FLM films - My Webpage

2000-04-23 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (thesiskoisofbajor <rhimpelman@ameritech.net>)

In article <Q_LM4.2500$dj5.34033@news.swbell.net>, el_capitano@geocities.com (Chris W.) wrote in <390389cd$1_2@news.vphos.net>: > >>Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" suck big >>time? I wouldn't know. I refuse to watch that movie. I actually got sent down to the office during art for refusing to watch it. RH Let the mayhem begin." -Elliot Carver "Tomorrow Never Dies" * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network * The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

2000-04-23 00:00:00 - Re: Phantom Menace - (TC <yewston@ix.REMOVE.netcom.com>)

"Chris W." wrote ... > Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" suck big > time? Granted, the visual effects were to die for, but the plot seemed badly > written and overly dependant on having the audience watch the previous > movies. There was next to no explanation about who was doing what and who > hated who and why the Trade Federation guys didn't seem to have lip > movements that matched their dialogue. And I thought Star Wars ships didn't > have shields. Wasn't that one of the "crucial" points in the whole Star Wars > vs. Star Trek debate? I didn't think it was that bad. Not as memorable as the first trilogy but far from crap. It just couldn't live up to the hype. Nothing could have lived up to that hype. Maybe it's like the Federation losing the technology to back up computer files. The Republic lost shield technology in the wars <BEG> > And am I the only one who thought Jar Jar *wasn't* the most annoying part of > the movie? Granted he was pretty stupid at times, but Young Annakin > Skywalker just made me cringe every time he said anything. Jar was pretty stupid but was clearly aimed at kids. The little boy saving the universe was cringeworthy. TC > Chris W. > >

2000-04-23 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (TheFlinx <theFlinxx@yahoo.com>)

thesiskoisofbajor wrote in message <089adac5.9abe56c6@usw-ex0106-045.remarq.com>... >In article <Q_LM4.2500$dj5.34033@news.swbell.net>, >el_capitano@geocities.com (Chris W.) wrote in ><390389cd$1_2@news.vphos.net>: >> >>>Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom >Menace" suck big >>>time? > >I wouldn't know. I refuse to watch that movie. I actually got >sent down to the office during art for refusing to watch it. > >RH OK, I'll bite, why?

2000-04-23 00:00:00 - Re: Phantom Menace - ("Chris W." <el_capitano@geocities.com>)

"TheShredder" <THESHREDDER1haveaball@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:8e0ikt$29fm$1@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com... > Speaking of wich....how many of you want to bet that something happens to > Anakins' mother along the way, wich finally turns him over to evil? My theory is that he gains tremendous power in his quest to free his mother. He does end up freeing her, but becomes corrupted by this power. Obi Wan wants him to give it up, but he refuses, thus beginning the conflict between them. But that's just pure speculation on my part. Chris W.

2000-04-23 00:00:00 - [OT]: Phantom Menace - ("Chris W." <el_capitano@geocities.com>)

Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" suck big time? Granted, the visual effects were to die for, but the plot seemed badly written and overly dependant on having the audience watch the previous movies. There was next to no explanation about who was doing what and who hated who and why the Trade Federation guys didn't seem to have lip movements that matched their dialogue. And I thought Star Wars ships didn't have shields. Wasn't that one of the "crucial" points in the whole Star Wars vs. Star Trek debate? And am I the only one who thought Jar Jar *wasn't* the most annoying part of the movie? Granted he was pretty stupid at times, but Young Annakin Skywalker just made me cringe every time he said anything. Chris W.

2000-04-23 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (luxion@swbell.net)

el_capitano@geocities.com (Chris W.) wrote in <390389cd$1_2@news.vphos.net>: >Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" suck big >time? Granted, the visual effects were to die for, but the plot seemed >badly written and overly dependant on having the audience watch the >previous movies. There was next to no explanation about who was doing >what and who hated who and why the Trade Federation guys didn't seem to >have lip movements that matched their dialogue. And I thought Star Wars >ships didn't have shields. Wasn't that one of the "crucial" points in >the whole Star Wars vs. Star Trek debate? It wasn't BAD, per se. Just not the religious experience the media Unicron (juggernaut seems inadequate here) made it out to be. If anything, my biggest beef with the movie was the scientific semi- explanation of the Force--those *^&%^&%$&^!! 'midichlorians.' THAT I found hard to deal with. As for it basically starting off running...how many people on the face of the planet HAVEN'T seen or at least heard of the (Second) Trilogy? *shrug* A little more elaboration might have helped, but judging from the quality of the elaboration in the film overall, it might have sucked in its own regard. >And am I the only one who thought Jar Jar *wasn't* the most annoying >part of the movie? Granted he was pretty stupid at times, but Young >Anakin Skywalker just made me cringe every time he said anything. Anakin had a lot of Luke in him. Luke circa 'A New Hope,' of course. :) - Will, going to Radio Shack for new lightsaber power cells and a rubberized grip

2000-04-24 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (Citizen G'Kar <Narns@allEXCEPTSPAMisurvey.freeserve.co.uk>)

Chris W. <el_capitano@geocities.com> wrote in article <390389cd$1_2@news.vphos.net>... > Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" suck big > time? No, it's a much more subtle film than people give it credit for (remember, the plot, such as it is, is actually just a scam by Palpy) > Granted, the visual effects were to die for, but the plot seemed badly > written and overly dependant on having the audience watch the previous > movies. There was next to no explanation about who was doing what and who > hated who and why the Trade Federation guys didn't seem to have lip > movements that matched their dialogue. But all the "these Federation types are cowards" type stuff was hilarious - obviously having a go at Trek. > And I thought Star Wars ships didn't > have shields. Wasn't that one of the "crucial" points in the whole Star Wars > vs. Star Trek debate? You thought wrong - the big colf-ball things on top of Star Destroyers are shield generators (and remember the line in ANH- "Switch all power to front deflector shields". And the whole plot with the shield generator at the start of ESB...) > And am I the only one who thought Jar Jar *wasn't* the most annoying part of > the movie? Granted he was pretty stupid at times, but Young Annakin > Skywalker just made me cringe every time he said anything. JarJar was great. Annakin wasn't quite as dire as I expected, but that's simply because my expectations of him were so low. (and I choose to believe Artoo was relaly flying the ship...) I want to be Darth Maul when I grow up though... -- -- "Oh, go away. Repress someone else."

2000-04-24 00:00:00 - Re: Phantom Menace - (kemosabe@skyenet.net)

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:43:10 -0600, "Mike. H." <mhantz@micron.net> wrote: |The kid was a terrible actor, but I dealt with it because it was intrinsic |to the plot. Jar Jar was simply too damned annoying. Masked Man----->the kid who played Anakin was great. It was what they had that kid do that was terrible. And, I agree: I hope we've seen the last of Jar-Jar Binks. Uh, btw, what's this thread doing in a Trek newsgroup? _ Have Gun Will Travel Wire Paladin San Franciscoo

2000-04-24 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (thesiskoisofbajor <rhimpelman@ameritech.net>)

In article <8e0a20$70o$1@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>, "TheFlinx" <theFlinxx@yahoo.com> wrote: > >thesiskoisofbajor wrote in message ><089adac5.9abe56c6@usw-ex0106-045.remarq.com>... >>In article <Q_LM4.2500$dj5.34033@news.swbell.net>, >>el_capitano@geocities.com (Chris W.) wrote in >><390389cd$1_2@news.vphos.net>: >>> >>>>Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom >>Menace" suck big >>>>time? >> >>I wouldn't know. I refuse to watch that movie. I actually got >>sent down to the office during art for refusing to watch it. >> >>RH > > >OK, I'll bite, why? > Trust me, it's better if I remain somewhat cryptic on this one. RH Let the mayhem begin." -Elliot Carver "Tomorrow Never Dies" * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network * The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

2000-04-24 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - ("Louis M. Brown" <phyphor@rocketmail.com>)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:41:33 -0700, "Chris W." <el_capitano@geocities.com> wrote: >Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" suck big >time? Pretty much. Most people didn't know that Coruscant was both the center of the Republic AND the Empire.... (I only know because I read it in Timothy Zahn's excellent trilogy, Dark Force Rising. ) Granted, the visual effects were to die for, but the plot seemed badly >written and overly dependant on having the audience watch the previous >movies. There was next to no explanation about who was doing what and who >hated who and why the Trade Federation guys didn't seem to have lip >movements that matched their dialogue. Nor did they really explain just why the hell they were allowed to orbit Naboo.. A blockade of a planet is LEGAL? > And I thought Star Wars ships didn't >have shields. Wasn't that one of the "crucial" points in the whole Star Wars >vs. Star Trek debate? Actually, they do have shields.. IIRC, even in SW4, shields are mentioned on the Xwings.. (although at no time have shields seemed effective, except in SW4 when the Millenium Falcon is running away from the death star. > >And am I the only one who thought Jar Jar *wasn't* the most annoying part of >the movie? Agreed.. I'd heard he was annoying as hell, but he didn't really bother me much.. Actually, since he struts around like a guy I know (I swear to god, that strut is a DEAD RINGER for this dude,) I found him to be hilarious at times. > Granted he was pretty stupid at times, but Young Annakin >Skywalker just made me cringe every time he said anything. Yea.. talk about bad acting... -LMB > >Chris W. >

2000-04-24 00:00:00 - Re: Phantom Menace - (TheShredder <THESHREDDER1haveaball@prodigy.net>)

2000-04-24 00:00:00 - Re: Phantom Menace - ("Mike. H." <mhantz@micron.net>)

"Chris W." <el_capitano@geocities.com> wrote in message news:390389cd$1_2@news.vphos.net... > Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" suck big > time? I don't know, I kind of liked it. Not as good as Episode 4 & 5, but easily as good as 6. > Granted, the visual effects were to die for, but the plot seemed badly > written and overly dependant on having the audience watch the previous > movies. I think a great deal of this movie was simply set-up for the next two. Sidious manipulating the Trade Federation, thus allowing Palpatine's rise to power, etc. What I wish is that we see a little more of the bad guy's motivation (more in depth, if you will). >There was next to no explanation about who was doing what and who > hated who and why the Trade Federation guys didn't seem to have lip > movements that matched their dialogue. It seemed to me that this was spoofing some of the Japanese martial arts movies. > And I thought Star Wars ships didn't have shields. >Wasn't that one of the "crucial" points in the whole Star Wars > vs. Star Trek debate? I thought Star Wars ships did have shields. The X-wings and snow speeders did. And the Falcon, of course. > And am I the only one who thought Jar Jar *wasn't* the most annoying part of > the movie? Granted he was pretty stupid at times, but Young Annakin > Skywalker just made me cringe every time he said anything. The kid was a terrible actor, but I dealt with it because it was intrinsic to the plot. Jar Jar was simply too damned annoying.

2000-04-25 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (Ta'Teria <tateria@yahoo.com>)

Louis M. Brown <phyphor@rocketmail.com> wrote in message news:5sfagss77kfqalba04ru0e3uhqa8hr16q5@4ax.com... > On 24 Apr 2000 22:29:41 GMT, "Citizen G'Kar" > <Narns@allEXCEPTSPAMisurvey.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > > >Annakin wasn't quite as dire as I expected, but that's simply because my > >expectations of him were so low. (and I choose to believe Artoo was relaly > >flying the ship...) > > Yea, that was -MUCH- more believable than thinking Anakin was > controlling it.. No, he had to be controlling it. Dont forget from Ep. IV... Obi Wan to Luke about Anikin already being a great pilot when he met him. Plus the Pod racing was Ani solo as well...

Taliessen <Taliessen@Canada.com> wrote in message news:aYtN4.2959$4JC.30539999@tomcat.sk.sympatico.ca... > >>>Annakin wasn't quite as dire as I expected, but that's simply because my > >>>expectations of him were so low. (and I choose to believe Artoo was > >>>relaly flying the ship...) > >> > >>Yea, that was -MUCH- more believable than thinking Anakin was > >>controlling it.. > > > >No, he had to be controlling it. Dont forget from Ep. IV... Obi Wan to > Luke > >bout Anikin already being a great pilot when he met him. Plus the Pod > >acing was Ani solo as well... > > Besides, we all learn quickly when it comes to the things that interest us > the most. Agreed.

2000-04-25 00:00:00 - Re: Phantom Menace - ("David B." <bothecat@hotmail.com>)

Masked Man wrote: > > On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:43:10 -0600, "Mike. H." <mhantz@micron.net> > wrote: > > |The kid was a terrible actor, but I dealt with it because it was intrinsic > |to the plot. Jar Jar was simply too damned annoying. > > Masked Man----->the kid who played Anakin was great. It was what they > had that kid do that was terrible. And, I agree: I hope we've seen > the last of Jar-Jar Binks. Sorry to diasappoint you but he's in the next movie. Though I bet he dies in episode 3...

2000-04-25 00:00:00 - Re: Phantom Menace - ("Mike. H." <mhantz@micron.net>)

"Masked Man" <kemosabe@skyenet.net> wrote in message news:390cd4a6.288952713@news.mindspring.com... > On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:43:10 -0600, "Mike. H." <mhantz@micron.net> > wrote: > > |The kid was a terrible actor, but I dealt with it because it was intrinsic > |to the plot. Jar Jar was simply too damned annoying. > > Masked Man----->the kid who played Anakin was great. It was what they > had that kid do that was terrible. And, I agree: I hope we've seen > the last of Jar-Jar Binks. I didn't think all that much of the actor. Then again, I don't think that much of child actors to begin with. And yeah, his actions were a bit over the top - but he is going to bring balance to the force! > Uh, btw, what's this thread doing in a Trek newsgroup? Hey, it had a brief mention of Star Trek.

2000-04-25 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - ("Louis M. Brown" <phyphor@rocketmail.com>)

On 24 Apr 2000 22:29:41 GMT, "Citizen G'Kar" <Narns@allEXCEPTSPAMisurvey.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > > >Chris W. <el_capitano@geocities.com> wrote in article ><390389cd$1_2@news.vphos.net>... >> Is it just me, or did "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" suck big >> time? > >No, it's a much more subtle film than people give it credit for (remember, >the plot, such as it is, is actually just a scam by Palpy) Oh, I saw that too.. (Because after all, he WILL become the Emperor somehow... so I guess he's making his bid for power now. ) > >> Granted, the visual effects were to die for, but the plot seemed badly >> written and overly dependant on having the audience watch the previous >> movies. There was next to no explanation about who was doing what and who >> hated who and why the Trade Federation guys didn't seem to have lip >> movements that matched their dialogue. > >But all the "these Federation types are cowards" type stuff was hilarious - >obviously having a go at Trek. > >> And I thought Star Wars ships didn't >> have shields. Wasn't that one of the "crucial" points in the whole Star >Wars >> vs. Star Trek debate? > >You thought wrong - the big colf-ball things on top of Star Destroyers are >shield generators (and remember the line in ANH- "Switch all power to front >deflector shields". And the whole plot with the shield generator at the >start of ESB...) Exactly. > > >> And am I the only one who thought Jar Jar *wasn't* the most annoying part >of >> the movie? Granted he was pretty stupid at times, but Young Annakin >> Skywalker just made me cringe every time he said anything. > >JarJar was great. Yea... Not the smartest character, but definitely one of the most entertaining,... > >Annakin wasn't quite as dire as I expected, but that's simply because my >expectations of him were so low. (and I choose to believe Artoo was relaly >flying the ship...) Yea, that was -MUCH- more believable than thinking Anakin was controlling it.. (One thing I wondered was, if the shields on the droid control ship are stopping laser bursts and proton torpedo strikes, then how the hell did Anakin's ship get through? ) > >I want to be Darth Maul when I grow up though... > >-- <LOL> Yea.. I think Darth Maul was used just as a throwaway villian to kill off at the end.. it kinda sucked... -LMB

2000-04-26 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (Potato <dreardon@ussenterprise.com>)

Citizen G'Kar wrote in message <01bfae3c$a4c04cc0$b72b883e@lgwujvnl>... > > >But all the "these Federation types are cowards" type stuff was hilarious - >obviously having a go at Trek. > Heh, I never thought of that... >JarJar was great. > Are you drunk? He was great the first few minutes I saw him, but as soon as the scene with him, Obi-wan, and Qui-gon in the Sub began, I actually contemplated suicide... That voice! "Just shut him the fuck up", I said. >Annakin wasn't quite as dire as I expected, but that's simply because my >expectations of him were so low. (and I choose to believe Artoo was relaly >flying the ship...) > Enh... I can wait til' Annakin goes sith. >I want to be Darth Maul when I grow up though... > You'd better not disappoint me. Maul's a tough act to follow, what with those crazy eyes, and bitchen moves...

2000-04-26 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (Taliessen <Taliessen@Canada.com>)

2000-04-27 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - (TheShredder <THESHREDDER1haveaball@prodigy.net>)

2000-04-27 00:00:00 - Re: [OT]: Phantom Menace - ("Louis M. Brown" <phyphor@rocketmail.com>)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:58:57 -0500, "Ta'Teria" <tateria@yahoo.com> wrote: > >Louis M. Brown <phyphor@rocketmail.com> wrote in message >news:5sfagss77kfqalba04ru0e3uhqa8hr16q5@4ax.com... >> On 24 Apr 2000 22:29:41 GMT, "Citizen G'Kar" >> <Narns@allEXCEPTSPAMisurvey.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: >> >> >Annakin wasn't quite as dire as I expected, but that's simply because my >> >expectations of him were so low. (and I choose to believe Artoo was >relaly >> >flying the ship...) >> >> Yea, that was -MUCH- more believable than thinking Anakin was >> controlling it.. > >No, he had to be controlling it. Dont forget from Ep. IV... Obi Wan to Luke >about Anikin already being a great pilot when he met him. Plus the Pod >racing was Ani solo as well... > > > Nah, I meant during the lame autopilot scene. Actually,it's not like Anakin really did much in the way of flying in that part of the movie (except on escaping from the DCS.. ) -LMB