FLM films - My Webpage

2000-04-03 00:00:00 - Re: Warning! But NOT an April Fools joke! - (Robrey <robrey@mailbag.com>)

Velian wrote: > > moron > You know, my dear Velian, when you grow up you'll find out some people know more than you, and not all are trying to trying to make you look stupid. This ones for real, here's that organization at the FBI website: http://sun00781.dn.net/irp/agency/doj/fbi/nipc/ However, in the future perhaps I'll just let you continue to make an ass of yourself...you're entertaining, in a pathetic sort of way... Cordially, Robrey ...You realize, that means you belong to me, now... <EG> -- "It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat" --Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

2000-04-03 00:00:00 - Warning! But NOT an April Fools joke! - (Robrey <robrey@mailbag.com>)

At 8:00 am on Saturday, April 1 (This is not an April Fool's joke!) the FBI announced it had discovered malicious code wiping out the data on hard drives and dialing 911. This is a vicious virus and needs to be stopped quickly. That can only be done through wide-scale individual action. Please forward this note to everyone who you know who might be affected. The FBI Advisory is posted at http://www.nipc.gov/nipc/advis00-038.htm The 911 virus is the first "Windows shares virus." Unlike recent viruses that propagate though eMail, the 911 virus silently jumps directly from machine to machine across the Internet by scanning for, and exploiting, open Windows shares. After successfully reproducing itself in other Internet-connected machines (to assure its continued survival) it uses the machine's modem to dial 911 and erases the local machine's hard drive. The virus is operational; victims are already reporting wiped-out hard drives. The virus was launched through AOL, AT&T, MCI, and NetZero in the Houston area. The investigation points to relatively limited distribution so far, but there are no walls in the Internet. ----------------- Action 1: Defense ----------------- Verify that your system and those of all your coworkers, friends, and associates are not vulnerable by verifying that file sharing is turned off. * On a Windows 95/98 system, system-wide file sharing is managed by selecting My Computer, Control Panel, Networks, and clicking on the File and Print Sharing button. For folder-by-folder controls, you can use Windows Explorer (Start, Programs, Windows Explorer) and highlight a primary folder such as My Documents and then right mouse click and select properties. There you will find a tab for sharing. * On a Windows NT, check Control Panel, Server, Shares. For an excellent way to instantly check system vulnerability, and for detailed assistance in managing Windows file sharing, see: Shields Up! A free service from Gibson Research (http://grc.com/) ------------------- Action 2: Forensics ------------------- If you find that you did have file sharing turned on, search your hard drive for hidden directories named "chode", "foreskin", or "dickhair" (we apologize for the indiscretion - but those are the real directory names). These are HIDDEN directories, so you must configure the Find command to show hidden directories. Under the Windows Explorer menu choose View/Options: "Show All Files". If you find those directories: remove them. And, if you find them, and want help from law enforcement, call the FBI National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) Watch Office at 202-323-3204/3205/3206. The FBI/NIPC has done an extraordinary job of getting data out early on this virus and deserves both kudos and cooperation. I got this from a reputable source. It's not a April Fools joke...or at least one of mine. However it DOES seem likely it might be the sort of April Fools joke a net terrorist might make.... Cordially, Robrey -- "It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat" --Theodore Roosevelt, 1899

2000-04-04 00:00:00 - Re: Warning! But NOT an April Fools joke! - (Zabana Brandon <zabana@collegetoday.com>)

Velian wrote: > moron What? That's it? Just "moron?" Wow ... and there I thought we were managing to get more words n stuff out of the newest peeps around here. I must've been sadly mistaken. Dork.

2000-04-04 00:00:00 - Re: Warning! But NOT an April Fools joke! - (EvilBill <SPAM-SUCKS@I-RULE-THE-UNIVERSE.com>)

"Velian" <dolgan@spamsucks.home.com> wrote in message news:g_bG4.127124 > moron > Troll. *SPLONK* -- Hugh: "Resistance is... NOT futile." EvilBill's home page: http://members.xoom.com/EvilBill/ E-mail: evilbill@nutter.swinternet.co.uk. ICQ number: 37464244 Get paid to surf the web: http://www.alladvantage.com/join.asp?refid=dtd-950

2000-04-04 00:00:00 - Re: Warning! But NOT an April Fools joke! - (Velian <dolgan@spamsucks.home.com>)

moron "Robrey" <robrey@mailbag.com> wrote in message news:38E8E937.F8BE1E9D@mailbag.com... > At 8:00 am on Saturday, April 1 (This is not an April Fool's joke!) > the FBI announced it had discovered malicious code wiping out the data > on > hard drives and dialing 911. This is a vicious virus and needs to > be stopped quickly. That can only be done through wide-scale > individual action. Please forward this note to everyone who you > know who might be affected. > > The FBI Advisory is posted at http://www.nipc.gov/nipc/advis00-038.htm > > The 911 virus is the first "Windows shares virus." Unlike recent > viruses that propagate though eMail, the 911 virus silently jumps > directly from machine to machine across the Internet by scanning > for, and exploiting, open Windows shares. After successfully > reproducing itself in other Internet-connected machines > (to assure its continued survival) it uses the machine's modem to > dial 911 and erases the local machine's hard drive. The virus is > operational; victims are already reporting wiped-out hard drives. > The virus was launched through AOL, AT&T, MCI, and NetZero in the > Houston area. The investigation points to relatively limited > distribution so far, but there are no walls in the Internet. > > ----------------- > Action 1: Defense > ----------------- > > Verify that your system and those of all your coworkers, friends, and > associates are not vulnerable by verifying that file sharing is > turned off. > > * On a Windows 95/98 system, system-wide file sharing is managed by > selecting My Computer, Control Panel, Networks, and clicking on the > File and Print Sharing button. For folder-by-folder controls, you > can use Windows Explorer (Start, Programs, Windows Explorer) and > highlight a primary folder such as My Documents and then right mouse > click and select properties. There you will find a tab for sharing. > > * On a Windows NT, check Control Panel, Server, Shares. > > For an excellent way to instantly check system vulnerability, and for > detailed assistance in managing Windows file sharing, see: Shields > Up! A free service from Gibson Research (http://grc.com/) > > ------------------- > Action 2: Forensics > ------------------- > > If you find that you did have file sharing turned on, search your > hard drive for hidden directories named "chode", "foreskin", or > "dickhair" (we apologize for the indiscretion - but those are the > real directory names). These are HIDDEN directories, so you must > configure the Find command to show hidden directories. Under the > Windows Explorer menu choose View/Options: "Show All Files". > > If you find those directories: remove them. > > And, if you find them, and want help from law enforcement, call the > FBI National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) Watch Office > at 202-323-3204/3205/3206. The FBI/NIPC has done an extraordinary > job of getting data out early on this virus and deserves both kudos > and cooperation. > > I got this from a reputable source. It's not a April Fools joke...or > at least one of mine. However it DOES seem likely it might be the sort > of April Fools joke a net terrorist might make.... > > Cordially, > Robrey > > -- > > "It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out > how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done > them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the > arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives > valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the > great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy > cause; and who, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so > that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know > neither victory nor defeat" > > --Theodore Roosevelt, 1899