FLM films - My Webpage

1999-11-18 00:00:00 - And the Yankee juggernaut rolls on ("1 Small Step" Spoilers) - (arlie88@aol.comNoSpam)

SPOILERS for "One Small Step".... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I liked it. A sort of quiet episode, compared to, say, "Dragon's Teeth," but gripping. This, IMO, is what Trek has always been about: human drama in a SF setting, with a positive and uplifting spin. Don't get me wrong, I love the dark and depressing shows like BLAKE'S 7 too, but that's just not Trek. This was noble and optimistic, without being corny and saccharine. Things I liked: 1) Tom's look of pain at the mention of the words "pilot error." OMG, are they actually going to let him have some Caldik Prime angst, instead of the same old dad angst? 2) Janeway says "Talax," not "Talaxia." 3) Tuvok (who apparently *did* beam back last ep ;-) had actual screen time, including an interesting scene with Seven. 4) The black Kelly had an Asian wife. A mixed-race couple. Egad, are they actually listening to us here on the newsgroup? If so, I'm awaiting that "Harry Kim dressed only in a skimpy towel" scene. ;-) 5) Kelly died. I was afraid they were going to find him alive, a la Amelia Earhart in "The 37s." I'm tired of that particular gimmick. 6) The Yankees win the World Series again!!!! All in all, a nice, balanced episode. It was great to see characterization in the normal course of events, as it were, instead of making it some major traumatic event. We can't meet B'Elanna's mom in hell or mindwipe Tuvok every week, but the weeks we don't shouldn't be mindless shoot-'em-ups like "Dragon's Teeth." They should be like "One Small Step." And I heartily approve of Harry in the dress uniform. I'm not wild about Voyager's dress uniform; it's right behind the sickbay PJs on the "unflattering to everyone" costumes list. But he looked good in it this time. Usually that darned thing reminds me of a maternity smock, but it was tailored right on Harry this time. -- Arlie

1999-11-19 00:00:00 - Re: And the Yankee juggernaut rolls on ("1 Small Step" Spoilers) - ("David B." <bothecat@hotmail.com>)

Shammie wrote: > > > "David B." wrote: > > >Well, the Voyager dress uniforms are way better than the one from TNG. > >Those made the guys look like drag queens. > > I thought the white uniforms in Insurrection were gorgeous! I didn't care for them. I thought that I had walked into a Love Boat movie instead of a Star Trek movie. -- "No matter how paranoid you are...you can't be paranoid enough" - Suzanne Modeski, from "Unusual Suspects" episode of "The X-Files". http://pages.whowhere.com/entertainment/scififan/

1999-11-19 00:00:00 - Re: And the Yankee juggernaut rolls on ("1 Small Step" Spoilers) - (arlie88@aol.comNoSpam)

1999-11-20 00:00:00 - Re: And the Yankee juggernaut rolls on ("1 Small Step" Spoilers) - (shamtrek@aol.compizzagrl)

1999-11-20 00:00:00 - Re: And the Yankee juggernaut rolls on ("1 Small Step" Spoilers) - (TC <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com>)

Robert Hutchinson wrote in message <383511D6.8D5B6B4C@hotmail.com>... >TheFlinx wrote: >> Shammie wrote ... >> >>(Arlie) wrote: >> > >> > >> >>>>I thought it was pretty okay. I really wish Chakky woulda been >> unconscious >> >>for the rest of the ep. << >> >> >> >>LOL! I have to admit, I kept thinking about how certain members of this >> >>newsgroup would think that was an ideal role for Beltran: an unconscious >> >>person. ;-) >> >> >> >There is one episode where he is in a coma for the whole show, I forgot the >> >name of it. >> >> Ummm, it seems like just about all of them. > >It might be in a post I haven't read yet, but it's funny how no one's yet >commented on: > >"And leave Voyager without a first officer?" >"They'd manage." I was surprised that no one has mentioned it also. For some reason I also had to laugh when he had to jump through the door while everything was malfunctioning. TC >Robert Hutchinson >Saw "Eye of the Needle" the other night ... *there's* your painful non-acting.

1999-11-21 00:00:00 - Re: And the Yankee juggernaut rolls on ("1 Small Step" Spoilers) - (shamtrek@aol.compizzagrl)

1999-11-21 00:00:00 - Re: And the Yankee juggernaut rolls on ("1 Small Step" Spoilers) - (TC <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com>)

Shammie wrote in message <19991121094409.05622.00000495@ng-cl1.aol.com>... >>"TC" wrote: > >>Chak may have come across >>as >>>a doh-doh-head in this ep, but Beltran did a good job portraying that. >> >> >>Someone who is more cynical than I might say "It's always easy to play >>yourself" > >And someone more pervy that you will surely read it as "It's always easy to >play with yourself" And you did!! <vbg> Of course, I am so naive and pure of heart that I missed that. What, no sig? TC