FLM films - My Webpage

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - ("EvilBill[AGQx]" <evilbill.DIE-SPAM-DIE@nutter.swinternet.co.uk>)

"I am Spartacus" <split@compuserve.com> wrote in message... > > What about the ones who show up at conventions as Klingons or Borg? Or how > about the fan clubs where you join a ship crew and try to work your way up > from ensign to admiral? Can anyone in here speak fluent Romulan or decipher > the ancient Bajoran texts? Yes, we're weirdoes too, but at least we have > time and money for life outside of all this, right? > I'm a member of a fan club matching your description... -- Sisko: "Do you really want to give up your life for the order of things?" Remata'Klan: "It is not my life to give up, Captain, and it never was." EvilBill's home page: http://members.xoom.com/_XOOM/EvilBill/index.html; ICQ number: 37464244 Remove .DIE-SPAM-DIE from my email address to respond. Get paid to surf the web: http://www.alladvantage.com/join.asp?refid=dtd-950

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (MrPeepers <MRPEEPERS007@prodigy.net>)

or the guy who strolls around town in his souped up wheel chair...and builds ST technology on his spare time? -- and with a Monarch's voice....CRY HAVOC...and let slip the Dogs of War "Shammie" <shamtrek@aol.compizzagrl> wrote in message news:20000107151121.15819.00000504@ng-fo1.aol.com... > >"Wavemaker" wrote: > > > >It was hard, I > >think, at least for me, to tell when some of these folks had crossed the > >line from a healthy interest in something positive to an obsession that > >actually limited their life experiences. > > What about the guy who was dead serious about plastic surgery to (I think it > was) get his ears fixed into Vulcan ears if he only had the money! > or the guy who strolls around town in his souped up wheel chair...and builds ST technology on his spare time? -- and with a Monarch's voice....CRY HAVOC...and let slip the Dogs of War

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Arcanum <rob.nicholson@btinternet.com>)

MrPeepers <MRPEEPERS007@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:855rt5$avo6$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com... > > or the guy who strolls around town in his souped up wheel chair...and builds > ST technology on his spare time? Can you stroll while in a wheelchair? Arcanum. (Don't mind me, I'm a professional pest {;o) -- "I'm an angel; I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls and from now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why." Archangel Gabriel

LOL...I suppose "stroll" wasn't the best choice of words...guess I was too disturbed by the picture of his head in that contraption going down the sidewalk to think clearly =) -- and with a Monarch's voice....CRY HAVOC...and let slip the Dogs of War "Arcanum" <rob.nicholson@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:855sig$8rc$1@plutonium.btinternet.com... > > MrPeepers <MRPEEPERS007@prodigy.net> wrote in message > news:855rt5$avo6$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com... > > > > or the guy who strolls around town in his souped up wheel chair...and > builds > > ST technology on his spare time? > > Can you stroll while in a wheelchair? > Arcanum. (Don't mind me, I'm a professional pest {;o) > > > -- > "I'm an angel; I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities > into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls and > from now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your > existence, is never understanding why." > Archangel Gabriel > >

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (shamtrek@aol.compizzagrl)

>"Wavemaker" wrote: >It was hard, I >think, at least for me, to tell when some of these folks had crossed the >line from a healthy interest in something positive to an obsession that >actually limited their life experiences. What about the guy who was dead serious about plastic surgery to (I think it was) get his ears fixed into Vulcan ears if he only had the money!

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Wavemaker <wavemaker@my-deja.com>)

"Shammie" wrote: > >"Wavemaker" wrote: > > >It was hard, I > >think, at least for me, to tell when some of these folks had crossed the > >line from a healthy interest in something positive to an obsession that > >actually limited their life experiences. > > What about the guy who was dead serious about plastic surgery to (I think it > was) get his ears fixed into Vulcan ears if he only had the money! Yeah, I think his wife was even taken aback by that. This was the same couple who had their poodle dressed up in some sort of Star Fleet uniform!

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (TheShredder <THESHREDDER1@prodigy.net>)

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Angry Angel� <briles1@earthlink.net>)

"Wavemaker" <wavemaker@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:BRqd4.2204$qj2.3530@news2.randori.com... > Watched "Trekkies" last night. It was pretty good, but not great. > > I think my favorite parts were listening to the actors talk about their > experiences over the years. DeForest Kelly talking about how an attractive > female fan once sent him a joint because she had been "turned on" by him so > many times while watching Dr. McCoy and wanted to return the favor. I loved > how he said at the end, "I kept that one." :-) > > Nimoy talking about John Wayne coming up behind him at a party grabbing him > by the shoulders and saying, "You got your ears fixed, didn't you?" Or > something like that. > > Jimmy Doohan talking about a young lady who was near suicide. He was able to > eventually inspire her to get a masters in electrical engineering. > > The thing that impressed me with all of the Trek actors was how much > presence they had on the screen. Even just sitting there talking about > themselves and the whole Star Trek phenomenon, they projected a definite > persona that really captured your attention. > > Well, how about all of those "trekkies"? > > You remember that dentist sitting there with his family all dressed up in > Trek uniforms? I swear his wife reminded me of the wife from "Real Life" > before B'Elanna changed the program. > > And the couple sitting there with their pooch dressed up in a Trek uniform, > LOL! > > I have to admit being a little bored after awhile seeing one Trekkie after > another in their uniform. Some of it was interesting, but, man, enough > already! > > I also think it was a real challenge to not be judgmental. It was hard, I > think, at least for me, to tell when some of these folks had crossed the > line from a healthy interest in something positive to an obsession that > actually limited their life experiences. > > Oh, well. It was a pretty good flick. Agreed. I also liked watching the interviews with the actors. But some of those people who were really hard core trekkies was kind of embarrassing. I mean people already think we're weird, and these people sure didn't make us look sane if you know what I mean. Angry Angel��� -------------------- Janeway Rocks! "Chakotay- You didn't poison the coffee did you?" "Janeway- Not anymore than what I usually do."

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Wavemaker <wavemaker@my-deja.com>)

Wavemaker wrote: "TheShredder" wrote: > > > I think my favorite parts were listening to the actors talk about their > > experiences over the years. > > My favorite had to be DeLancie's New York Experience..."Can you bring back > people from the dead?" "I said, uh...Only people I like..." "And he walks > away" > :) Yeah, the guy said, "Cool!" before walking away. :-) > That and Spiner reacting to the uhm....picture of him and Crosby. I loved that! > > And the couple sitting there with their pooch dressed up in a Trek > uniform, > > LOL! > > I felt sorry for t he poor dog. :) What was so funny is that I didn't know what the woman was holding until the damn thing moved. Then I couldn't help but laugh. > > I have to admit being a little bored after awhile seeing one Trekkie after > > another in their uniform. Some of it was interesting, but, man, enough > > already! > > I'll have to agree with you on that one. But, that's what the whole > documovie was about :). You're right. I was thinking that it would have been better as an one hour TV special or something. > > I also think it was a real challenge to not be judgmental. It was hard, I > > think, at least for me, to tell when some of these folks had crossed the > > line from a healthy interest in something positive to an obsession that > > actually limited their life experiences. > > This is another agreement. I'd have to say that the Trek Juror was over the > top.."I'm a citizen of the Federation 24 hours a day." She has a point > about Football uniforms("People wear them to other places, and their > considerd normal"). But, even so, NOBODY woulld wear a football uniform to > a Trial as important as that. Well, the football analogy holds up to a point. The thing is that people *would* stare at you if you showed up at a stupermarket in a football uniform complete with helmet and shoulder pads. Some of these people weren't just wearing a Trek shirt but complete uniforms with tricorders, etc. when they went out. I think that was a bit much. > As for the others....Well, no comment really<G> Heh.

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Wavemaker <wavemaker@my-deja.com>)

"Angry Angel�" wrote: > > Agreed. I also liked watching the interviews with the actors. But some of > those people who were really hard core trekkies was kind of embarrassing. I > mean people already think we're weird, and these people sure didn't make us > look sane if you know what I mean. With some of the "Trekkies," you could tell they were just having fun with the whole business. But with others, it was hard to tell. Of course, you know when they make a movie like this, they're going to look for the fringe element to focus on. But I don't want to be too hard on them because I'm just a little (ok, maybe more than a little) weird myself. I liked what Bret Spiner said. He said that no one is normal; we're all peculiar in one way or another.

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (I am Spartacus <split@compuserve.com>)

Wavemaker wrote in message ... >With some of the "Trekkies," you could tell they were just having fun with >the whole business. But with others, it was hard to tell. Of course, you >know when they make a movie like this, they're going to look for the fringe >element to focus on. > >But I don't want to be too hard on them because I'm just a little (ok, maybe >more than a little) weird myself. I liked what Bret Spiner said. He said >that no one is normal; we're all peculiar in one way or another. What about the ones who show up at conventions as Klingons or Borg? Or how about the fan clubs where you join a ship crew and try to work your way up from ensign to admiral? Can anyone in here speak fluent Romulan or decipher the ancient Bajoran texts? Yes, we're weirdoes too, but at least we have time and money for life outside of all this, right? THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN

2000-01-07 00:00:00 - Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Wavemaker <wavemaker@my-deja.com>)

2000-01-08 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (shamtrek@aol.compizzagrl)

2000-01-08 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (kemosabe@skyenet.net)

Masked Man----->Well, time anyway..... On Fri, 7 Jan 2000 17:43:25 -0500, "I am Spartacus" <split@compuserve.com> wrote: |Yes, we're weirdoes too, but at least we have |time and money for life outside of all this, right?

2000-01-09 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Arcanum <rob.nicholson@btinternet.com>)

MrPeepers <MRPEEPERS007@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:855ubs$auuo$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com... > > LOL...I suppose "stroll" wasn't the best choice of words...guess I was too > disturbed by the picture of his head in that contraption going down the > sidewalk to think clearly > =) I haven't actually seen the thing you're on about, but for some reason these comments turned me on. Arcanum. (Having a one track mind day) -- "I'm an angel; I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls and from now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why." Archangel Gabriel

2000-01-10 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Michael Robinson <robins80@pilot.msu.edu>)

The Pike wheelchair? That had us scratching our heads. The guy basically turned a garbage receptacle upside down! I wonder if the lights work and if he'd only answer yes or no questions while in the chair. Well Mr. <whatever his name was>, would you like fries with that? *beep* * Robinson MrPeepers wrote: > > or the guy who strolls around town in his souped up wheel chair...and builds > ST technology on his spare time? > > -- > and with a Monarch's voice....CRY HAVOC...and let slip the Dogs of War > "Shammie" <shamtrek@aol.compizzagrl> wrote in message > news:20000107151121.15819.00000504@ng-fo1.aol.com... > > >"Wavemaker" wrote: > > > > > > >It was hard, I > > >think, at least for me, to tell when some of these folks had crossed the > > >line from a healthy interest in something positive to an obsession that > > >actually limited their life experiences. > > > > What about the guy who was dead serious about plastic surgery to (I think > it > > was) get his ears fixed into Vulcan ears if he only had the money! > > > > or the guy who strolls around town in his souped up wheel chair...and builds > ST technology on his spare time? > > -- > and with a Monarch's voice....CRY HAVOC...and let slip the Dogs of War -- "No one questions the assassination of a Captain who disobeys prime orders of the Empire." -- Ensign Pavel Chekov, "Mirror, Mirror"

2000-01-10 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Michael Robinson <robins80@pilot.msu.edu>)

I thought some of the actual Trekkies were way into the realm of "Get a life." The woman who wore her uniform to jury duty and regularly wears a commbadge and props to work was insane. I can sympathize a bit, as I have a couple of uniforms and have insignia on my jackets, but I wouldn't dream of wearing a phaser on a daily basis, nor would I wear the uniform to anything but costume parties and maybe larp. I tend to wonder about people who cross the line from healthy interest to living and breathing whatever their passion is, be it religion or Star Trek or Newt Gingrich. * Robinson -- "No one questions the assassination of a Captain who disobeys prime orders of the Empire." -- Ensign Pavel Chekov, "Mirror, Mirror"

2000-01-11 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (buchner@wcta.net)

MrPeepers <MRPEEPERS007@prodigy.net> wrote: > or the guy who strolls around town in his souped up wheel chair...and builds > ST technology on his spare time? I couldn't figure him out. Was he really clever, and pulling our leg? Or was he really, really odd? The best part of that whole sequence might have been the Radio Shack Guy, who wouldn't say anything, wouldn't answer any questions, just stared. At first, wrapped up in the mood of the movie, I thought he was reacting to the Odd Trekkie Guy -- but then I realized he wasn't wearing or doing anything strange, and it was just a regular Radio Shack Guy, caught on film. It had nothing to do with Star Trek or anything. Doofuses in stores do that to me all the time. He was just acting like those guys act. -- David buchner@wcta.net Osage MN USA http://customer.wcta.net/buchner

2000-01-11 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Michael Robinson <robins80@pilot.msu.edu>)

And don't get me started about other accessories! :) * Robinson "TECHLAB@photo-rescue.com" wrote: > > On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:39:23 -0500, Michael Robinson > <robins80@pilot.msu.edu> wrote: > > >I thought some of the actual Trekkies were way into the realm of "Get a > >life." The woman who wore her uniform to jury duty and regularly wears > >a commbadge and props to work was insane. I can sympathize a bit, as I > >have a couple of uniforms and have insignia on my jackets, but I > >wouldn't dream of wearing a phaser on a daily basis, > > I know.. you can never find shoes to match.. -- "No one questions the assassination of a Captain who disobeys prime orders of the Empire." -- Ensign Pavel Chekov, "Mirror, Mirror"

2000-01-12 00:00:00 - Re: Finally saw "Trekkies" - (Julianna Feigl <glacierqueen@hotmail.comspamisboring>)

Angry Angel� wrote: > > Agreed. I also liked watching the interviews with the actors. But some of > those people who were really hard core trekkies was kind of embarrassing. I > mean people already think we're weird, and these people sure didn't make us > look sane if you know what I mean. > That was exactly my impression: some people were *really* going a bit tooo far... Julianna -------- Tuvok: The main reason to watch Voyager!