FLM films - My Webpage

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - ("lurker@home" <bluesbird@crosswinds.net>)

Brian Barjenbruch wrote in message <280220001319393919%brianb1@home.com>... >> >You should hear us in the Days of our lives ng. >> >> ATSTV people posting to Days Of Our Lives NG??? The gorge rises at it. >> >> Maybe they're holdovers from DS9........ >> >> [..........Lurker runs for his >> life...................] > >Well, a good portion of Trek actors have done various soaps, after >all... > As opposed to some recently encountered groups, who NEED a little soap............

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Lever <Lever_member@newsguy.com>)

In article <20000228131008.01608.00000536@ng-bg1.aol.com>, evilklowwn@aol.comedy says... > >Student Ruca doth write thus: > >>i'm new to this group and subscribed 'cause i'm a big fan of voyager...after >>what i read here i wonder if there is just one FAN in here!! all i read till >>now was just complaining about the show... >>well, i hope there are people here who like Voyager as much as i do!!! > >Aside from the occasional troll, most people here also subscribed because we're >fans..... but TPTB's insults against our intelligence have reached the point >where I can't believe they aren't aware of it. It usually depends on who is doing the writing, I think. BTW, do you think that the inclusion of the Borg Children was their response to the popularity of "Drone"? >I like Vger, and watch each ep at least once..... but after that first viewing, >I often don't bother catching them again in reruns. I remember when I loved >Trek, when it was my favorite TV show, and I'd like Trek to arise from the >ashes and be a great, meaningful and engaging show again. I've just lost hope >that the current producers can, or even *want* to, do this. "Memorial" and "Survival Instinct" are excellent examples that TPTB are at least trying to do well. The problem is that they can't seem to distinguish what works from what doesn't. If this is the case, then I'd much prefer TPTB's lack of direction over choosing the wrong direction. Can you imagine if their idea of story arc continuity was to base the show's storyline entirely around Fair Haven?

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Bexar <jazz@hilconet.com>)

Michael Robinson <robins80@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message news:38BAA0AE.744EB39A@pilot.msu.edu... > STUDENT_RUCA wrote: > > > > hi all > > > > i'm new to this group and subscribed 'cause i'm a big fan of voyager...after > > what i read here i wonder if there is just one FAN in here!! all i read till > > now was just complaining about the show... > > well, i hope there are people here who like Voyager as much as i do!!! > > > > kayjay > > Welcome! The complaining is because The Powers That Be are pretty much > taking the joy out of the show with their rejection of continuity, > liberal use of the reset button when things get too complex for their > tiny little 8 bit brains and inability to create good relationships > between the members of the crew. There are good episodes out there > ("Memorial" springs to my mind) but there are quite a few wastes of > celluloid too. > > * Robinson (who taped "Spirit Folk" but will not watch it until the > carpet needs a good cleaning as reviews say it sucks that hard.) > > -- > "An illogical peripheral with a 17 byte brain." > -- some robot, "Dangermouse" Here is a example of TPTB "rejection of continuity" I found at TrekWeb.com. They have part of a interview with Joe Menoksy in which It says. "About the fan criticism of Voyager's lack of continuity, Menosky told Cinefantastique "[...] We're not willing to be that rigid about continuity. It's not that we don't know these things. It's just that we choose to ignore them when it suits our purposes. We know what we are doing when we dismiss continuity. You can't accuse us of ignorance. We can be accused of arrogance, but that's about as far as it goes." If you want to see the rest of what he had to say go to this page http://db.trekweb.com/stories/2000/02/27/951696508.html But I have to warn you there is spoiler information about upcoming episodes on the top of the page. Bexar

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Laura Ware <laware@strato.net>)

STUDENT_RUCA <student@zorro.ruca.ua.ac.be> wrote in message news:38ba9451.0@news.ruca.ua.ac.be... > hi all > > i'm new to this group and subscribed 'cause i'm a big fan of voyager...after > what i read here i wonder if there is just one FAN in here!! all i read till > now was just complaining about the show... > well, i hope there are people here who like Voyager as much as i do!!! Hey, we're fans! But it doesn't mean we like everything Braga dishes out!

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (evilklowwn@aol.comedy)

Student Ruca doth write thus: >i'm new to this group and subscribed 'cause i'm a big fan of voyager...after >what i read here i wonder if there is just one FAN in here!! all i read till >now was just complaining about the show... >well, i hope there are people here who like Voyager as much as i do!!! Aside from the occasional troll, most people here also subscribed because we're fans..... but TPTB's insults against our intelligence have reached the point where I can't believe they aren't aware of it. I like Vger, and watch each ep at least once..... but after that first viewing, I often don't bother catching them again in reruns. I remember when I loved Trek, when it was my favorite TV show, and I'd like Trek to arise from the ashes and be a great, meaningful and engaging show again. I've just lost hope that the current producers can, or even *want* to, do this. He-Who-Still-Hopes-Trek-Can-Rise-Again "All of our Gods are currently busy with other believers; please hold, your salvation is important to Us. If you are praying for personal gain, pray '1' now....."

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (AstroNerdBoy <astronerdboy@pcisys.net>)

In article <38ba9451.0@news.ruca.ua.ac.be>, "STUDENT_RUCA" <student@zorro.ruca.ua.ac.be> wrote: > hi all > > i'm new to this group and subscribed 'cause i'm a big fan of voyager...after > what i read here i wonder if there is just one FAN in here!! all i read till > now was just complaining about the show... > well, i hope there are people here who like Voyager as much as i do!!! > > kayjay > > I watch Voyager every week (although I missed a couple if episodes this year). While I am a Star Trek fan, I am not a Voyager fan. Knowing that this show COULD have been an outstanding one is what ticks us all off. So here's how I rate the shows: 1) DS9 2) TNG 3) TOS 4) VOY Here's hoping the 5th series is better but since the same people will be working on it, I won't hold my breath. -- -Earl "Looking For Hits" Commander Here's a PATHETIC plea to visit my site at: http://www.astronerdboy.com/comic-strips Thanks to everyone who stops by! You're the GREATEST! Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Before you buy.

STUDENT_RUCA wrote in message <38ba9451.0@news.ruca.ua.ac.be>... >hi all > >i'm new to this group and subscribed 'cause i'm a big fan of voyager...after >what i read here i wonder if there is just one FAN in here!! all i read till >now was just complaining about the show... >well, i hope there are people here who like Voyager as much as i do!!! > Yep, all fans! But, no zombies........ these folks truly enjoy the show, but they also have a lot of sophistication about the creative aspects of its creation -- and they aren't at all bashful about saying what they think. In other words, they like it as it is, but they see how much better it could be, and they ardently wish for it to happen.

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Michele <belanna@uswest.net>)

"lurker@home" wrote: > > Michele wrote in message <38BAAA6B.7B0FAD97@uswest.net>... > > > > > >You should hear us in the Days of our lives ng. > > ATSTV people posting to Days Of Our Lives NG??? The gorge rises at it. > > Maybe they're holdovers from DS9........ > > [..........Lurker runs for his > life...................] "This action does not compute"

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - ("lurker@home" <bluesbird@crosswinds.net>)

Michele wrote in message <38BAAA6B.7B0FAD97@uswest.net>... > > >You should hear us in the Days of our lives ng. ATSTV people posting to Days Of Our Lives NG??? The gorge rises at it. Maybe they're holdovers from DS9........ [..........Lurker runs for his life...................]

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (I am Spartacus <split@compuserve.com>)

Bozo the Former Proctologist thus sprach: >Aside from the occasional troll, most people here also subscribed because we're >fans..... but TPTB's insults against our intelligence have reached the point >where I can't believe they aren't aware of it. > >I like Vger, and watch each ep at least once..... but after that first viewing, >I often don't bother catching them again in reruns. I remember when I loved >Trek, when it was my favorite TV show, and I'd like Trek to arise from the >ashes and be a great, meaningful and engaging show again. I've just lost hope >that the current producers can, or even *want* to, do this. > >He-Who-Still-Hopes-Trek-Can-Rise-Again Well, now! I've been a fan since TOS, and I'm loyal to the cause, so I've been catching every TNG, DS9, and Voyager episode ever filmed. I give every one a fair shake, and I decide later if it suffers from lack of continuity, indulges in rating ploys, or just plain sucks. The Star Trek universe is still engrossing, despite its flaws. Don't be so hard on it, man! THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - you call yourselves fans?? - (STUDENT_RUCA <student@zorro.ruca.ua.ac.be>)

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (shamtrek@aol.compizzagrl)

2000-02-28 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Michael Robinson <robins80@pilot.msu.edu>)

Laura Ware wrote: > > STUDENT_RUCA <student@zorro.ruca.ua.ac.be> wrote in message > news:38ba9451.0@news.ruca.ua.ac.be... > > hi all > > > > i'm new to this group and subscribed 'cause i'm a big fan of > voyager...after > > what i read here i wonder if there is just one FAN in here!! all i read > till > > now was just complaining about the show... > > well, i hope there are people here who like Voyager as much as i do!!! > > Hey, we're fans! But it doesn't mean we like everything Braga dishes out! Hey we are fans, but it doesn't mean we have to like everything. You should hear us in the Days of our lives ng.

2000-02-29 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (shamtrek@aol.compizzagrl)

2000-02-29 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Laura Ware <laware@strato.net>)

Bexar <jazz@hilconet.com> wrote in message news:89ffbh01jg0@enews2.newsguy.com... > > Michael Robinson <robins80@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message > news:38BAA0AE.744EB39A@pilot.msu.edu... > Here is a example of TPTB "rejection of continuity" I found at > TrekWeb.com. They have part of a interview with Joe Menoksy in which It > says. > "About the fan criticism of Voyager's lack of continuity, Menosky told > Cinefantastique "[...] We're not willing to be that rigid about continuity. > It's not that we don't know these things. It's just that we choose to ignore > them when it suits our purposes. We know what we are doing when we dismiss > continuity. You can't accuse us of ignorance. We can be accused of > arrogance, but that's about as far as it goes." > > If you want to see the rest of what he had to say go to this page > http://db.trekweb.com/stories/2000/02/27/951696508.html But I have to warn > you there is spoiler information about upcoming episodes on the top of the > page. ::Snarl:: Must be calm, must be controlled.... Arrogance? How about Stupidity??!

2000-02-29 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (arlie88@aol.comNoSpam)

>> Finally!!!!! Someone else noticed ... << I think we all noticed it was supposed to be farce. The problem was, it wasn't a very funny one. This was no "Piece of the Action" or "Tinker Tenor." -- Arlie

2000-02-29 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (TC <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com>)

lurker@home wrote in message ... > >Yep, all fans! > >But, no zombies........ these folks truly enjoy the show, but they also have >a lot of sophistication about the creative aspects of its creation -- and >they aren't at all bashful about saying what they think. In other words, >they like it as it is, but they see how much better it could be, and they >ardently wish for it to happen. yeah, what lurker said. I wouldn't be wasting my time watching a television show I despise. However, perfection doesn't exist. There is a lot of diversity in the people posting here, and what they like and dislike. It can make for very interesting reading. TC

2000-02-29 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Michael Robinson <robins80@pilot.msu.edu>)

Bexar wrote: > Here is a example of TPTB "rejection of continuity" I found at > TrekWeb.com. They have part of a interview with Joe Menoksy in which It > says. > "About the fan criticism of Voyager's lack of continuity, Menosky told > Cinefantastique "[...] We're not willing to be that rigid about continuity. > It's not that we don't know these things. It's just that we choose to ignore > them when it suits our purposes. We know what we are doing when we dismiss > continuity. You can't accuse us of ignorance. We can be accused of > arrogance, but that's about as far as it goes." > This tells me that these spins don't have the creativity or talent to try to work their stories around what has been established before. It also shows their utter disregard for those of us that want the show to build upon what has come before, not tear it all down to make their story fly. I think this is why most of us are annoyed at TPTB, they just don't care at all. I hope they have nothing to do with the next Trek series lest they ruin the franchise forever. * Robinson -- "No one questions the assassination of a Captain who disobeys prime orders of the Empire." -- Ensign Pavel Chekov, "Mirror, Mirror"

2000-02-29 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Ann Johnson <Johnson.Ann@att.net>)

We don't complain. We analyze and come up with constructive suggestions for the improvement of the series. "STUDENT_RUCA" <student@zorro.ruca.ua.ac.be> wrote in message news:38ba9451.0@news.ruca.ua.ac.be... > hi all > > i'm new to this group and subscribed 'cause i'm a big fan of voyager...after > what i read here i wonder if there is just one FAN in here!! all i read till > now was just complaining about the show... > well, i hope there are people here who like Voyager as much as i do!!! > > kayjay > >

2000-02-29 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (juli17@aol.com)

>* Robinson (who taped "Spirit Folk" but will not watch it until the >carpet needs a good cleaning as reviews say it sucks that hard.) > >-- Jim Wright has an interesting perspective on the episode in his review at Delta Blues. Though I didn't care for "Spirit Folk" too much, I agree that it was meant to be a farce. Taken that way it's not quite the death-knell episode for Voyager that some are making it out to be, IMO. Julie

2000-02-29 00:00:00 - Re: you call yourselves fans?? - (Zabana Brandon <zabana@collegetoday.com>)

Juli17 wrote: > > >* Robinson (who taped "Spirit Folk" but will not > > watch it until the carpet needs a good cleaning > > as reviews say it sucks that hard.) > > > >-- > > Jim Wright has an interesting perspective on > the episode in his review at Delta Blues. Though > I didn't care for "Spirit Folk" too much, I agree > that it was meant to be a farce. Taken that way > it's not quite the death-knell episode for > Voyager that some are making it out to be, IMO. Finally!!!!! Someone else noticed ...