FLM films - My Webpage

1996-05-21 00:00:00 - 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (Jim Harris <jharris@raven.cybercomm.net>)


My source has asked me not to reveal who they are; however, for all interested parties, 'Sliders' will be filming in Los Angeles for the third season. You of course have the right to doubt the authenticity of this report. However, if you are in LA, I'd keep my eyes open too. =) Mike

1996-05-22 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (am856@yfn.ysu.edu)


Filming in LA doesn't mean the show's stories will necessarily be situated there. In what episode did a show take place in Vancover? --

1996-05-22 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (teresajf@atcon.com)


am856@yfn.ysu.edu (Michael DeCosta III) wrote: >Filming in LA doesn't mean the show's stories will necessarily be situated >there. >In what episode did a show take place in Vancover? >-- Good point. Terri

1996-05-22 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (teresajf@atcon.com)


Jim Harris <jharris@raven.cybercomm.net> wrote: > My source has asked me not to reveal who they are; > however, for all interested parties, 'Sliders' will be > filming in Los Angeles for the third season. > You of course have the right to doubt the authenticity > of this report. However, if you are in LA, I'd keep my > eyes open too. =) > Mike How are they going to slide from San Francisco to LA? I thought they slid to the exact same position in each alternate universe. Terri

1996-05-22 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (mdfst12+@pitt.edu)


In article <4ntlqh$3um@thor.atcon.com>, terri forbrigger <teresajf@atcon.com> wrote: >How are they going to slide from San Francisco to LA? I thought they >slid to the exact same position in each alternate universe. Just because they film there doesn't mean that's where it takes place. After all, the past two seasons they filmed in Vancouver, and it still took place in San Fran. Just wondering though, why are they doing this? I thought the reason they filmed in Canada was because it was cheaper. Does anybody have any news as to why? - Mike, 20 minutes into the future. -- Michael Friedman | "If you're going to yell at me everytime I do mdfst12+@pitt.edu | something stupid, then I'll just have to stop hrivnak@havoc.gtf.gatech.edu | doing stupid things." - Homer Simpson. THE T:INI HOMEPAGE IS AT: http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/hrivnak/tini.html

1996-05-23 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (wsodeman@pobox.com)


All the episodes are filmed in or around Vancouver... lots of other shows do this, especally on Fox. Apparently Vancouver has a nice mix of scenery and is a relatively cheap place to shoot, especially when compared to SF. The Doctor Who movie was also shot in Vancouver. On 22 May 1996 17:37:35 GMT, am856@yfn.ysu.edu (Michael DeCosta III) wrote: > >Filming in LA doesn't mean the show's stories will necessarily be situated >there. > >In what episode did a show take place in Vancover? ================================================================== William A. Sodeman Email: wsodeman@pobox.com Dept of Management Office/voice mail: 812-464-1806 University of Southern Indiana Fax: 812-464-1960 Evansville, IN 47712-3597 USA "My opinions are my own." "All the cool stuff came before computers." Clifford Stoll ================== http://pobox.com/~wsodeman ====================

1996-05-23 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (thirteen@fred.net)


In article <4ntlqh$3um@thor.atcon.com>, teresajf@atcon.com wrote: : Jim Harris <jharris@raven.cybercomm.net: wrote: : : : My source has asked me not to reveal who they are; : : however, for all interested parties, 'Sliders' will be : : filming in Los Angeles for the third season. : : : You of course have the right to doubt the authenticity : : of this report. However, if you are in LA, I'd keep my : : eyes open too. =) : : : Mike : : How are they going to slide from San Francisco to LA? I thought they : slid to the exact same position in each alternate universe. : : Terri I took what Jim posted to mean that production on SLIDERS will shift from Vancouver to Los Angeles next season. I'd love to know why they did that, if they did it. -- Stop by and set a spell at http://www.fred.net/thirteen/

1996-05-23 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (Jim Harris <jharris@raven.cybercomm.net>)


On Thu, 23 May 1996, William A. Sodeman wrote: > All the episodes are filmed in or around Vancouver... lots of other Actually, my source states that they'll be filming in LA for the third season. Since I won't name this person, you can always disagree with or not believe me, but that's what I heard. Mike

1996-05-23 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (Joe_McGinn@mindlink.bc.ca)


am856@yfn.ysu.edu (Michael DeCosta III) wrote: >Filming in LA doesn't mean the show's stories will necessarily be situated >there. >In what episode did a show take place in Vancover? Vancouver is similar enough to San Fran (physically) that they could pull it off. I don't see how you can possibly film LA as being anywhere *but* LA - it's too distinctive. Joe

1996-05-23 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (Joe_McGinn@mindlink.bc.ca)


mdfst12+@pitt.edu (Michael D Friedman) wrote: >In article <4ntlqh$3um@thor.atcon.com>, >terri forbrigger <teresajf@atcon.com> wrote: >>How are they going to slide from San Francisco to LA? I thought they >>slid to the exact same position in each alternate universe. >Just because they film there doesn't mean that's where it takes place. >After all, the past two seasons they filmed in Vancouver, and it still >took place in San Fran. But Vancouver makes a credible SanFran clone (physically speaking). LA certainly does not - there's no way you can film a show in LA and pretend it's anywhere else. >Just wondering though, why are they doing this? I thought the reason they >filmed in Canada was because it was cheaper. Does anybody have any news >as to why? I'm curious about this as well. Joe

1996-05-23 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (franofla@aol.com)


Re your curiosity about why SLIDERS is no longer going to be filmed in Canada, the producers decided to shoot in Los Angeles because 1. it's more convenient for them, the writers, the crew and the actors to be in the same city, and 2. because it wasn't that cost effective shooting in Vancouver due to the enormous overhead of housing, per diem, airline costs etc., in addition to the necessity of employing several Canadian producers. As far as how can the L.A. area look like San Francisco, just like last year and the year before, SLIDERS exteriors and certain scenes will be shot in SF from time to time. And, L.A. can look like any city if you're in the right section. We have Victorian neighborhoods, woodsy Bel Air, sad skid row, snow-capped mountains, beaches, Hollywood Hills, Oxnard, South Central, Venice and every kind of ethnic neighborhood imaginable... The cast and crew of SLIDERS is very happy to be filming here this year!

1996-05-23 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (Sam Deth <samdeth@neworld.net>)


Jim Harris wrote: > > My source has asked me not to reveal who they are; > however, for all interested parties, 'Sliders' will be > filming in Los Angeles for the third season. Sure, why not LA? The show only takes place in San Francisco, so you'd certainly want to be careful to never actually film any of it there.

1996-05-24 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (ct064@FreeNet.Carleton.CA)


Douglas E. Berry (dberry@hooked.net) writes: > LA. > > LA? > > LA!!!!! > > What is the deal here?? Doesn't anyone believe that San Francisco is a real > place? Have I been in some weird 30-year dream sequence where there is a > large city on the southern side of the Golden Gate? > > Come on! It's not like we've never had a film crew here before... "Dirty > Harry", "Star Trek IV", "The Rock", "Metro"... hell the "Metro" crew painted > an entire set of *fake* cable car tracks all the way down Jones St.. as if we > didn't have enough cable car tracks already. > > We even put up with "Nash Bridges". > > What will it take? How do we convince the producers that SF exists? If they > like, I will personnaly track down a house in Twin Peaks (the area that > Quinn's home *seems* to be in, judging from the premiere) that has a front > yard. These are rarer than right wing Republicans around here. > > At least come and look at the City once in a while... Most shots of "San > Francisco" look more like Daly City or San Mateo. Or Vancouver???????? > > > # ------------------------------------------------- # > # Douglas E. Berry dberry@hooked.net # > # Writer, Professional Driver, Traveller Guru # > # # > # "To treat your facts with imagination is one # > # thing. But to imagine your facts is another." # > # -John Burroughs # > # ------------------------------------------------- # -- Pay attention to the important things in life - Always remember the child.

1996-05-24 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (dberry@hooked.net)


LA. LA? LA!!!!! What is the deal here?? Doesn't anyone believe that San Francisco is a real place? Have I been in some weird 30-year dream sequence where there is a large city on the southern side of the Golden Gate? Come on! It's not like we've never had a film crew here before... "Dirty Harry", "Star Trek IV", "The Rock", "Metro"... hell the "Metro" crew painted an entire set of *fake* cable car tracks all the way down Jones St.. as if we didn't have enough cable car tracks already. We even put up with "Nash Bridges". What will it take? How do we convince the producers that SF exists? If they like, I will personnaly track down a house in Twin Peaks (the area that Quinn's home *seems* to be in, judging from the premiere) that has a front yard. These are rarer than right wing Republicans around here. At least come and look at the City once in a while... Most shots of "San Francisco" look more like Daly City or San Mateo. # ------------------------------------------------- # # Douglas E. Berry dberry@hooked.net # # Writer, Professional Driver, Traveller Guru # # # # "To treat your facts with imagination is one # # thing. But to imagine your facts is another." # # -John Burroughs # # ------------------------------------------------- #

1996-05-25 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (dgbohm@nyx10.cs.du.edu)


Star Trek IV was not completely shot in San Francisco. The scenes where the Vulcan ship land in the park were done in San Clemente State Park and the supposed "USS Enterprise" scenes were shot on board the USS Ranger in San Diego. This was during the first week of shooting. I I get your point, but don't lump TV shows and movies together. There totally different animals. Also, that made-for-TV movie of Dr. Who was shot in Vancouver as well. Everyone seems to like SF, but noone wants to film there. The reason is because of taxes and fees. You should complain to your local film and television board. They could put some pressure on local government to stop the taxing. If people voice there opinions on this matter it scares the politicians. They want to get re-elected. Douglas

1996-05-26 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (thirteen@fred.net)


In article <4o36js$of9@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, franofla@aol.com (Fran of LA) wrote: > Re your curiosity about why SLIDERS is no longer going to be filmed in > Canada, the producers decided to shoot in Los Angeles because... Nice to see you here, Fran. At least we won't be seeing as much snow in San Francisco as we usually do! -- Stop by and set a spell at http://www.fred.net/thirteen/

1996-05-26 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (jjung@netcom.com)


In article <4nv9ro$p7f@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu> mdfst12+@pitt.edu (Michael D Friedman) writes: :Just wondering though, why are they doing this? I thought the reason they :filmed in Canada was because it was cheaper. Does anybody have any news :as to why? Just taking a stab in the dark, here are some reasons that filiming in L.A. might be cheaper than in Canada: * They can use the local Fox facilities (located near Westwood) for various things (studios, standards and practices, etc.). * L.A., being the home of Hollywood, is probably one of the few places that most of the cast and crew already frequent. There's also a good possibility that some of said crew already live in/around L.A. * It's a helluva lot cheaper to fly/drive from L.A. to San Francisco for external shots, than Canada to San Fran. (Southwest, for example can do a round-trip between L.A. and S.F. for ~$150.) * You can get a wide diversity of locational shots within reasonable driving distance of L.A. (beach, mountains, forest, desert, and the city). Just a couple of guesses. John John Jung (jjung@netcom.com) \ "You can have anything you / Friends should Systems Administrator and / want and you ask for my \ be preferred to Co-Author of Special Edition, \ telephone number?" "Yes." / kings. Using HTML, Second Edition / -- Sneakers \ -- Voltaire

1996-05-27 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (geo@victoria.pe.net)


Joe (Joe_McGinn@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote: : mdfst12+@pitt.edu (Michael D Friedman) wrote: : >In article <4ntlqh$3um@thor.atcon.com>, : >terri forbrigger <teresajf@atcon.com> wrote: : >>How are they going to slide from San Francisco to LA? I thought they : >>slid to the exact same position in each alternate universe. : >Just because they film there doesn't mean that's where it takes place. : >After all, the past two seasons they filmed in Vancouver, and it still : >took place in San Fran. : But Vancouver makes a credible SanFran clone (physically speaking). LA : certainly does not - there's no way you can film a show in LA and : pretend it's anywhere else. That's true. I remember seeing late on night on some cable channel, some bad movie starring Jay Leno and Pat Morita, set in Detroit. When I saw Leno drive by a palm tree, I almost fell off the couch. Then again, if they are shooting Sliders on a studio lot in LA, and not in the city itself, they might be able to do a good job. Geo

1996-05-27 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (tristis victoria <silver@dazed.nol.net>)


On 27 May 1996, Geoffrey Scott wrote: > Joe (Joe_McGinn@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote: > : mdfst12+@pitt.edu (Michael D Friedman) wrote: > > : >In article <4ntlqh$3um@thor.atcon.com>, > : >terri forbrigger <teresajf@atcon.com> wrote: > : >>How are they going to slide from San Francisco to LA? I thought they > : >>slid to the exact same position in each alternate universe. > > : >Just because they film there doesn't mean that's where it takes place. > : >After all, the past two seasons they filmed in Vancouver, and it still > : >took place in San Fran. > > : But Vancouver makes a credible SanFran clone (physically speaking). LA > : certainly does not - there's no way you can film a show in LA and > : pretend it's anywhere else. > > That's true. I remember seeing late on night on some cable channel, some > bad movie starring Jay Leno and Pat Morita, set in Detroit. When I saw > Leno drive by a palm tree, I almost fell off the couch. Then again, if > they are shooting Sliders on a studio lot in LA, and not in the city > itself, they might be able to do a good job. > > Geo You can find just about any landscape in LA (or the surrounding areas), but you can't really get the building types down.. Vancouver KINDA had it going on with the buildings.. It's probably unlikely (unless the show becomes REALLY popular and there's no doubt about a fourth season.. sheah, I wish), but it would be pretty cool to have them do it in SF.. I mean, have we even seen one cable car in the show yet? -sil-

1996-05-27 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (Joe_McGinn@mindlink.bc.ca)


geo@victoria.pe.net (Geoffrey Scott) wrote: >That's true. I remember seeing late on night on some cable channel, some >bad movie starring Jay Leno and Pat Morita, set in Detroit. When I saw >Leno drive by a palm tree, I almost fell off the couch. Then again, if >they are shooting Sliders on a studio lot in LA, and not in the city >itself, they might be able to do a good job. Yes, but it seems a lot of Sliders is filmed outdoors. We'll see how it looks next year I guess - I'm still just pretty happy that the series has been renewed. Joe

1996-05-27 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (brinkman@onyx.southwind.net)


There might be a plot reason to move to LA --- Perhaps one arrival in SF proved to be too "inhospitable" and the escape to LA and leap from there. Nothing says they have to be in SF, although it might be easier to prove they are home from there...

1996-05-28 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (Fred B Young Jr <young@bcf.usc.edu>)


geo@victoria.pe.net (Geoffrey Scott) wrote: >Joe (Joe_McGinn@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote: >: mdfst12+@pitt.edu (Michael D Friedman) wrote: > >: >In article <4ntlqh$3um@thor.atcon.com>, >: >terri forbrigger <teresajf@atcon.com> wrote: >: >>How are they going to slide from San Francisco to LA? I thought they >: >>slid to the exact same position in each alternate universe. > >: >Just because they film there doesn't mean that's where it takes place. >: >After all, the past two seasons they filmed in Vancouver, and it still >: >took place in San Fran. > >: But Vancouver makes a credible SanFran clone (physically speaking). LA >: certainly does not - there's no way you can film a show in LA and >: pretend it's anywhere else. > >That's true. I remember seeing late on night on some cable channel, some >bad movie starring Jay Leno and Pat Morita, set in Detroit. When I saw >Leno drive by a palm tree, I almost fell off the couch. Then again, if >they are shooting Sliders on a studio lot in LA, and not in the city >itself, they might be able to do a good job. > I think "Sliders" is produced by Universal, if so they'll have access to one of the most extensive back lot sets in the world. If anyone can pull it off, they can. Now as far as filming on the streets...I've lived in L. A. for almost 20 years, and I have made several visits to San Francisco (in fact I'm going again next month) :), and I can say categorically that there is NOTHING that looks the same in those two cities. (Let's hope the producers don't try to pass off the Metro Red Line as BART) :) Fred B. Young Jr. USC-University of Southern California young@bcf.usc.edu

1996-05-28 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (Geoffrey_Glave@mindlink.bc.ca)


In article <4ofnbd$k4a@usc.edu> Fred B Young Jr <young@bcf.usc.edu> writes: >From: Fred B Young Jr <young@bcf.usc.edu> >Subject: Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA >Date: 28 May 1996 20:23:09 GMT >geo@victoria.pe.net (Geoffrey Scott) wrote: >>Joe (Joe_McGinn@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote: >>: mdfst12+@pitt.edu (Michael D Friedman) wrote: >> >>: >In article <4ntlqh$3um@thor.atcon.com>, >>: >terri forbrigger <teresajf@atcon.com> wrote: >>: >>How are they going to slide from San Francisco to LA? I thought they >>: >>slid to the exact same position in each alternate universe. >> >>: >Just because they film there doesn't mean that's where it takes place. >>: >After all, the past two seasons they filmed in Vancouver, and it still >>: >took place in San Fran. >> >>: But Vancouver makes a credible SanFran clone (physically speaking). LA >>: certainly does not - there's no way you can film a show in LA and >>: pretend it's anywhere else. >> >>That's true. I remember seeing late on night on some cable channel, some >>bad movie starring Jay Leno and Pat Morita, set in Detroit. When I saw >>Leno drive by a palm tree, I almost fell off the couch. Then again, if >>they are shooting Sliders on a studio lot in LA, and not in the city >>itself, they might be able to do a good job. >> >I think "Sliders" is produced by Universal, if so they'll have access to one of the most extensive >back lot sets in the world. If anyone can pull it off, they can. Now as far as filming on the >streets...I've lived in L. A. for almost 20 years, and I have made several visits to San Francisco >(in fact I'm going again next month) :), and I can say categorically that there is NOTHING that looks >the same in those two cities. (Let's hope the producers don't try to pass off the Metro Red >Line as BART) :) As a Vancouver resident I heartily oppose moving Sliders... However I don't think they try too hard to make it look like San Fran. Last week's episode (the oracle) showed snow on the ground (filmed at a local university which is up on a mountain). How likely is snow in San Fran? Geoff

1996-05-29 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (grubenst@wco.com)


ndlink.bc.ca> Organization: West Coast Online, Inc. Distribution: : As a Vancouver resident I heartily oppose moving Sliders... : : However I don't think they try too hard to make it look like San Fran. Last : week's episode (the oracle) showed snow on the ground (filmed at a local : university which is up on a mountain). : : How likely is snow in San Fran? <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<, : : Geoff : : Anything is possible in a parallel universe : )

1996-05-29 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (dfraser@direct.ca)


In article <jjungDrzzGz.Jx1@netcom.com>, jjung@netcom.com (John Jung) says: > >In article <4nv9ro$p7f@usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu> mdfst12+@pitt.edu (Michael D Friedman) writes: >:Just wondering though, why are they doing this? I thought the reason they >:filmed in Canada was because it was cheaper. Does anybody have any news >:as to why? > > Just taking a stab in the dark, here are some reasons that filiming in >L.A. might be cheaper than in Canada: > > * They can use the local Fox facilities (located near Westwood) for > various things (studios, standards and practices, etc.). > * L.A., being the home of Hollywood, is probably one of the few places > that most of the cast and crew already frequent. There's also a > good possibility that some of said crew already live in/around L.A. > * It's a helluva lot cheaper to fly/drive from L.A. to San Francisco > for external shots, than Canada to San Fran. (Southwest, for example > can do a round-trip between L.A. and S.F. for ~$150.) > * You can get a wide diversity of locational shots within reasonable > driving distance of L.A. (beach, mountains, forest, desert, and the > city). > > However, the unions charge a helluva lot less in Vancouver, the city does not rip off producers for police services (a least not as badly), the locals don't rip off producers for the use of the outside of their homes, etc. Also, one guy with a camera can shoot all the SF backdrop scenes you need in a season in a single weekend. The only reason I can see for going to LA is that Vancouver has taken so much business from LA that we're running out of studio space and skilled workers. LA must finally be seeing the forest for the trees and cutting its prices.

1996-05-29 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (am856@yfn.ysu.edu)


... >How likely is snow in San Fran? > >Geoff > > > More likely than an asteriod hitting it? About as likely as a tidal wave flooding it? More likely than tropical paradise weather? --

1996-05-30 00:00:00 - Re: 'Sliders' to Film in LA - (dberry@hooked.net)


In article <4o2goi$oni@fountain.mindlink.net>, Joe_McGinn@mindlink.bc.ca (Joe) wrote: >am856@yfn.ysu.edu (Michael DeCosta III) wrote: >>Filming in LA doesn't mean the show's stories will necessarily be situated >>there. > >>In what episode did a show take place in Vancover? > >Vancouver is similar enough to San Fran (physically) that they could >pull it off. I don't see how you can possibly film LA as being >anywhere *but* LA - it's too distinctive. Ha! Vancouver has failed completely in its attempt to play Bagdhad by the Bay! Examples: No hills. No cable cars. No Coit Tower. No Sutro Tower (this thing can be seen from *everywhere* in the city). Very few places in SF have front yards. I could go on. You want to see San Francisco? "The Rock", with Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery (drool) opens in a week or two. See it, and tell me that Vancouver looks anything like The City. The justification for filming in Canada has always been cost. If they are moving back to the US, why not film in the city where the story is set? We'll even keep the fake cable car tracks down Jones street for an episode.. (the crew on Eddie Murphy's new movie "Metro" painted a very realistic looking set of cable car tracks down one street for a stunt sequence. They are so good, we've seen tourists waiting for the next cable car there...) I know that I've become something of a nut on this, but it bugs me to see my home town innacurately portrayed week after week. # ------------------------------------------------- # # Douglas E. Berry dberry@hooked.net # # Writer, Professional Driver, Traveller Guru # # # # "To treat your facts with imagination is one # # thing. But to imagine your facts is another." # # -John Burroughs # # ------------------------------------------------- #