FLM films - My Webpage

1996-08-04 00:00:00 - Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net)


I know that in the first slide with the others they slid premature and that sent them out of control. But since they are out of control anyway why not just keep making slides as soon as they discover that they are not home?? Why wait for the timer now? They already screwed up. Of course, that that would make for an intersting show. Maybe I just missed something and misunderstood it. Tim

1996-08-04 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (David Lacasse <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net>)


Tim wrote: > > I know that in the first slide with the others they slid premature and > that sent them out of control. But since they are out of control > anyway why not just keep making slides as soon as they discover that > they are not home?? Why wait for the timer now? They already screwed > up. > > Of course, that that would make for an intersting show. Maybe I just > missed something and misunderstood it. > > Tim I don't think you missed anything. I have thought the same thing many times. I just think the writers made it that way to make the show more interesting. What kind of a show would it be if they just kept sliding everytime they got to a world where there might be some excitement. I just think that it was poor planning on the writers part. (Then again maybe I missed something as well). :) dave

1996-08-04 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (Debra L Schwartz <debra+@andrew.cmu.edu>)


Excerpts from netnews.alt.tv.sliders: 4-Aug-96 Re: Why do the Sliders have.. by David Lacasse@ecsu.campu > Tim wrote: > > > > I know that in the first slide with the others they slid premature and > > that sent them out of control. But since they are out of control > > anyway why not just keep making slides as soon as they discover that > > they are not home?? Why wait for the timer now? They already screwed > > up. > > > > Of course, that that would make for an intersting show. Maybe I just > > missed something and misunderstood it. > > > > Tim > > I don't think you missed anything. I have thought the same thing many > times. I just think the writers made it that way to make the show more > interesting. What kind of a show would it be if they just kept sliding > everytime they got to a world where there might be some excitement. I > just think that it was poor planning on the writers part. (Then again > maybe I missed something as well). :) The way I explained it was that it's like sliding with more people, they can do it, but it's not good. The more they do it the more they mess up the timer. I think keeping the timer in working condition is worth it to them to take risks and try to get themselves out of trouble. Also they're often seperated when they are in danger. I think wewatching the premiere might make it clearer, but I haven't seen it in awhile. Rachel "The higher you soar the smaller you look to those who cannot fly." Surel or Rachel on DALnet http://www.dal.net/ http://www.geocities.com/Athens/3503/

1996-08-05 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (ugkdude61@aol.com)


I think all the posts on this topic have been a little confused.

1996-08-06 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (dpower@inlink.com)


In article <3204B1CB.59EE@ecsu.campus.mci.net>, dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net says... > >Tim wrote: >> >> I know that in the first slide with the others they slid premature and >> that sent them out of control. But since they are out of control >> anyway why not just keep making slides as soon as they discover that >> they are not home?? Why wait for the timer now? They already screwed >> up. >> >> Of course, that that would make for an intersting show. Maybe I just >> missed something and misunderstood it. >> >> Tim > >I don't think you missed anything. I have thought the same thing many >times. I just think the writers made it that way to make the show more >interesting. What kind of a show would it be if they just kept sliding >everytime they got to a world where there might be some excitement. I >just think that it was poor planning on the writers part. (Then again >maybe I missed something as well). :) > >dave Perhaps they no longer have the option of sliding whenever they want. After all the timer has been fried at least once and taken apart a couple of times, Perhaps certain irreplacable circuits are gone.

1996-08-07 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net)


dpower@inlink.com (dpower@inlink.com) wrote: > Perhaps they no longer have the option of sliding whenever they >want. After all the timer has been fried at least once and taken apart a >couple of times, Perhaps certain irreplacable circuits are gone. Well, I could think of a 100 different reasons why it *might* not work but as far as I know, they haven't addressed this in the show. Tim

1996-08-08 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (Lynn <ennui@ix.netcom.com>)


In article <01bb84f2$b097a1a0$3bed1fcc@apjung>, "Andy P. Jung" <apjung@ix.netcom.com> wrote: [snip] >I think this is one of two >episodes where one or two of the sliders missed the wormhole. The other >episode is Quinn having to miss the wormhole at the end of "Gillian And The >Spirits" (but slid out thru the red wormhole instead). >-- >Andy >http://pages.prodigy.com/andyjung/ > [snip] Was it red like the Kromaggs? Lynn =An open mind is the essence of intellect.= = -Garak = = -Deep Space Nine = ===========================================

1996-08-08 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (George Shevchuk <Sun-X@worldnet.att.net>)


I do believe it's got something to do with the fact that it's only a timer! With the Sliding machine, I think they can control WHEN they slide, and ATTEMPT to control WHERE they slide (although they don't know how to use the coordinates). The timer is a portable sliding machine....it can only access the gate when the inter-dimensional forces are weak enough for it to create the wormhole (I think!). Well, that's my theory, anyway.

1996-08-08 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - ("Andy P. Jung" <apjung@ix.netcom.com>)


Check out Ed Hall's Sliders FAQ web site at http://www.brillig.com/sliders/ Go to the section under SUMMER OF LOVE: The Lost Scene. It has a part from the script that was edited out of the broadcast explaining why the timer can't be used anytime. It has to do with opening the gate on the spiderwasp Earth again before it had a chance to recharge. I think this is one of two episodes where one or two of the sliders missed the wormhole. The other episode is Quinn having to miss the wormhole at the end of "Gillian And The Spirits" (but slid out thru the red wormhole instead). -- Andy http://pages.prodigy.com/andyjung/ Tim <TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article <4u1i04$da0@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>... > I know that in the first slide with the others they slid premature and > that sent them out of control. But since they are out of control > anyway why not just keep making slides as soon as they discover that > they are not home?? Why wait for the timer now? They already screwed > up. > > Of course, that that would make for an intersting show. Maybe I just > missed something and misunderstood it. > > Tim > >

1996-08-08 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (dreed@panda.uchc.edu)


dpower@inlink.com (dpower@inlink.com) wrote: >In article <3204B1CB.59EE@ecsu.campus.mci.net>, >dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net says... >> >>Tim wrote: >>> >>> I know that in the first slide with the others they slid premature >and >>> that sent them out of control. But since they are out of control >>> anyway why not just keep making slides as soon as they discover that >>> they are not home?? Why wait for the timer now? They already >screwed >>> up. >>> >>> Of course, that that would make for an intersting show. Maybe I just >>> missed something and misunderstood it. >>> >>> Tim >> >>I don't think you missed anything. I have thought the same thing many >>times. I just think the writers made it that way to make the show more >>interesting. What kind of a show would it be if they just kept sliding >>everytime they got to a world where there might be some excitement. I >>just think that it was poor planning on the writers part. (Then again >>maybe I missed something as well). :) >> >>dave > Perhaps they no longer have the option of sliding whenever they >want. After all the timer has been fried at least once and taken apart a >couple of times, Perhaps certain irreplacable circuits are gone. Check out Ed Brillig's Sliders FAQ at www.brillig.com - Look for the Lost Scene from the Summer of Love Essentially the timer is damaged, and the gateway can only be opened at times when the weakened power of the timer will permit it (presumably when two dimensions are juxtaposed closely to one another?) - Quinn & Arturo rigged the timer to countdown to the time of the next slide. Doug Reed

1996-08-09 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (Our House <7thHeaven@thegrid.net>)


This is to Tim<TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net> and all who want to read this. What I got from the show is that they can slide until there is a window (just like a launch window for the space shuttle). I don't think that they could, when they found out that they are not on their Earth, slide to the next. I seem to rember them saying that if they miss a slide they are stuck on that world. Quinn didn't miss the slide in "Gillian and the Spirites" the wormhole was I beleave struck by lighting and sent him into a limbo (a place between dimentions) and only a Gillian (the waitress) could see him. <7thHeaven@thegrid.net> Andy P. Jung <apjung@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article > I think this is one of two > episodes where one or two of the sliders missed the wormhole. The other > episode is Quinn having to miss the wormhole at the end of "Gillian And The > Spirits" (but slid out thru the red wormhole instead). > -- > Andy > http://pages.prodigy.com/andyjung/ > > Tim <TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article >> But since they are out of control > > anyway why not just keep making slides as soon as they discover that > > they are not home?? Why wait for the timer now? They already screwed > > up. > > Tim

1996-08-10 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net)


Lynn <ennui@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > Uh oh. I think we're talkin' memory, here. I recall that after Tornado >world they thought they were home, but then Quinn's dad was there. I'm >pretty sure that's what set the entire premise of the show. (Or, was Russian >world in there someplace?) Besides, Rembrandt was just in the wrong place >at the wrong time - if they had ever gotten home, he would have left. >I'd like to see the beginning again, too. Last night we had a Giant's game >run over. I didn't see any little ticker tape go accross the screen to tell >me when they would show Sliders, so I missed another one. Grrrrrrrrrr. >Lynn Last night's show was a repeat of the Texas Gunslinging Lawyer's episode. >=An open mind is the essence of intellect.= > = -Garak = > = -Deep Space Nine = > ===========================================

1996-08-10 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net)


"Our House" <7thHeaven@thegrid.net> wrote: >next. I seem to rember them saying that if they miss a slide they are >stuck on that world. That is a good point. That is always a factor on every show. They way I remember things, they slid to the "tornado world" and left early. They ended up *not* being at home. There was an alternate Quinn there, who was also a slider and he said not to slide before the time is up. However they did and now they can't get back home. Aparantly, leaving a world before the time is up send them on an uncontroled course. Now that I have typed that I'm not so sure that I have that right. did they return home the first time? I know Quinn did when he took the short trip by himself, but did the group? I would like to see the first few episode's again now. Someone straighten me out... Tim

1996-08-10 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (Lynn <ennui@ix.netcom.com>)


In article <4uhb11$saj@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>, TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net (Tim) wrote: >"Our House" <7thHeaven@thegrid.net> wrote: > > >>next. I seem to rember them saying that if they miss a slide they are >>stuck on that world. > >That is a good point. That is always a factor on every show. > >They way I remember things, they slid to the "tornado world" and left >early. They ended up *not* being at home. There was an alternate >Quinn there, who was also a slider and he said not to slide before the >time is up. However they did and now they can't get back home. >Aparantly, leaving a world before the time is up send them on an >uncontroled course. > >Now that I have typed that I'm not so sure that I have that right. >did they return home the first time? I know Quinn did when he took >the short trip by himself, but did the group? I would like to see the >first few episode's again now. > >Someone straighten me out... > >Tim > Uh oh. I think we're talkin' memory, here. I recall that after Tornado world they thought they were home, but then Quinn's dad was there. I'm pretty sure that's what set the entire premise of the show. (Or, was Russian world in there someplace?) Besides, Rembrandt was just in the wrong place at the wrong time - if they had ever gotten home, he would have left. I'd like to see the beginning again, too. Last night we had a Giant's game run over. I didn't see any little ticker tape go accross the screen to tell me when they would show Sliders, so I missed another one. Grrrrrrrrrr. Lynn =An open mind is the essence of intellect.= = -Garak = = -Deep Space Nine = ===========================================

1996-08-10 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (Kusader <kusader@aol.com>)


If they miss the wormhole, they're stuck there for something like 29.7 years. After that amount of time, another wormhole can be opened. -- TOP THREE TAGLINES I could do that but I don't wanna. Did anyone see a fat, bald, naked Tibetan man run through here with my tagline? If life gives you lemons, squirt the juice into other people's eyes.

1996-08-10 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net)


Kusader <kusader@aol.com> wrote: >If they miss the wormhole, they're stuck there for something like 29.7 >years. After that amount of time, another wormhole can be opened. What episode was that in?

1996-08-11 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (zikzak23@usa.pipeline.com)


On Aug 10, 1996 06:42:00 in article <Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer?>, 'TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net (Tim)' wrote: >Now that I have typed that I'm not so sure that I have that right. >did they return home the first time? Nope. They ended up in Russian world, and the adventure began. :) I think that illustrated the danger of opening the wormhole early. So did "Summer of Love" in which they tried to escape the spiderwasps, and ended up scattered on Hippie World.

1996-08-11 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (David Lacasse <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net>)


Lynn wrote: > > In article <4uhb11$saj@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>, > TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net (Tim) wrote: > > >"Our House" <7thHeaven@thegrid.net> wrote: > > > > > >>next. I seem to rember them saying that if they miss a slide they are > >>stuck on that world. > > > >That is a good point. That is always a factor on every show. > > > >They way I remember things, they slid to the "tornado world" and left > >early. They ended up *not* being at home. There was an alternate > >Quinn there, who was also a slider and he said not to slide before the > >time is up. However they did and now they can't get back home. > >Aparantly, leaving a world before the time is up send them on an > >uncontroled course. > > > >Now that I have typed that I'm not so sure that I have that right. > >did they return home the first time? I know Quinn did when he took > >the short trip by himself, but did the group? I would like to see the > >first few episode's again now. > > > >Someone straighten me out... > > > >Tim > > > > Uh oh. I think we're talkin' memory, here. I recall that after Tornado > world they thought they were home, but then Quinn's dad was there. I'm > pretty sure that's what set the entire premise of the show. (Or, was Russian > world in there someplace?) Besides, Rembrandt was just in the wrong place > at the wrong time - if they had ever gotten home, he would have left. > > I'd like to see the beginning again, too. Last night we had a Giant's game > run over. I didn't see any little ticker tape go accross the screen to tell > me when they would show Sliders, so I missed another one. Grrrrrrrrrr. > > Lynn > > Well, as I remember it, The first slide is where Quinn went thru and most everything seemed right with the exception of a few small details like red light is go and green was stop and so on...... Just before he slid home he ran into his double and he tried to tell him not to slide until it was time, but he could not hear him because of the wormhole. He slid home and told wade and Arturo about his discovery and showed them. Arturo told him to pump up the power and that is when they dragged Rembrandt into the picture and into tornado world. They had to slide early because of the tornado and ended up in a world where everything seemed right with the exception of Quinn's father being alive. That is when they realized there perdictiment. They slid when it was time and ended up in Russian world. That is how I remember it.. If I am wrong, I am sorry but I think this is right.. dave

1996-08-11 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (Julia <Peter&Julia@wrenlea.demon.co.uk>)


In article <320D7E20.1799@ecsu.campus.mci.net>, David Lacasse <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net> writes >They had to >slide early because of the tornado and ended up in a world where >everything seemed right with the exception of Quinn's father being >alive. That is when they realized there perdictiment. They slid when >it was time and ended up in Russian world. That is how I remember it.. >If I am wrong, I am sorry but I think this is right.. > >dave Dave, You had everything right except this end paragraph. When they slid from Ice World they ended up in Russian world. It was from Russian world that they slid to the world where Quinn's father was alive. Hope this helps. Julia

1996-08-11 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (pfree@excel.net)


In article <Um1L2Ca00iWTM4CcZL@andrew.cmu.edu>, Debra L Schwartz <debra+@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote: >Excerpts from netnews.alt.tv.sliders: 4-Aug-96 Re: Why do the Sliders >have.. by David Lacasse@ecsu.campu >> Tim wrote: >> > >> > I know that in the first slide with the others they slid premature and >> > that sent them out of control. But since they are out of control >> > anyway why not just keep making slides as soon as they discover that >> > they are not home?? Why wait for the timer now? They already screwed >> > up. >> > >> > Of course, that that would make for an intersting show. Maybe I just >> > missed something and misunderstood it. >> > >> > Tim >> >> I don't think you missed anything. I have thought the same thing many >> times. I just think the writers made it that way to make the show more >> interesting. What kind of a show would it be if they just kept sliding >> everytime they got to a world where there might be some excitement. I >> just think that it was poor planning on the writers part. (Then again >> maybe I missed something as well). :) > >The way I explained it was that it's like sliding with more people, they >can do it, but it's not good. The more they do it the more they mess up >the timer. I think keeping the timer in working condition is worth it to >them to take risks and try to get themselves out of trouble. Also >they're often seperated when they are in danger. I think wewatching the >premiere might make it clearer, but I haven't seen it in awhile. > Try visiting the SlidersFAQ website, It explains it better. (There was a section of key dialog left out of "Summer of Dreams" that explains this)

1996-08-12 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (David Lacasse <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net>)


Tim wrote: > > David Lacasse <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net> wrote: > > >Well, as I remember it, The first slide is where Quinn went thru and > >most everything seemed right with the exception of a few small details > >like red light is go and green was stop and so on...... Just before he > >slid home he ran into his double and he tried to tell him not to slide > >until it was time, but he could not hear him because of the wormhole. > >He slid home and told wade and Arturo about his discovery and showed > >them. Arturo told him to pump up the power and that is when they > >dragged Rembrandt into the picture and into tornado world. They had to > >slide early because of the tornado and ended up in a world where > >everything seemed right with the exception of Quinn's father being > >alive. That is when they realized there perdictiment. They slid when > >it was time and ended up in Russian world. That is how I remember it.. > >If I am wrong, I am sorry but I think this is right.. > > >dave > > So Quinn saw his sliding alternate in an alternate world (the first > one). I thought he was only there for 2 or 3 minutes. Hmm... have > to read the FAQ. He was there for quite a bit longer than a few minutes, If you remember, he was able to drive across town and run a red light and a few other things. He actually thought he didn't slide but later realized he was in an alter world and hitailed it back to his house on that world and that is where he ran into his alter Quinn, just before he slid out.

1996-08-12 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (David Lacasse <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net>)


Julia wrote: > > In article <320D7E20.1799@ecsu.campus.mci.net>, David Lacasse > <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net> writes > > >They had to > >slide early because of the tornado and ended up in a world where > >everything seemed right with the exception of Quinn's father being > >alive. That is when they realized there perdictiment. They slid when > >it was time and ended up in Russian world. That is how I remember it.. > >If I am wrong, I am sorry but I think this is right.. > > > >dave > > Dave, > > You had everything right except this end paragraph. When they slid from > Ice World they ended up in Russian world. It was from Russian world > that they slid to the world where Quinn's father was alive. > > Hope this helps. > > Julia Oh, it helps, thanks. Now that you mention it I remember the scene where Rembrant gets in a cab headed for the stadium to sing the anthem and gets arrested for trying to pass a dollar bill off and is thought to be in the underground. After that he didn't take for granted he was in the right world. You are right, thanks for the clearification. dave

1996-08-12 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (Shocker <shocker@webspan.net>)


Don't know why. But timer apparantly doesn't use much energy to opnen wormhole (or it just runs on the Energizer batteries). Anyway it keeps going and going and oh ... never mind... When will we see another new episode?

1996-08-12 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net)


David Lacasse <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net> wrote: >Well, as I remember it, The first slide is where Quinn went thru and >most everything seemed right with the exception of a few small details >like red light is go and green was stop and so on...... Just before he >slid home he ran into his double and he tried to tell him not to slide >until it was time, but he could not hear him because of the wormhole. >He slid home and told wade and Arturo about his discovery and showed >them. Arturo told him to pump up the power and that is when they >dragged Rembrandt into the picture and into tornado world. They had to >slide early because of the tornado and ended up in a world where >everything seemed right with the exception of Quinn's father being >alive. That is when they realized there perdictiment. They slid when >it was time and ended up in Russian world. That is how I remember it.. >If I am wrong, I am sorry but I think this is right.. >dave So Quinn saw his sliding alternate in an alternate world (the first one). I thought he was only there for 2 or 3 minutes. Hmm... have to read the FAQ.

1996-08-17 00:00:00 - Re: Why do the Sliders have to wait for the timer? - (mcgillj@icok.net)


Quinn firast crossed into a wordld, red meant go etc.. His double came thru fouled stuff up.. then he invited Arturo and Wade to see it.. they increased the power, WAY too much, joking about Arturo's girth.. then they, with Rembrandt slide into tornado?? (thought it was ice) any way.. they slide early and end up in Russia.. Hence the adventures there.. leaving and return, to what looks like a happy home they are drinking wine.. and at the end they are toasting and the dad comes in.. Quinn drops the glass and it breaks.. In article <320D7E20.1799@ecsu.campus.mci.net>, David Lacasse <dlacasse@ecsu.campus.mci.net> wrote: >Lynn wrote: >> >> In article <4uhb11$saj@mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>, >> TimJMiller@worldnet.att.net (Tim) wrote: >> >> >"Our House" <7thHeaven@thegrid.net> wrote: >> > >> > >> >>next. I seem to rember them saying that if they miss a slide they are >> >>stuck on that world. >> > >> >That is a good point. That is always a factor on every show. >> > >> >They way I remember things, they slid to the "tornado world" and left >> >early. They ended up *not* being at home. There was an alternate >> >Quinn there, who was also a slider and he said not to slide before the >> >time is up. However they did and now they can't get back home. >> >Aparantly, leaving a world before the time is up send them on an >> >uncontroled course. >> > >> >Now that I have typed that I'm not so sure that I have that right. >> >did they return home the first time? I know Quinn did when he took >> >the short trip by himself, but did the group? I would like to see the >> >first few episode's again now. >> > >> >Someone straighten me out... >> > >> >Tim >> > >> >> Uh oh. I think we're talkin' memory, here. I recall that after Tornado >> world they thought they were home, but then Quinn's dad was there. I'm >> pretty sure that's what set the entire premise of the show. (Or, was Russian >> world in there someplace?) Besides, Rembrandt was just in the wrong place >> at the wrong time - if they had ever gotten home, he would have left. >> >> I'd like to see the beginning again, too. Last night we had a Giant's game >> run over. I didn't see any little ticker tape go accross the screen to tell >> me when they would show Sliders, so I missed another one. Grrrrrrrrrr. >> >> Lynn >> >> > >Well, as I remember it, The first slide is where Quinn went thru and >most everything seemed right with the exception of a few small details >like red light is go and green was stop and so on...... Just before he >slid home he ran into his double and he tried to tell him not to slide >until it was time, but he could not hear him because of the wormhole. >He slid home and told wade and Arturo about his discovery and showed >them. Arturo told him to pump up the power and that is when they >dragged Rembrandt into the picture and into tornado world. They had to >slide early because of the tornado and ended up in a world where >everything seemed right with the exception of Quinn's father being >alive. That is when they realized there perdictiment. They slid when >it was time and ended up in Russian world. That is how I remember it.. >If I am wrong, I am sorry but I think this is right.. > >dave