FLM films - My Webpage

1996-04-01 00:00:00 - Why haven't they gotten back? - (bhead@inxpress.net)


This probably looks like a gag up front, but I've seriously been asking this question. In all the sci-fi material about parralel/alternate universes I'VE read, the travelers go from the the closest thing to their world to the farthest. I realize Sliders has (partially) kept up with that, but that depends on your definition of alternate. To put it simply, I beleive an alternate universe is a universe where something is different from the starting world. This, however could include something as small as me posting this article. So, essentialy, every action you take results in a new universe. Therefore, why(besides keeping the show going) haven't the sliders slid to a world where the only thing different is that atom so and so never bonded with atom this and this to produce molecule such and such? Any responses(intelligent ones at least) will be much appreciated. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- With a single stomp, YOU my freind have wiped out any hope of humanity's survival...YOU my freind have STEPPED on all the mammoths of the reigon -Ray Bradbury

1996-04-01 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (Reflux <reflux@paracom.com>)


Neal Shah wrote: > > This probably looks like a gag up front, but I've seriously been asking > this question. In all the sci-fi material about parralel/alternate > universes I'VE read, the travelers go from the the closest thing to their > world to the farthest. I realize Sliders has (partially) kept up with > that, but that depends on your definition of alternate. To put it simply, > I beleive an alternate universe is a universe where something is different > from the starting world. This, however could include something as small > as me posting this article. So, essentialy, every action you take results > in a new universe. Therefore, why(besides keeping the show going) > haven't the sliders slid to a world where the only thing different is that > atom so and so never bonded with atom this and this to produce molecule > such and such? Any responses(intelligent ones at least) will be much > appreciated. > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------- The reason is that those worlds would be uninteresting. Ben Bova once said, "Without conflict, there is no story." This is very true. How good an episode would it be if they came to a world where the only difference was that Mrs. Johnson decided not to purchase a poodle, but purchased a schnauser instead. They wait around for four hours until it's time to slide again, and that's the show. Blah. That's why we have those innocuous little snippets at the beginning and/or end of each episode...not worth devoting an hour to, but interesting as a side-bar. -- REFLUX --- Leaving a Bad Taste in Your Mouth. *** Commit Random Acts Of Kindness And Sensless Acts Of Beauty. ***

1996-04-01 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (Brad Austin <austib@rpi.edu>)


Neal Shah wrote: > > This probably looks like a gag up front, but I've seriously been asking > this question. In all the sci-fi material about parralel/alternate > universes I'VE read, the travelers go from the the closest thing to their > world to the farthest. I realize Sliders has (partially) kept up with > that, but that depends on your definition of alternate. To put it simply, > I beleive an alternate universe is a universe where something is different > from the starting world. This, however could include something as small > as me posting this article. So, essentialy, every action you take results > in a new universe. Therefore, why(besides keeping the show going) > haven't the sliders slid to a world where the only thing different is that > atom so and so never bonded with atom this and this to produce molecule > such and such? Any responses(intelligent ones at least) will be much > appreciated. > You're absolutely right, except there's no reason why they should have slid to such a world. Think of universes are existsing in, for lack of a better word, "chunks". Now, there are a chunk of universes where everything macroscopically is like our universe, except certain atoms never bonded to form certain molecules. There are also a chunk of universes where Elvis is alive, JFK is president, green lights mean stop (to use a conspicuous example), where the difference between them is only the atomic scale thing. Now, disperse these universes randomly throughout the available space in the multiverse, so that you are no more likely to land in one set of universes or the other. You now have a 50-50 chance of landing on your earth, and the Elvis earth. Now add more chunks for all the alternate histories out there, and now you have reduced the probability of ever returning to any one "chunk" of universes so much that it is nearly impossible. Hope that made some sense. -Brad

1996-04-03 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (denmar@ix.netcom.com)


>This probably looks like a gag up front, but I've seriously been asking >this question. In all the sci-fi material about parralel/alternate >universes I'VE read, the travelers go from the the closest thing to their >world to the farthest. I realize Sliders has (partially) kept up with >that, but that depends on your definition of alternate. To put it simply, >I beleive an alternate universe is a universe where something is different >from the starting world. This, however could include something as small >as me posting this article. So, essentialy, every action you take results >in a new universe. Therefore, why(besides keeping the show going) >haven't the sliders slid to a world where the only thing different is that >atom so and so never bonded with atom this and this to produce molecule >such and such? Any responses(intelligent ones at least) will be much >appreciated. > >---------------------------------------------------------------------- -- >With a single stomp, YOU my freind have wiped out any hope of humanity's >survival...YOU my freind have STEPPED on all the mammoths of the >reigon. >-Ray Bradbury I guess your point is, why haven't they made it to a world so close to theirs they can just say "the hell with it, we're staying." This reminds me of that Simpsons episode which spoofs the Ray Bradbury story I believe you are quoting above. After Homer visits several alternate futures, he goes back in time and kills a bunch of prehistoric animals to try to correct future events, then returns to the present to find everything normal except for the fact that his family eats their dinner with lizard tongues, and says, "hmm...close enough."!

1996-04-04 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (ugkdude56@aol.com)


I agree with the chat going on in this subject, but if you think about (whoever didn't understand) this is how multiple univereses are created from one world. Original World \Something happens and creates another universe. \Ten things happen here and create ten more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... \etc... The things can be any "choice" that was made on that world such as someone waits 10 seconds extra to take a wizz (sorry about that, couldn't think of anything else) which makes that person pee in his pants which makes someone make fun of him which gives him an angry mood and he kicks one of their butts or something like that and on an alternate world he gets to the bathroom in time and doesn't go to jail for killing someone or beating them up. Of course, infinite choices are made every second if you count all the universes that exist, so basically, about 1 sextillon universes are created every .01 seconds (probably a lot more then that) so you should see that there TRUELY are INFINITE universes. Well, there aren't REALLY, but on the show. :) If you dont understand now I dont know how to explain it better. :) The chances of the Sliders finding their original home is IMPOSSIBLE without the help of reconfiguring the timer (like in "Into The Mystic") because by the time the Sliders actually find their home they would have died zillions of times unless they get REALLY lucky like playing a Pick-1000000 lottery. Keep Sliding...

1996-04-05 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (Largo Sama <khorwitz@titan.oit.umass.edu>)


On 1 Apr 1996, Neal Shah wrote: > This probably looks like a gag up front, but I've seriously been asking > this question. In all the sci-fi material about parralel/alternate > universes I'VE read, the travelers go from the the closest thing to their > world to the farthest. I realize Sliders has (partially) kept up with > that, but that depends on your definition of alternate. To put it simply, > I beleive an alternate universe is a universe where something is different > from the starting world. This, however could include something as small > as me posting this article. So, essentialy, every action you take results > in a new universe. Therefore, why(besides keeping the show going) > haven't the sliders slid to a world where the only thing different is that > atom so and so never bonded with atom this and this to produce molecule > such and such? Any responses(intelligent ones at least) will be much > appreciated. > I've actually thought about this one myself... but I have come up with this. Yes, they could slide into the world where John Doe decided to have eggs that day, rather then toast and everything else is just like normal, but remember, every world has that happening. You may go to the world where women wear beards + John Doe decided to have eggs instead of toast... so, they balance out and the Sliders still have the same odds of reaching Earth Prime Largo Sama _______________________________________________________________________________ Let me show you my utopia, a world controlled through only fear and chaos. Are you capable of defending against it, I wonder??? -Largo, Bubblegum Crash, Episode 2 KHorwitz@Student.umass.edu Khorwitz@titan.oit.umass.edu

1996-04-06 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (jlarence@ix.netcom.com)


ugkdude56@aol.com (UGKDUDE56) wrote: >I agree with the chat going on in this subject, but if you think about >(whoever didn't understand) this is how multiple univereses are created >from one world. >Original World >\Something happens and creates another universe. > \Ten things happen here and create ten more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \100 Things happen here and create 100 more universes... > \etc... {{snip}} You tell 2 friends and they tell 2 friends and so on and so on and so on. sorry just couldnt resist being cute don larence {{{{{{{{{Ensign Te'Nak Rohr USSAtlantia}}}}}}}}}}} Dont read this line, its not cute or funny or anything - its just here

1996-04-07 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (bhead@inxpress.net)


In article <4k01vi$bpt@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, ugkdude56@aol.com (UGKDUDE56) says: > >I agree with the chat going on in this subject, but if you think about >(whoever didn't understand) this is how multiple univereses are created >from one world. >The things can be any "choice" that was made on that world such as someone >waits 10 seconds extra to take a wizz (sorry about that, couldn't think of >anything else) which makes that person pee in his pants which makes >someone make fun of him which gives him an angry mood and he kicks one of >their butts or something like that and on an alternate world he gets to >the bathroom in time and doesn't go to jail for killing someone or beating >them up. > >Of course, infinite choices are made every second if you count all the >universes that exist, so basically, about 1 sextillon universes are >created every .01 seconds (probably a lot more then that) so you should >see that there TRUELY are INFINITE universes. Well, there aren't REALLY, >but on the show. :) > >If you dont understand now I dont know how to explain it better. :) >The chances of the Sliders finding their original home is IMPOSSIBLE >without the help of reconfiguring the timer (like in "Into The Mystic") >because by the time the Sliders actually find their home they would have >died zillions of times unless they get REALLY lucky like playing a >Pick-1000000 lottery. > >Keep Sliding... I must have phrased my subject wrong, what I meant was, why haven't they gotten to a world that wasn't too radically far away from earth prime? Lets use your example, suppose the Sliders came to that world, unless the guy was someone important, would it matter what happened to him if everything else was the same? It's not like they open up the newspaper and find a small article about a guy getting thrown in jail for peeing his pants and say, "Ah, hah! That didn't(how would they know anyway?)happen in our world, this is an alternate world!", and then leave! Why would they want to?

1996-04-12 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (Michael Haylett <mikeh@mhaylett.demon.co.uk>)


Chad M. Fraleigh (cmfrale@clark.net) wrote: -deletions- : They would need to get back to the world in which they origonated because : otherwise, there will be two of each of them on whaveter incorrect world : they are on. -deletions- There wouldnt necessarily be two of them.If the only difference was miniscule and not related to the personal history of our Sliders,then at roughly the same time as our Sliders slid to the Ice Age World,a corresponding group would have also have left the similar Universe(we know that plenty of the other parallel worlds have a Quinn who has discovered sliding)and got stranded elsewhere just like our group.

1996-04-13 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (cmfrale@clark.net)


Largo Sama (khorwitz@titan.oit.umass.edu) wrote: : On 1 Apr 1996, Neal Shah wrote: : : > in a new universe. Therefore, why(besides keeping the show going) : > haven't the sliders slid to a world where the only thing different is that : > atom so and so never bonded with atom this and this to produce molecule : > such and such? Any responses(intelligent ones at least) will be much : > appreciated. : > They would need to get back to the world in which they origonated because otherwise, there will be two of each of them on whaveter incorrect world they are on. Although, I suppose one of the things diffrent about one of the worlds they visit could be that none of them exist on that world. Their parents never met and therefore they were not born. I suppose the main reason they don't find a world that is not home, but they can live happily in, is because that would end the reason for having the show. Just like.. why didn't Quinn's mother step outside just one minute sooner when they really were home that one time? Why? Because then there would be no premise for the show... and so.. they go on...

1996-04-14 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (aardvark <aardvark@wanderer.com>)


Actually... they have gone home once (which in itself was a billiion to one - being generous - chance). In the episode where vampire are all around - and one man (The Sorcerer) controls the world... DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE END OF THE EPISODE Spoiler Below I warned you... At the end of the episode - The Sorcerer (Quinn in another world) has mastered Sliding - He sends them home. When they get there they only have 30 seconds to decide if they are staying or sliding again. Rembrant finds a newspaper and see's that O.J. Simpson was aquitted of murder and the Cleveland Broowns are leaving Cleveland, etc. and decideds this world is not the right world -and they slide again. I think the earlier posts are right though - they would have encountered SOME worlds that are remarkably simmilar with only a few changes. At least the show (at the begining and end) gives the impression that they are visiting other worlds not so remarkable that they need not make a show about them. Aard

1996-04-14 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (Andrew Gerber <andrewg@isidaho.com>)


Michael Haylett wrote: > > Chad M. Fraleigh (cmfrale@clark.net) wrote: > -deletions- > : They would need to get back to the world in which they origonated because > : otherwise, there will be two of each of them on whaveter incorrect world > : they are on. > -deletions- > > There wouldnt necessarily be two of them.If the only difference was > miniscule and not related to the personal history of our Sliders,then at > roughly the same time as our Sliders slid to the Ice Age World,a > corresponding group would have also have left the similar Universe(we know > that plenty of the other parallel worlds have a Quinn who has discovered > sliding)and got stranded elsewhere just like our group. Interesting thought...I wonder if they might meet another group of themselves that are also Sliding around trying to find a way home...they could exchange notes on the worlds they've seen. In addition, maybe Quinn and Wade have becaome a couple with the other group... Also, maybe they would accidentally "switch" sliders, mixing the groups up, and then who knows what mayhem might ensue... -Croyd

1996-04-16 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (thirteen@fred.net)


In article <317120BC.7561@wanderer.com>, aardvark <aardvark@wanderer.com> wrote: > Actually... they have gone home once (which in itself was a billiion to > one - being generous - chance). But it wasn't that big a chance. After he fooled with the timer, Sorcerer Quinn said there were two destinations possible: a high-probability one (their own, home Earth) or a low-probability one (anywhere at all). It was a 50-50 shot and, given the evidence, they had to assume they'd arrived on the low-probability Earth. If they'd stayed and been wrong, they couldn't slide again for 27 years and some months. > When they get there they only > have 30 seconds to decide if they are staying or sliding again. They had 53 seconds. All the time in the world, right? (Well, maybe enough time for Quinn to yell "Hey, Mom!" toward the house to see what happened.) What hasn't been established is whether the Sliders are confronted with an infinite or finite number of possibilities. If there are an infinite number of Earths, then the odds on their arriving home by chance are infinity to one: They can never go home because the odds are infinitely against it. It may be that they can reach only a relatively small subset of worlds, which means a return home by random chance is possible. -- Stop by and set a spell at http://www.fred.net/thirteen/

1996-04-18 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (Andrew Gerber <andrewg@isidaho.com>)


Brad Ferguson wrote: > > In article <317120BC.7561@wanderer.com>, aardvark <aardvark@wanderer.com> wrote: > > > Actually... they have gone home once (which in itself was a billiion to > > one - being generous - chance). > > But it wasn't that big a chance. After he fooled with the timer, Sorcerer > Quinn said there were two destinations possible: a high-probability one > (their own, home Earth) or a low-probability one (anywhere at all). It > was a 50-50 shot and, given the evidence, they had to assume they'd > arrived on the low-probability Earth. If they'd stayed and been wrong, > they couldn't slide again for 27 years and some months. Why not find a world that looks good and then stay there, perfecting the 'Sliding' device? This way, they at least have a solid place to return to each time. I know, it just wouldn't be the same... -Croyd Crenson

1996-04-22 00:00:00 - Re: Why haven't they gotten back? - (Sam Deth <samdeth@neworld.net>)


Andrew Gerber wrote: > > Brad Ferguson wrote: > > > > In article <317120BC.7561@wanderer.com>, aardvark <aardvark@wanderer.com> wrote: > > > > > Actually... they have gone home once (which in itself was a billiion to > > > one - being generous - chance). > > > > But it wasn't that big a chance. After he fooled with the timer, Sorcerer > > Quinn said there were two destinations possible: a high-probability one > > (their own, home Earth) or a low-probability one (anywhere at all). It > > was a 50-50 shot and, given the evidence, they had to assume they'd > > arrived on the low-probability Earth. If they'd stayed and been wrong, > > they couldn't slide again for 27 years and some months. > > Why not find a world that looks good and then stay there, perfecting the > 'Sliding' device? This way, they at least have a solid place to return > to each time. I know, it just wouldn't be the same... > > -Croyd Crenson Because everytime they find a seemingly perfect world (lottery world) something goes dreadfully wrong for them. Besides...if they settled down it would become a hell of a boring show. Sam Deth