FLM films - My Webpage

2000-04-22 00:00:00 - Re: [OT] ISP rant - (TC <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com>)

"Janet Smith" wrote ... > > > TheFlinx wrote: > > > TC wrote in message <8drlj2$vb1$1@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>... > > >Haven't been able to get online all day today. It kept getting a busy > > >signal (I'm not on AOL, go figure) The recording at tech support said there > > >were some network problems in some areas. So I waited. Later that evening > > >I finally decided to call support and wait for a live body to see if there > > >was ETA on the repair. > > Something was really screwy with Mindspring here in Columbus Oh yesterday (4-21) > Plenty of no-connects, busies, and, login failures. Couldn't get in to Tech > support at all. I did manage to get in long enough to print the phone list for > Ohio and was able to select an alternate number which worked perfectly. At least > back when I was on Netcom, I could have found out what was going on without > having to connect first. Well, the phone message I heard was that there were some scattered network problems. Of course that could be on the recording all the time so people don't bother them <G>. TC

2000-04-22 00:00:00 - Re: [OT] ISP rant - (kemosabe@skyenet.net)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000 12:55:09 -0400, Janet Smith <djanet@mindspring.com> wrote: |Something was really screwy with Mindspring here in Columbus Oh yesterday (4-21) |Plenty of no-connects, busies, and, login failures. Couldn't get in to Tech |support at all. I did manage to get in long enough to print the phone list for |Ohio and was able to select an alternate number which worked perfectly. At least |back when I was on Netcom, I could have found out what was going on without |having to connect first. Masked Man----->I had the same trouble in Indiana. I used my other ISP to connect to the Mindspring Chat Room on their homepage, and found out they were down lots of places in the midwest. The outage lasted about eight hours here. _ Have Gun Will Travel Wire Paladin San Franciscoo

2000-04-22 00:00:00 - Re: [OT] ISP rant - (kemosabe@skyenet.net)

On Sat, 22 Apr 2000 02:58:43 -0500, "TC" <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote: [Rant about Mindspring snipped] Masked Man----->Mindspring has been taken over by Earthlink, one of the spam havens of the universe. My problems started then. _ Have Gun Will Travel Wire Paladin San Franciscoo

"TheFlinx" wrote ... > > TC wrote in message <8drlj2$vb1$1@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>... > > > >Is it too big a deal to e-mail your subscribers when you are going to > change > >the access number? It's not like they don't know the e-mail address. And > >they did give us warning the last time they changed the number. It's a > good > >idea to avoid having your customers call and tie up tech support for > >relatively minor issues. I understand Earthlink just bought Mindspring. So > >am I now going to have to go through another "little" adjustment period as > >homepages and news and mail servers are moved around like the last time? I > >guess now wasn't the best time to upgrade to IE5. I won't know whether to > >blame Microsoft or Earthlink. > > > Mindspring has pull this sort of trick before I had tons of trouble getting > online only to find out after three calls to tech support that the dial up > number I had been using for a year was suddenly an IDSN line, and this was > years before earthlink That's too bad. SWBell and DSL are starting to look better all the time. > >TC <I do think in this instance it would be extremely unfair to blame Wave> > > > No, it wave's fault for sure OK, I blame Wave. wow, that does make things much easier. TC

2000-04-22 00:00:00 - Re: [OT] ISP rant - (Janet Smith <djanet@mindspring.com>)

TheFlinx wrote: > TC wrote in message <8drlj2$vb1$1@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>... > >Haven't been able to get online all day today. It kept getting a busy > >signal (I'm not on AOL, go figure) The recording at tech support said there > >were some network problems in some areas. So I waited. Later that evening > >I finally decided to call support and wait for a live body to see if there > >was ETA on the repair. Something was really screwy with Mindspring here in Columbus Oh yesterday (4-21) Plenty of no-connects, busies, and, login failures. Couldn't get in to Tech support at all. I did manage to get in long enough to print the phone list for Ohio and was able to select an alternate number which worked perfectly. At least back when I was on Netcom, I could have found out what was going on without having to connect first.

2000-04-22 00:00:00 - Re: [OT] ISP rant - (TheFlinx <theFlinxx@yahoo.com>)

TC wrote in message <8drlj2$vb1$1@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>... >Haven't been able to get online all day today. It kept getting a busy >signal (I'm not on AOL, go figure) The recording at tech support said there >were some network problems in some areas. So I waited. Later that evening >I finally decided to call support and wait for a live body to see if there >was ETA on the repair. > >TS Guy: No, sir, there are no network problems in your area > >TC Guy: Why can't I get online? > >TS Guy: What is the access number you are using? > >TC Guy: <gives phone number he's been using since Mindspring took over >Netcom> > >TS Guy: That number is no longer valid. The new number is xxx-xxxx. > >TC Guy: It was working last night. Don't you give some kind of warning that >the number is going to change? > >TS Guy: That should take care of your problem, Thank you for calling >Mindspring. > >Is it too big a deal to e-mail your subscribers when you are going to change >the access number? It's not like they don't know the e-mail address. And >they did give us warning the last time they changed the number. It's a good >idea to avoid having your customers call and tie up tech support for >relatively minor issues. I understand Earthlink just bought Mindspring. So >am I now going to have to go through another "little" adjustment period as >homepages and news and mail servers are moved around like the last time? I >guess now wasn't the best time to upgrade to IE5. I won't know whether to >blame Microsoft or Earthlink. Mindspring has pull this sort of trick before I had tons of trouble getting online only to find out after three calls to tech support that the dial up number I had been using for a year was suddenly an IDSN line, and this was years before earthlink >TC <I do think in this instance it would be extremely unfair to blame Wave> No, it wave's fault for sure

2000-04-22 00:00:00 - [OT] ISP rant - (TC <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com>)

Haven't been able to get online all day today. It kept getting a busy signal (I'm not on AOL, go figure) The recording at tech support said there were some network problems in some areas. So I waited. Later that evening I finally decided to call support and wait for a live body to see if there was ETA on the repair. TS Guy: No, sir, there are no network problems in your area TC Guy: Why can't I get online? TS Guy: What is the access number you are using? TC Guy: <gives phone number he's been using since Mindspring took over Netcom> TS Guy: That number is no longer valid. The new number is xxx-xxxx. TC Guy: It was working last night. Don't you give some kind of warning that the number is going to change? TS Guy: That should take care of your problem, Thank you for calling Mindspring. Is it too big a deal to e-mail your subscribers when you are going to change the access number? It's not like they don't know the e-mail address. And they did give us warning the last time they changed the number. It's a good idea to avoid having your customers call and tie up tech support for relatively minor issues. I understand Earthlink just bought Mindspring. So am I now going to have to go through another "little" adjustment period as homepages and news and mail servers are moved around like the last time? I guess now wasn't the best time to upgrade to IE5. I won't know whether to blame Microsoft or Earthlink. TC <I do think in this instance it would be extremely unfair to blame Wave>

2000-04-23 00:00:00 - Re: [OT] ISP rant - (TC <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com>)

"Nordy" wrote... > > The ISP I work for has a page just for announcements like number deletions > so that when customers are informed of server upgrades that will cause short > outages and when Telecom are going to take out exchanges to fix them and > when they are taking phone numbers out of service and other such issues, > that are unexpected they will post a note about it as soon as they can sorta > thing. It makes our lives on the helpdesk alot easier during an outage > except for the people who still call saying this doesnt work blah blah blah > and we can tell them about the message of the day site which they usually > reply either they dont go there or they had never heard of it before, and > our response is that they agreed to read it when they agreed to our terms > and conditions, but we are nice about it. Well, I don't spend a lot of time on my ISP's homepage because there is little there that interests me. The last time they changed the local access number they warned us in e-mail about 2 weeks in advance and then sent another e-mail about a week in advance. At least that way if I ignore my e-mail it's my fault. Suddenly assigning a new number overnight without any type of warning is what ticked me off. And when I talked to the support guy he didn't have any explanation, just that it was a new number. Now I do HW tech support so I know that the guys on the phone are sometimes the last to get any critical information so I didn't blow up at him. I just came here to rant. <G> TC > Nordy > aka CJ > >

2000-04-24 00:00:00 - Re: [OT] ISP rant - (Nordy <sweet.thing@nospam.innocent.com>)

"TC" <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com> wrote in message news:8drlj2$vb1$1@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net... > Haven't been able to get online all day today. It kept getting a busy > signal (I'm not on AOL, go figure) The recording at tech support said there > were some network problems in some areas. So I waited. Later that evening > I finally decided to call support and wait for a live body to see if there > was ETA on the repair. > > TS Guy: No, sir, there are no network problems in your area > > TC Guy: Why can't I get online? > > TS Guy: What is the access number you are using? > > TC Guy: <gives phone number he's been using since Mindspring took over > Netcom> > > TS Guy: That number is no longer valid. The new number is xxx-xxxx. > > TC Guy: It was working last night. Don't you give some kind of warning that > the number is going to change? > > TS Guy: That should take care of your problem, Thank you for calling > Mindspring. > > Is it too big a deal to e-mail your subscribers when you are going to change > the access number? It's not like they don't know the e-mail address. And > they did give us warning the last time they changed the number. It's a good > idea to avoid having your customers call and tie up tech support for > relatively minor issues. I understand Earthlink just bought Mindspring. So > am I now going to have to go through another "little" adjustment period as > homepages and news and mail servers are moved around like the last time? I > guess now wasn't the best time to upgrade to IE5. I won't know whether to > blame Microsoft or Earthlink. > > TC <I do think in this instance it would be extremely unfair to blame Wave> > The ISP I work for has a page just for announcements like number deletions so that when customers are informed of server upgrades that will cause short outages and when Telecom are going to take out exchanges to fix them and when they are taking phone numbers out of service and other such issues, that are unexpected they will post a note about it as soon as they can sorta thing. It makes our lives on the helpdesk alot easier during an outage except for the people who still call saying this doesnt work blah blah blah and we can tell them about the message of the day site which they usually reply either they dont go there or they had never heard of it before, and our response is that they agreed to read it when they agreed to our terms and conditions, but we are nice about it. Nordy aka CJ