..), but what the hell is wrong with that line? Yes, it's inaccurate, but it was just a little ignorant line said by someone who doesn't like another person.. just something stupid, like "Don't let the door hit you on the way out..". The Australians could have just as easily said something there, like, "Don't get in a gunfight," or, "Don't choke on a hamburger," or, "Go have some fun on the range," or something equally stupid. I thought it was good writing. I laughed, loudly. -sil-

1996-06-25 00:00:00 - World culturalism - was Re: Sliders naive? - (Philip Chien <kc4yer@amsat.org>)


In article <31CC3767.1FC8@cc.curtin.edu.au> Craig Goulder, egoulder@cc.curtin.edu.au writes: > It seems to me >that they will have an episode where some other country has fucked up >America, except America. Actually there have been several episodes where the Slider Universe has shown a messed up United States, or stereotypes of United Statesians. We've seen an Earth where Texas took over California. We've seen a world where people actually take Howard Stern seriously. We've seen a world where they take J. Edgar Hoover seriously. We've seen a world where they didn't take the Constitution seriously. (Well, I'm repeating myself) So there have been a bunch more shows which have shown problems within the United States than Australia. Yes, the "Love Gods" show did feature a rather stereotypical view of Oz. But what would you have expected them to show? A highly westernized nation where people drive on the wrong side of the road and treat women and indigenous populations badly? That's a much more accurate view of Australia - but not one which the tourism office tries to publicize. Like it or not a large percentage of television is created within the United States, especially shows for export. (And while Sliders was filmed in Canada it is clearly a Hollywood production, funded and controlled by a U.S. studio primarily for a U.S. network). And most television producers and writers are American-centric. So American-culturalism does tend to spread through television shows. Look at the original "Star Trek" series which was supposed to be a major step forward for multi-culturalism. For its time it certainly was. But imagine the 23rd century with a starship populated by a crew from many different worlds - to say nothing about different countries. Kirk - from Iowa (as established in "ST:IV") Spock - from Vulcan McCoy - from Georgia Scotty - from Scotland Sulu - from San Francisco (as established in "ST:IV") Chekov - from Moscow Uhura - never established, but she speaks Swahili which would _IMPLY_ certain portions of Africa. So it turns out that three out of the seven lead characters were from what was known as the United States in the 20th century. A rather distorted ratio considering the population of the Earth and the number of member worlds of the Federation. Sliders really isn't that different. Philip Chien, Earth News - space writer and consultant PCHIEN@IDS.NET __ __^__ __________ | \ +---/ \---+ (========= |____\___________ +---\_____/---+ // >____)| | \__ \ \______//___ >/ |________| \ [ _____\ >|____________________\ \_______/ Roger, go at throttle up CHR$(32) the final frontier

1996-06-28 00:00:00 - Re: World culturalism - was Re: Sliders naive? - (Grammatis Tsintzoglou <gram@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU>)


Hi there, I'm an enthusiastic Australian viewer of sliders. I've been watching it for a while now, and only recently joined this news group. Anyway I was reading through some messages and came across your response to another Australians comments on the sliders series ignorance to other cultures. I'm not replying to you out of anger or to feed you with crap, but I think you have badly stereotyped the Australian population. Your comments on our treating of the indigenous peoples was highly offensive. Ancestors of primary English firstly landed in southern Australia (just over 200 years ago). I'm not putting down the english here either, but they came down here and commenced to build was is present Australia. These ancestors with no doubt treated the indigenous aboriginal culture in less than humane ways (even I'm stereotyping here). This stereotype has now been unwillingly inherited by the young people of Australia. Today Australia is much more than it seems. It is a multicultural place filled with people of all the cultures around the world. It is a place of opportunity for many people which live here now and for those that plan to in the future. So we are not the stereotype that you have portrayed us as. In your message you also stated that sliders is all American (even though filmed in canada). Why should the Americans care how they portray other cultures you seemed to imply? After all its american funded you also stated. Well the way the Australians were portrayed in that episode did annoy me a little (but I partially accepted it, due to the state of the world which the sliders landed on). Though I still think that this is offensive and that it must be watched out for by worlwide television entertainment such as sliders. Perhaps the comments by your own fellow countryman Marlon Brando earlier this year will provide some evidence of this, And I really respect Mr Brando for coming forward in such a manner even though it may have altered his reputation.. I really hope you have understodd or at laest seen the point I'm trying to make you realise. In you message you also implied that you can't see cultures coming together in space, and you gave the example of star trek. I'm now wondering of your age (do not be offended by this), as this sort of thinking is only present in the people that used to run and still do run our countries. I'm only 19 years old and as a young citizen of Australia feel that the only way man will survive in peace in the futer is by working together. By this I mean people of all cultures coming together, acceptong their differences, and making a more luminous and peaceful planet to live on (whether it be Earth or whatever). My friend I think you should think about this as young people like me will be making decisions for humankind in the future, and will have to try restore everything from the mess that our previous generations have left us in. I'm sure that many other young people all around the world feel as me and I hope you also give this some thought. I won't be writing anymore of these types of messages on this newsgroup, unless neccessary. I hope you will have a little more consideration when writing messages next time. For all other sliders fans reading this I hope I have not bored you but hope you also think about the above points I have tried to make you see. AS for the sliders series, it's great and hope they keep some good story lines coming in!

1996-06-29 00:00:00 - Re: World culturalism - was Re: Sliders naive? - (paul.beddows@deepcove.bc.ca)


Grammatis Tsintzoglou <gram@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU> wrote: >Hi there, > I'm an enthusiastic Australian viewer of sliders. I've been >watching it for a while now, and only recently joined this news group. >Anyway I was reading through some messages and came across your response >to another Australians comments on the sliders series ignorance to other >cultures. I'm not replying to you out of anger or to feed you with crap, >but I think you have badly stereotyped the Australian population. Your >comments on our treating of the indigenous peoples was highly offensive. >Ancestors of primary English firstly landed in >southern Australia (just over 200 years ago). I'm not putting down the >english here either, but they came down here and commenced to build was >is present Australia. These ancestors with no doubt treated the >indigenous aboriginal culture in less than humane ways (even I'm >stereotyping here). This stereotype has now been unwillingly >inherited by >the young people of Australia. Today Australia is much more than it >seems. It is a multicultural place filled with people of all the cultures >around the world. It is a place of opportunity for many people which live >here now and for those that plan to in the future. So we are not the >stereotype that you have portrayed us as. > In your message you also stated that sliders is all American >(even though filmed in canada). Why should the Americans care how they >portray other cultures you seemed to imply? After all its american funded >you also stated. Well the way the Australians were portrayed in that >episode did annoy me a little (but I partially accepted it, due to the >state of the world which the sliders landed on). Though I still think >that this is offensive and that it must be watched out for by worlwide >television entertainment such as sliders. Perhaps the comments by your >own fellow countryman Marlon Brando earlier this year will provide some >evidence of this, And I really respect Mr Brando for coming forward in >such a manner even though it may have altered his reputation.. I really >hope you have understodd or at laest seen the point I'm trying to make you >realise. > In you message you also implied that you can't see cultures coming >together in space, and you gave the example of star trek. I'm now >wondering of your age (do not be offended by this), as this sort of >thinking is only present in the people that used to run and still do run >our countries. I'm only 19 years old and as a young citizen of Australia >feel that the only way man will survive in peace in the futer is by >working together. By this I mean people of all cultures coming together, >acceptong their differences, and making a more luminous and peaceful >planet to live on (whether it be Earth or whatever). My friend I think >you should think about this as young people like me will be making >decisions for humankind in the future, and will have to try restore >everything from the mess that our previous generations have left us in. >I'm sure that many other young people all around the world feel as me and >I hope you also give this some thought. I won't be writing anymore of >these types of messages on this newsgroup, unless neccessary. > I hope you will have a little more consideration when writing >messages next time. >For all other sliders fans reading this I hope I have not bored you but >hope you also think about the above points I have tried to make you see. >AS for the sliders series, it's great and hope they keep some good story >lines coming in! I fully agree with what you are saying. My cousin Aussie and a have met many Australians during my travels around the world, and hope to get there myself in the near future. Oddly enough i find most Australians to be very similar to Canadians of which I am one, although I have to confess I was born a Pommie. Up hear we have to put up with a different type of indignation from our American neighbours. It called ignorance (I know I'm generalizing). I think this is mainly due to the American education system.. Even though we share 5000 Km of border. The large number of Americans would be unable to name our Capital or Prime Minister or 3 or 4 of our major cities, whereas any Canadian schoolkid could recite off most of the US states and their capitals. Another irritation revolves around series such as Sliders. Vancouver, the city I live in, has an active TV and Movie industry second only to Los Angelos and many familiar American series, such as X-Files, Outer Limits and of course Sliders are filmed here. Despite the large number of productions, Vancouver is always made out to be an American city like Seattle or San Francisco. It seems that the powers that be believe that a series set in a Canadian City would be unpalable to an American audience. This is a constant irritation to most people around here, especially when their day to day lives are constantly being inconvienienced by film crews, especially downtown.

1996-06-30 00:00:00 - Re: World culturalism - was Re: Sliders naive? - (scarpntr@3-cities.com)


On Sat, 29 Jun 1996 04:06:22 GMT, paul.beddows@deepcove.bc.ca (paul beddows) wrote: >Up hear we have to put >up with a different type of indignation from our American neighbours. >It called ignorance (I know I'm generalizing). I think this is mainly >due to the American education system.. Even though we share 5000 Km of >border. The large number of Americans would be unable to name our >Capital or Prime Minister or 3 or 4 of our major cities, whereas any >Canadian schoolkid could recite off most of the US states and their >capitals. De-lurking here for a second: I'd have to give you that one. I've lived most of my life closer to the Mexican border than Canadian, and *never* heard a word of Canadian news. I recently moved to Washington, and now hear it all the time. I'm planning on getting up there within the next few months (probably just to Vancouver, but it's a start), but the little bits that I've heard tell me Canada is probably a more "civilized" place than the US tries to be. Hell, if it weren't for jobs, I might try emmigrating.

1996-07-03 00:00:00 - Re: World culturalism - was Re: Sliders naive? - (Tristan@fox.nstn.ca)


In article <4r0v4l$hcd@marine.jumppoint.com>, paul.beddows@deepcove.bc.ca (paul beddows) wrote: > I fully agree with what you are saying. My cousin Aussie and a have > met many Australians during my travels around the world, and hope to > get there myself in the near future. Oddly enough i find most > Australians to be very similar to Canadians of which I am one, > although I have to confess I was born a Pommie. Up hear we have to put > up with a different type of indignation from our American neighbours.... [ ... snip ... ] Between Toronto and Vancouver, I think we've probably promoted American culture more (or at least it would seem that way) than L.A. over the past couple of years (even though Atlantis films, the creators of Sliders and The Outer Limits is based in Toronto). There's not a day go by that you see a movie set - or four - set up to mask T.O. as New York or Chicago, or whatever. The unfortunate reality, of course, is that the funding for these expensive productions still rests too heavily on accepted distribution by the American market. Having said this, however, one season of Due South had been cancelled, Alliance pictures (based in Toronto) maintained its committment to the show by pushing its other international distribution links more heavily. This actually worked for awhile, thus without playing in the US, Due South was successful on the world stage alone. This didn't last, unfortunately, this past year, when CBS cancelled Due South, Alliance couldn't keep the committment going - I don't honestly know the exact reasons this time, but I'm sure money had a lot to do with it };-> So, for you budding producers out there, it's time for those heavy co-productions! Ge that production fund cash a-flowin', 'cause that's the only way Vancouver and T.O. will ever get the chance to play themselves. Jason

1996-09-01 00:00:00 - Re: World culturalism - was Re: Sliders naive? - (doctord@connexus.apana.org.au)


In article <4r0v4l$hcd@marine.jumppoint.com>, paul.beddows@deepcove.bc.ca says... > >Grammatis Tsintzoglou <gram@minyos.its.rmit.EDU.AU> wrote: > >>Hi there, >> I'm an enthusiastic Australian viewer of sliders. I've been >>watching it for a while now, and only recently joined this news group. >>Anyway I was reading through some messages and came across your response >>to another Australians comments on the sliders series ignorance to other >>cultures. I'm not replying to you out of anger or to feed you with crap, >>but I think you have badly stereotyped the Australian population. Your >>comments on our treating of the indigenous peoples was highly offensive. >>Ancestors of primary English firstly landed in >>southern Australia (just over 200 years ago). I'm not putting down the >>english here either, but they came down here and commenced to build was >>is present Australia. These ancestors with no doubt treated the >>indigenous aboriginal culture in less than humane ways (even I'm >>stereotyping here). This stereotype has now been unwillingly >>inherited by >>the young people of Australia. Today Australia is much more than it >>seems. It is a multicultural place filled with people of all the cultures >>around the world. It is a place of opportunity for many people which live >>here now and for those that plan to in the future. So we are not the >>stereotype that you have portrayed us as. > >> In your message you also stated that sliders is all American >>(even though filmed in canada). Why should the Americans care how they >>portray other cultures you seemed to imply? After all its american funded >>you also stated. Well the way the Australians were portrayed in that >>episode did annoy me a little (but I partially accepted it, due to the >>state of the world which the sliders landed on). Though I still think >>that this is offensive and that it must be watched out for by worlwide >>television entertainment such as sliders. Perhaps the comments by your >>own fellow countryman Marlon Brando earlier this year will provide some >>evidence of this, And I really respect Mr Brando for coming forward in >>such a manner even though it may have altered his reputation.. I really >>hope you have understodd or at laest seen the point I'm trying to make you >>realise. > >> In you message you also implied that you can't see cultures coming >>together in space, and you gave the example of star trek. I'm now >>wondering of your age (do not be offended by this), as this sort of >>thinking is only present in the people that used to run and still do run >>our countries. I'm only 19 years old and as a young citizen of Australia >>feel that the only way man will survive in peace in the futer is by >>working together. By this I mean people of all cultures coming together, >>acceptong their differences, and making a more luminous and peaceful >>planet to live on (whether it be Earth or whatever). My friend I think >>you should think about this as young people like me will be making >>decisions for humankind in the future, and will have to try restore >>everything from the mess that our previous generations have left us in. >>I'm sure that many other young people all around the world feel as me and >>I hope you also give this some thought. I won't be writing anymore of >>these types of messages on this newsgroup, unless neccessary. >> I hope you will have a little more consideration when writing >>messages next time. > > >>For all other sliders fans reading this I hope I have not bored you but >>hope you also think about the above points I have tried to make you see. > > > >>AS for the sliders series, it's great and hope they keep some good story >>lines coming in! > >I fully agree with what you are saying. My cousin Aussie and a have >met many Australians during my travels around the world, and hope to >get there myself in the near future. Oddly enough i find most >Australians to be very similar to Canadians of which I am one, >although I have to confess I was born a Pommie. Up hear we have to put >up with a different type of indignation from our American neighbours. >It called ignorance (I know I'm generalizing). I think this is mainly >due to the American education system.. Even though we share 5000 Km of >border. The large number of Americans would be unable to name our >Capital or Prime Minister or 3 or 4 of our major cities, whereas any >Canadian schoolkid could recite off most of the US states and their >capitals. Another irritation revolves around series such as Sliders. >Vancouver, the city I live in, has an active TV and Movie industry >second only to Los Angelos and many familiar American series, such as >X-Files, Outer Limits and of course Sliders are filmed here. Despite >the large number of productions, Vancouver is always made out to be an >American city like Seattle or San Francisco. It seems that the powers >that be believe that a series set in a Canadian City would be >unpalable to an American audience. This is a constant irritation to >most people around here, especially when their day to day lives are >constantly being inconvienienced by film crews, especially downtown. >